Konerko's dad expects son to test market

SSH2005

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
Discounts do exist.  Thome offered a big one to the Cub.  They turned him down.  Giles gave one to Pitt, Griffey to Cincy, & so on.  Even Sweeney took on more deferred $$ to hang with the Roys.  Both Delgado & Vlad took on backloaded contracts plus deferred $$$ to sign with their new teams.

Then you have the opt out contracts like the Cub & their 3B.  He can opt out & become a FA if he thinks he can earn more.  So there is contract flexibility occuring all over the league for players who really want to stay with their teams.  It's just a question of how bad Paulie wants to remain a White Sox.

Are you kidding me? None of thsoe examples are home town discounts. Google each of these players with the words ''hometown discount'' and see how many people agree with you.

Taking backload deals to sign with a new team is a home town discount? They are still getting their money at one point. Their respected teams will still be paying the same amount and will most likely end up hurting them more after the first two years of the deal.

Players that give hometown discounts are the much cheaper players... not superstars.

Hometown discount to me is when a play could get 48 million@four years but resigns with his current team at 40 million@ four years. Something along those lines...

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Konerko's dad shouldn't be making comments about his contract situation on the eve of the World Series to any reporters.  For those comments, he looks like an ass to all of us fans.

Anyhow, Paul just needs to help us get 4 more wins and I could honestly care less whether or not he is brought back.  Not one of my favorite Sox players at all.  Like his production, hate his inconsistency during the regular season, especially when he sucks for a month or two.

As long as a suitable replacement is brought along, which I think Dye going to 1B could be the move, I'll be satisfied.  Our team is built around pitching, not Konerko.  We don't need any albatross contracts.  Signing Garland to a long term deal should be our top priority this offseason, not Konerko.

How many players around the league hit .300 every month .290 every month, .280 every month, .270 every months of the season? You will be shocked at how few are ''consistent''. Many players will have a couple sub .250 months. What konerko did this year is far from out of the ordinary.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
How many players around the league hit .300 every month .290 every month, .280 every month, .270 every months of the season? You will be shocked at how few are ''consistent''. Many players will have a couple sub .250 months. What konerko did this year is far from out of the ordinary.

Oh, I know that.

But then again, not many players around the league are paid 12-14 million per season either.

Do I think Konerko is our best player? By far.

Is he worth crippling our payroll long term for? Hell no.

Konerko's dad shouldn't be saying anything right now. But it's not like he's not telling the truth. We could've locked him up a long time ago. Kenny chose not to basically because he wanted to see if Paul's 2004 year was the real deal or a fluke. Well, now that he knows it's the real deal, prepare to pay the piper.

Let him go and use the money saved to fill holes like we did with Maggs. First hole is to find a cheap all-star first baseman, maybe someone who is in the top 3 in home runs and RBIs.

Both corners will be gone soon. They are greedy bastards who care more about money than winning.

If Konerko is intent on testing the free-agent market, I won't be angry with his decision. Especially if he helps us win a World Series. It's certaintly his choice whether or not to accept the most lucrative, guaranteed contract, if that happens to be the determining factor in selecting a team.

It's Williams obligation to replace Konerko's production if he leaves. You figure Dye can duplicate a decent portion of the production if moved to 1B. However, Dye's substitue in RF should be an equally powerful bat. No one from within our organization can fit this mold. With the relatively weak market, you can't expect the Sox to outbid anyone.

We're likely looking at a trade revolving around Young/Sweeny. Which is sad. Wouldn't it be great if someone stood up from our minors and made this discussion a non issue? I would love to say once every 6 years, "Letting Konerko go is tough, but that [insert player]--he's special."

Edited by Flash Tizzle

There's no good reason for him to give us a discount. He's had 2 very very good seasons in a row, and his talents are in extremely high demand.

There's also no real good reason for us not to hold onto him, given how far we've made it this year, the attendance growth of this year, and the virtually guaranteed attendance growth next year based on the playoff run this year.

He's simply not going to be able to command Manny Ramirez kind of money, and at the levels he will cost, he's earned the dough in my opinion.

And the Sox do what for somewhat consistant power next year?!? With his influence in the clubhouse and on the field...I'd be pissed if he's not back. Then again...if one of the Rockefeller owners offers him the world...I can't see the Sox matching it. I hate even talking about this crap right now...after 4 wins...ok. So if PK has a crappy series....everybody's gonna say f*** 'im?!?

QUOTE(Wanne @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
And the Sox do what for somewhat consistant power next year?!?  With his influence in the clubhouse and on the field...I'd be pissed if he's not back.  Then again...if one of the Rockefeller owners offers him the world...I can't see the Sox matching it.  I hate even talking about this crap right now...after 4 wins...ok.  So if PK has a crappy series....everybody's gonna say f*** 'im?!?

His Dad made the comments, not the Sox.

He should have taken the high road and said let's focus on the WS and talk about this after the season.

That's the whole reason we are having this convo.

I love how people react to these threads.

Konerko's father can say whatever he wants. Konerko's father is not playing, he is not hitting, nor in the end will he be signing the contract.

This thread is entirely speculation, not to mention who knows the intention, original context of the question, etc.

We will see what happens, and if Konerko is offered a contract that is comparable to the other offers, I believe he will take the White Sox offer.

That is home town discount, giving your team the edge in bargaining.

For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of home town discount, perhaps some reading on the Astros will do the trick. I believe both Pettite and Clemens, rejected much more favorable deals to come to the Astros. Also I believe Andruw Jones made a similar deal.

While none of them came "cheap", they all signed for undermarket value. Which should be the real definition of home town discount.

SB

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
Also I believe Andruw Jones made a similar deal.

6-Year worth 75M- will make in 2002- 9.5M + 3M signing bonus, in 2003-11.5M, in 2004-12M, in 2005-12.5M, in 2006-13M and in 2007-13.5M- +

I would hardly consider that a "hometown" discount. He had a good year this year and it will be a career year for him. This is exactly why the Braves were trying to move him last year, to get rid of this deal.

PK is an anchor in that clubhouse, an elite power hitter (though perhaps not among the league's top 2 or 3), and a professional. He works his butt off to keep getting better. He plays better than average defense at 1st base. And he is one the fan favorites, if not the favorite.

If the Sox can get him for anything like market value, given the extra income they will likely have to play with, I think they'd be making a mistake. Konerko brings a lot more to the house than the 40/100, which by itself is pretty huge.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
We will see what happens, and if Konerko is offered a contract that is comparable to the other offers, I believe he will take the White Sox offer.

And that's the real key...we need to offer Konerko a comparable offer. He's going to get at least 4 years, $50 million offered by someone. He's worth that to me right now, just based on the last 2 years. If someone offers a 5th year, or an option for a 5th year, that's worth consideration too.

I think he'll stay if we make a competitive offer. But by competitive I mean actually paying him, not dicking around with extending out the contract through 2050 like the f***ing lottery. And not just hoping he gives us a hometown discount. We need to match what other teams offer for him until the numbers get crazy (I wouldn't pay $17 mil a year for him, for example).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
And that's the real key...we need to offer Konerko a comparable offer.  He's going to get at least 4 years, $50 million offered by someone.  He's worth that to me right now, just based on the last 2 years.  If someone offers a 5th year, or an option for a 5th year, that's worth consideration too.

I think he'll stay if we make a competitive offer.  But by competitive I mean actually paying him, not dicking around with extending out the contract through 2050 like the f***ing lottery.  And not just hoping he gives us a hometown discount.  We need to match what other teams offer for him until the numbers get crazy (I wouldn't pay $17 mil a year for him, for example).

5 years/60 Mil. That would be my final offer

This was a tough situation for Kenny, and I think he made the right decision in holding out on contract talks. First off, if you pay him earlier in the year, especially with a big contract, you'd rob your team of the famous "year of free agency" performance. So we go through the season, see we're getting to the playoff early on in the season, you still can't pay him because you need him to have that same drive in the postseason. KW's decisions have been right in this regard. Paulie may not like. His father may not like it. So be it, Paulie's in a world series that he may not have been in had he signed a big contract earlier in the season.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
His Dad made the comments, not the Sox.

He should have taken the high road and said let's focus on the WS and talk about this after the season.

That's the whole reason we are having this convo.

True....

The key to getting Konerko re-upped could be that guaranteed 5th year. I have no doubts the Sox will offer him a 4 year deal, he's 29 in his prime, and should still contribute good numbers when he's 33. The 5th year though could be iffy, qwerty's mentioned his injury history with that chronic hip injury before. If a team like the Angels or Dodgers did offer him that 5th year, then I'd be worried. If they don't, I like our chances of re-signing him, since I don't think Paul will play for another team other than us, or someone on the West Coast.

As for trade options if Konerko goes, well you know my feelings on Chad Tracy. Looks like the D-Backs want to dump Gonzo or Troy Glaus instead though to save salary. Glaus would actually be an interesting one, if the D-Backs paid a little of his salary. Of course with Crede here, that's unlikely.

Erubiel Durazo could be a guy to have a comeback year, and he could be signed cheaply but I doubt that would happen.

As for who we would trade, in response to Flash's post, I wouldn't neccesarily feel it would definitely be one of Young or Sweeney. We could trade a starter like Garland or Contreras while their value is at an all time high, or we could trade from our minor league pitching depth like Gio Gonzalez, Ray Liotta or Daniel Haigwood. We've got options at least.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 10:57 PM)
The key to getting Konerko re-upped could be that guaranteed 5th year. I have no doubts the Sox will offer him a 4 year deal, he's 29 in his prime, and should still contribute good numbers when he's 33. The 5th year though could be iffy, qwerty's mentioned his injury history with that chronic hip injury before. If a team like the Angels or Dodgers did offer him that 5th year, then I'd be worried. If they don't, I like our chances of re-signing him, since I don't think Paul will play for another team other than us, or someone on the West Coast.

As for trade options if Konerko goes, well you know my feelings on Chad Tracy. Looks like the D-Backs want to dump Gonzo or Troy Glaus instead though to save salary. Glaus would actually be an interesting one, if the D-Backs paid a little of his salary. Of course with Crede here, that's unlikely.

Erubiel Durazo could be a guy to have a comeback year, and he could be signed cheaply but I doubt that would happen.

As for who we would trade, in response to Flash's post, I wouldn't neccesarily feel it would definitely be one of Young or Sweeney. We could trade a starter like Garland or Contreras while their value is at an all time high, or we could trade from our minor league pitching depth like Gio Gonzalez, Ray Liotta or Daniel Haigwood. We've got options at least.

Couple points...1. I'm not sure I see out there very many people who I think can put up the production of Konerko. Even a Troy Glaus seems a step behind Paulie.

2. If it takes a 5th year...I'm willing to go a 5th year.

3. I absolutely hate trading away pitching depth. Especially the young part of it. I could understand a deal for Contreras if the right offer comes along, or even a deal involving Garland if we can't work out a 3 year deal this offseason with him. But I absolutely hate the idea of trading away Gio et al. These guys come up and are so bloody cheap that if they're even good, not great, they build your team a lot just by saving you money.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
Lyle Overbay.. Come on down your the next Sox 1st Basemen

After the ALCS, I wanted Pauly to stay, but there are other needs that this team needs in the Offseason. Which of course I will address when the series is over.

If we win it all, Wouldn't a logical answer be to keep the team as is? IF it ain't broke don't fix it.