KW optimistic about Konerko

southsider2k5

Ken Williams knows that beginning Friday, the Los Angeles Angels, Boston Red Sox, New York Mets and perhaps another five to 10 teams will be wooing Paul Konerko. He is prepared for an extended period of uncertainty as the free-agent process plays out but remains confident Konerko will decide to remain with the White Sox.

"Ultimately, when all is said and done, the player wants to be in Chicago and the club wants him to be in Chicago," the Sox general manager said Tuesday. "I'm optimistic something will work out."

Williams has been saluted by St. Louis' Walt Jocketty and others of his peers at the annual general managers' meetings. But the possibility his club could lose Konerko after he produced five homers and 15 RBIs in 12 playoff games is keeping Williams from enjoying himself as much as he could.

Williams and assistant Rick Hahn expect to meet with Konerko's agent, Craig Landis, through the end of the meetings on Thursday, the last day clubs hold exclusive rights to their own free agents. It is not known if the Sox will make a last-ditch effort to re-sign Konerko because Landis has made it clear Konerko wants to entertain outside offers before deciding where he wants to spend 2006.

Konerko's starting point for offers appears to be the four-year, $50.5 million deal Seattle gave first baseman Richie Sexson a year ago. Given that Konerko has better regular-season statistics and is coming off a great postseason, as well as the shortage of run-producers in this free-agent crop, his value could soar beyond Sexson's.

That may take it beyond where the White Sox deem it prudent to go. But the club's respect for Konerko—who presented Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf with the ball from the last out of the World Series at the team's victory parade—will keep Williams from setting deadlines or issuing ultimatums.

"Paul and his camp were amenable to sitting down and talking about [an extension before the 2005] season," Williams said. "I made the decision I wanted to see how all the pieces fit together. At this point, I can't very well elect not to return their respect. At the least, I have to let him look at his options."

Konerko, who turns 30 next spring, has had 40-plus home runs for two years in a row and driven in at least 97 runs in five of the last six seasons. He hit .283 with 40 homers and 100 RBIs last season, when he drew a team-high 81 walks and scored 98 runs.

Williams said Konerko could have had numbers similar to the New York Yankees' Alex Rodriguez and Boston's David Ortiz, who are front-runners to win the American League's Most Valuable Player award, if he had been a more selfish hitter.

"I think Paul deserves the MVP award," Williams said. "The man sacrificed himself and [his] numbers in a lot of ways to help the ballclub—moving runners over when he had to, taking pitches when he had to. Put him in another situation and he would have had some quality, MVP-type numbers."

Regardless of Konerko's future, the key to the club's future success probably lies more with its pitching than a first baseman.

Konerko said as much after the American League Championship Series, of which he was named MVP. He said he wanted to cut the award into four parts for Jose Contreras, Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland and Freddy Garcia.

"Those guys were horses and I was just along for the ride," Konerko said. "Really, we all were."

Williams hopes Konerko will want to take another spin around October with those pitchers. But the reality is that more marketable free agents sign elsewhere than decide to return to their original clubs.

"If we don't have Paul, it's not like Juan Uribe and Joe Crede are going to throw the ball into the stands because no one's there to catch it," Williams said. "Somebody will be there. We'll figure this out just like we figured things out last year when Magglio [Ordonez] was gone, Carlos [Lee] was gone. The whole of the team is more important than any individual piece."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
The Sun Times says the Sox are expected to offer a 4 year deal, in the $52 million range...but he is expected to test free agency.

Which was stated weeks ago... no surprises here.

"Paul and his camp were amenable to sitting down and talking about [an extension before the 2005] season," Williams said. "I made the decision I wanted to see how all the pieces fit together. At this point, I can't very well elect not to return their respect. At the least, I have to let him look at his options."

Proper respect being shown by KW here. Hopefully, there is enough mutual respect that they're able to work something out.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
does anyone else feel that 4/52 is shockingly (almost insultingly) low in terms of years/total money

Its part of the process. No one goes in and says here is the max deal for the first offer. I remember people getting worked up(I was one of them) over KW low balling Iguchi and how he wasnt going to play here and we would have Harris playing 2nd again. It all worked out. We will make fair offers to our guys, but only a fool would give the max offer as the starting point.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
does anyone else feel that 4/52 is shockingly (almost insultingly) low in terms of years/total money

I think it's pretty fair, but I also think it's a starting point (as others have said). I think 5/60 is fair too. But anything past 5 years or more than 65 mill or so, and I think you are probably overpaying.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)

$13M/yr is probably right what he deserves. I would rather scatter these funds to lock up Garland, Creded and AJ long term but they need to keep a big bat in the middle of the lineup.

I think this is as high as they go.

He is a one tool player, power that is it.

I just hope this does not linger.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
I think it's pretty fair, but I also think it's a starting point (as others have said).  I think 5/60 is fair too.  But anything past 5 years or more than 65 mill or so, and I think you are probably overpaying.

Exactly...and then in a few years, if production is down, we'll be screwed by the deal.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
$13M/yr is probably right what he deserves.  I would rather scatter these funds to lock up Garland, Creded and AJ long term but they need to keep a big bat in the middle of the lineup.

I think this is as high as they go.

He is a one tool player, power that is it.

I just hope this does not linger.

One tool? What about his speed?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:28 AM)
One tool?  What about his speed?

All teams fear the speed of Konerko!!!

Seriously though, he's not one-tool. He is a strong defender at 1B. This is something people seem to overlook. And he has had some .300 (or close) seasons in addition to his power numbers.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
All teams fear the speed of Konerko!!!

Seriously though, he's not one-tool.  He is a strong defender at 1B.  This is something people seem to overlook.  And he has had some .300 (or close) seasons in addition to his power numbers.

Defense is good...but limited range...he is pretty much a 1 tool player...

5/$65 definitely seems to be the highest he can get that makes sense. That's right around what Adrian Beltre got. Beltre was coming off a far superior season (still not sure where that 104-48-121 with .334/.388/.629 came from, in a pitcher's park none the less), but was also much more inconsistent before that season.

However, regardless of what happens, I now have faith in Kenny to find an acceptable replacement for the middle of the order.