Crede, Garland, Pierzynski

VAfan

Now's also the time for the Sox to sign up Crede, Garland, and Pierzynski for another 3 years.

Crede, with Scott Boras as his agent, could be difficult to deal with if we wait until he has a breakout year to sign. He's clearly had breakout months. He's proven his postseason worth. But he has health issues and consistency issues that keep his value suppressed. Now's the time to lock him up for at least the next 3 years to a reasonable contract, with an option for a 4th year if he's agreeable. I can see Crede hitting: 35 HRs, with a .280 avg. at some point. He exceeds those numbers during several months of the season, but can't sustain it. Once he starts to sustain it, he's going to be one of the best 3Bs in baseball.

Garland should also be kept for another 3 years. We're going to have to deal with Contreras, Buehrle, and Garcia in coming years. Now's the time to lock up Garland so we don't have to worry about him too next year.

AJ Pierzynski may have been the Sox' MVP. Without him, does anyone think Garland would have come around so well? What role did he have in the improvements of Cotts or Politte? He calls a tremendous game, he's a lefty with some pop, and he's got a killer attitude. With no other catchers anywhere on the horizon, we need to lock him up too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Garland and AJ but I don't know if I'd lock up Crede unless you'd be getting a good value. Also, considering the Sox still have lingering concerns about his back, I'd say the odds of them offering him a long term deal at this point are slim.

My hope is that Crede drops Boras as his agent (much like Uribe did).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
I agree with Garland and AJ but I don't know if I'd lock up Crede unless you'd be getting a good value.  Also, considering the Sox still have lingering concerns about his back, I'd say the odds of them offering him a long term deal at this point are slim.

My hope is that Crede drops Boras as his agent (much like Uribe did).

The team should offer Crede a 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd year. Something around what Uribe got. Fields is not ready and will not be ready for at least 2 years, possibly more...we should expect to see Crede at 3rd at least until then.

The beauty of the Thome deal is it lets us sign Konerko to come to roughly the same total salary we spent last year...which means that the attendance boost from last year and from having the 2nd best 1-2 punch in baseball in our lineup and the best starting rotation in baseball next year can go entirely to locking people up.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
I don't get why Crede is so sure to hit for a decent average... He came up big in the playoffs... It's just as likely he never comes close to anything similar and hits .240 next year... and his track record would lean toward the latter...

He hit well in everything but 2 months so far the majority of the season he was .300 plus hitter with a damn good OPS.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
I don't get why Crede is so sure to hit for a decent average... He came up big in the playoffs... It's just as likely he never comes close to anything similar and hits .240 next year... and his track record would lean toward the latter...

Joe Crede is certainly not sure to hit for a decent average. He gets himself locked into horrific slumps.

But the solution is really simple...if Crede can just shorten those slumps from a month to a week, suddenly he'll be a .280 hitter or better.

Last year, he had 2 horrifically bad months, one of which may be due to injury. When he came back from the 2nd, he had a new hitting approach that worked to a T. If he can hold onto that approach, and keep his shoulder closed, he's as deadly as any hitter in our lineup.

Crede's back would be a major question if I was Kenny...but I'd love to see him locked up for 3 more years.

As for AJ...he is absolutely A MUST!!! He's filled a hole and solidified a position that has been such a question mark for years...not to mention the influence he has on his teammates. In my mind...almost everybody on this team is replaceable to some extent...EXCEPT AJ!

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
Crede's back would be a major question if I was Kenny...but I'd love to see him locked up for 3 more years.

As for AJ...he is absolutely A MUST!!!  He's filled a hole and solidified a position that has been such a question mark for years...not to mention the influence he has on his teammates.  In my mind...almost everybody on this team is replaceable to some extent...EXCEPT AJ!

Agreed. I want no part of the days of Mark Johnson, Josh Paul and Miguel Olivo. AJ flat out spoiled us last year.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 06:59 AM)
Agreed.  I want no part of the days of Mark Johnson,  Josh Paul and Miguel Olivo.  AJ flat out spoiled us last year.

When you see the market for catchers this off-season though (e.g Jomina getting 3 years/16M), it makes me a little nervous as to what A.J could get.

But we need to lock him up, no ifs or buts. A lot of people thought he was the main addition that really kickstarted this team, and the stats prove it (e.g CERA compared to previous catchers etc.)

I think a very strong case could be made that AJ Pierzynski was the best FA signing of last off season -- by ANY TEAM.

As for Crede, I think the back issues give KW leverage to get a reasonable price from Scott Boras. And I think this has to be the year to strike. As someone said, after he came off the DL, he started hitting much better, and carried it all the way through the postseason, where he was arguably our MVP. If he can avoid his slump months, the guy is going to hit 30 HRs, and then he'll be too pricey. Sign him now.

Garland, as well, is a must. He's only going to get better.

I agree with the goal of locking the three in, but am not optimistic it can get done. I would want to incentivize Crede's contract a little. That back of his should give a little pause. Plus, it would be a definitive proof of the existence of God if Borass actually was on the positive side of a Sox deal.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)

For whatever reason, there have been a lot more whispers about Crede's back in the last week. This concerns me when considering keeping him long term. It concerns me even more than the fact that Crede has never put a full season together yet. Will he hit year round like he did in the playoffs is a question yet to be answered. I don't see KW making out a big check any time soon.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
For whatever reason, there have been a lot more whispers about Crede's back in the last week.  This concerns me when considering keeping him long term.  It concerns me even more than the fact that Crede has never put a full season together yet.  Will he hit year round like he did in the playoffs is a question yet to be answered.  I don't see KW making out a big check any time soon.

They do seem to be more concerned about Crede's back than we were led to believe. We are just going to see how this one plays out.

If there's one guy the Sox should overpay, I think it's AJ. The Sox got him at a bargain rate, and they need to make good with him for what he's given so far and what he stands to contribute for years to come.

Catcher, left-handed stick, clubhouse LEADER ( not a cancer at all from everything I saw and read ). All these things are necessary for a team to compete.

The intangibles ( like the swagger and "f*** you" attitude ) are bonuses you get from AJ.

He's been terrific for this Sox team, and I want to see #12 locked up for 3 or 4 more years!

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
They do seem to be more concerned about Crede's back than we were led to believe.  We are just going to see how this one plays out.

100% agreement. look how stable, granted we never won a series, the team look with fisk behind the plate

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE(hi8is @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
im sorry but i wouldnt offer crede a 3/15 just yet.

I must say, I should know precisely where Crede is in the arbitration/FA cycle. I'm sure he's not a FA next year, but I assume he would be in 2 years, correct??

That being the case, if Crede eliminates his terrible months, he's going to crack 30 HRs, with an OPS in the mid-.800s. At that point, Boras is going to start demanding $8-10 million/season, and he'd certainly get it the last year of arbitration and the first year of free agency.

So a 3/15 deal seems pretty reasonable for the Sox to me. Remember, we can always insure the contract in case Crede's back puts him on the DL.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
I must say, I should know precisely where Crede is in the arbitration/FA cycle.  I'm sure he's not a FA next year, but I assume he would be in 2 years, correct??

That being the case, if Crede eliminates his terrible months, he's going to crack 30 HRs, with an OPS in the mid-.800s.  At that point, Boras is going to start demanding $8-10 million/season, and he'd certainly get it the last year of arbitration and the first year of free agency.

So a 3/15 deal seems pretty reasonable for the Sox to me.  Remember, we can always insure the contract in case Crede's back puts him on the DL.

5 million per for .240-.250 and 22 homers and a bad back. Crede would be a thief to get this.

Wow what how much does a good hitter cost.

Edited by southsideirish71

i have no doubt in my mind that crede will crack out of his shell if he is healthy..... so if there was a clause in his contract about his back.... yeah, id do 3/15 for him.... i think he finally put it all together and will continue to improve.....

my main devation was just his back.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)
I must say, I should know precisely where Crede is in the arbitration/FA cycle.  I'm sure he's not a FA next year, but I assume he would be in 2 years, correct??

That being the case, if Crede eliminates his terrible months, he's going to crack 30 HRs, with an OPS in the mid-.800s.  At that point, Boras is going to start demanding $8-10 million/season, and he'd certainly get it the last year of arbitration and the first year of free agency.

So a 3/15 deal seems pretty reasonable for the Sox to me.  Remember, we can always insure the contract in case Crede's back puts him on the DL.

We have Crede for I believe 3 years under arbitration.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 19, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
We have Crede for I believe 3 years under arbitration.

Everyone likes to act like he is a free agent after this upcoming season. I have a good feeling the sox will be parting ways with crede within the next three years and it will be sooner rather than later. I have grown to almost like him... but some of the excuses to keep him are crazy. If you just eliminate those two months and that at-bat and after he came back from blah blah... well in sports you just cannot take away games and say they never happened. He is responsible for what he did under any circumstances. I never see crede consistenly being a .280-.290 type hitter, but .260's with 20-30 home run power with great defense ( he was better than blalock but everyone thinks other wise because of a couple statistics... when far better say other wise) would be nothing to be ashamed of.

Anyway, i just don't see him for the long term and i do not see him reaching the numbers i have seen for him this off-season.

As for Crede, I think the back issues give KW leverage to get a reasonable price from Scott Boras.  And I think this has to be the year to strike.  As someone said, after he came off the DL, he started hitting much better, and carried it all the way through the postseason, where he was arguably our MVP.  If he can avoid his slump months, the guy is going to hit 30 HRs, and then he'll be too pricey.  Sign him now. 

Garland, as well, is a must.  He's only going to get better.

:lol:

Yeah right, Boras is gonna give the White Sox a reasonable price.

And Garland, who wants to play on the west coast, will take whatever the White Sox offer.

Haven't all these issues been discussed till we puke in other threads? It appears people don't read or jsut like to start new threads.

Point #1- garland does not want to resign here. He likes california thats where he will go. it really doens't matter what KW wants or if the sox give him 10 million. He will become a free agent.

Point #2 - Crede will not sign long term if his agent is boras. May not happen this year but he will be gone unless he changes agents.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Haven't all these issues been discussed till we puke in other threads? It appears people don't read or jsut like to start new threads.

Point #1- garland does not want to resign here. He likes california thats where he will go. it really doens't matter what KW wants or if the sox give him 10 million. He will become a free agent.

Point #2 - Crede will not sign long term if his agent is boras. May not happen this year but he will be gone unless he changes agents.

Why is this so hard for people to understand?

Most people get it. VAFan doesn't.