Paulie's offer

LDF

I have seen stories from all sorts of media pundits about where PK is going. They are all conflicting, and there is no telling who might be right.

Bottom line for me: KW still says, repeatedly, that he thinks PK will likely come back. I doubt he'd say that if there was anything less than a good chance, lest he make himself look like an idiot. And I'll take words from KW over any media folks any time.

Therefore, I'm still betting he's coming back. Better than a 50-50 chance, I believe.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is any base to those offers, I think the White Sox can certainly hold their own when it comes to ponying-up for Paulie. I've gone on record saying I would hand PK a 5 Year, $65M deal today. You never really know with JR. After Paulie brought his club a World Championship after 88 years and the little last-out ball gesture at the parade, he may be willing to give Paulie the contract and bring the face of the franchise--outside Ozzie Guillen--back.

It may just come down to if Paulie sees himself living in the midwest and playing for the White Sox for what seems to be the latter-part of his career. If Paulie wants to be a Sox, and the organization is able to give him the deal he is looking for, he'll be back.

Come back, Paulie. You're certainly Plan A and I don't even want to think about what types of moves would be made during the executions of Plan B, C, D, etc. Gotta have you back.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
Rick Hahn (sp?) had a quote on the Score that said they would take the money and spend it on other players, which might be a no brainer, but it's good to hear.

What other players? There's really no other option available at all this year for PK's money, and aside from 1b, we don't really have any obvious places in our lineup to put someone. Are we gonna remove Podsednik now? Dye? Uribe? Crede? And who's available to fill those slots?

After 2006, yeah there's a good free agent crop, probably led by the Lee's, but seriously...who is out there this year who could provide anything close to what we'd be losing by letting PK walk?

Furthermore, how in the name of Hell would we expect to be able to beat the Angels next year if they run both Vlad and PK at you?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
What other players?  There's really no other option available at all this year for PK's money, and aside from 1b, we don't really have any obvious places in our lineup to put someone.  Are we gonna remove Podsednik now?  Dye?  Uribe?  Crede?  And who's available to fill those slots?

After 2006, yeah there's a good free agent crop, probably led by the Lee's, but seriously...who is out there this year who could provide anything close to what we'd be losing by letting PK walk?

Furthermore, how in the name of Hell would we expect to be able to beat the Angels next year if they run both Vlad and PK at you?

You can never have too much pitching

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
You can never have too much pitching

Ok, who's available to pitch? Right now we have 6 starting pitchers, a full bullpen, and the only real quality bullpen guys have already been grabbed (aside from basically Wickman).

Seriously...for us to hire pitching, we'd have to find someone who's a better option than the guys we have now, and there's not a single pitcher on the market other than AJ Burnett who even comes close, and given that he'd cost almost as much as PK and he wouldn't really be better than anyone in our staff except MAYBE Garcia...that answer doesn't tell me anything.

You can have too much pitching if you have so much pitching that you can't throw guys out there, and you can have too much pitching if you have so much you can't afford an offense (for example; Minnesota last year).

The White Sox are now in a new category: an October team. The goal is not merely making the playoffs; it is reaching the WS and repeating. That said, personnel moves should focus on getting the final ingredients that can win the Series. I was at game 2. Konerko is an "ingredient". When you look at all his stats, he might not be worth the cost for most teams because they might well not get a team to the playoffs if they wouldn't make it otherwise. However, once in the playoffs (as the Sox now expect to do), Paulie becomes that almost priceless final piece that can deliver a championship. Other players (or groups thereof) may yield better stats over a season, but how many can do what Konerko did on the biggest stage? Last year Vlad couldn't, A-Rod couldn't, Manny couldn't, Andrew couldn't...

SFF

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
Well, there's always money in the banana stand.

You know with the nice newbig contract paulie will get he will be able to buy alot of 6000 dollar suits COME ON.......

and by the way they are taking it off the air....yea i know its BS

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
At 29, he would be younger than Thome at the end of this contract. I don't have a problem going 5 with Paul, depending on the total dollars. I was expecting 4/$52-$55 so 5/for about the same dollars seems reasonable.

Of course he should be offering a home town discount and is he doesn't sign he's a greedy asshole.

*He'll be 30 before Opening Day 2006.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
You know with the nice newbig contract paulie will get he will be able to buy alot of 6000 dollar suits COME ON.......

and by the way they are taking it off the air....yea i know its BS

He can also buy a s*** load of ding dongs. Hopefully he'll remember to take the foil wrappers off when he puts them in the microwave.

Man, I'm gonna miss that show!

according to the trib several teams have finally offer money to paulie. it appears as angels reportedly offer 4/50 for 12 mil a yr and bal has offered 5/60 for 12 mil a yr as well.

so now we know what the money is.

offer kong 65. he'll come back for that.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Latest off from LA Angels- 5 year/60 million

Lets see if we can match that offer. That should be the highest outside offer he recieves. 12/year is less than the 13/year we offered. But if that 5th offers is the key to a deal- just give it to him! He's earned it.

The annual salary won't necessarily be that high. The contracts will include the signing bonus, so the 5 yr @ $60 million can have a $5 million signing bonus and the salary usually increases over time. So the Sox could actually get Paulie for around $10 this year with annual increases that push it to $12 or $13 in the 4th or 5th year.

I like Paulie, but paying 5yr/60mil is grossly overpaying Paulie. I realizing that this is an unpopular sentiment and there is not a thing on the market to replace him with, but reality is often hard to face. That is an average of $12 mil per year for 5 years. An elite group of player make that much or more, and I am not sure Paulie compares since his is such a streaky hitter. But hell, the Mets paid more for Beltran who had one good year and one awesome playoffs and that's it.

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

According to a source close to the situation, the Angels have made Paul Konerko an offer of close to 65 million for five years, and he's expected to make a decision on the contract sometime this week. The Chicago White Sox free agent first baseman, who helped lead the team to the World Series title, is due in town today or Tuesday to meet with Angel officials and look around the area for possible housing. More details as they become available........

http://1bignasty.com/jblog/columns.html

Apparently this guy is very reliable and broke several sport stories first like Shaq signing to the Lakers, Magic Johnson coming back, Angels getting Kendry Morales, and the Vlad signing.