McCarthy to start the season in bullpen

SSH2005

I know this isn't shocking news but...

On the Score, Joe Cowley said that Don Cooper told him that Brandon McCarthy would start the season in the bullpen barring any injuries to the rotation, such as Garcia or Vazquez getting hurt from pitching in the WBC. The Sox will try McCarthy in a variety of bullpen roles. I assume this means that they will try him in long relief, middle relief, and setup and find the best spot for him. Joe Cowley will have an article on this story tomorrow in the Daily Southtown.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
Anyone else have the feeling that BMac will record a non-trivial amount of saves this year?

I still think he'll wind up being a starter very early in this season though.

Nope. I've been telling people since the offseason started that he would be in the bullpen. Everyone kept telling me that he would be a starter, bank on it. Here's more proof. He isn't starting unless someone gets injured badly. At that, he won't be nothing more than a spot starter.

This what I expected, and wanted. McCarthy can be an ultra utility bullpen pitcher for us. I loved seeing come out of the pen in Aug and Sept when Duque or someone else needed to be bailed out. He kept us in many a games and will make our bullpen stronger.

Cotts never had much success starting, whereas BMAC has a proven minor league track record and at least one brief season of mostly quality starting pitching. Cotts also doesn't have the assortment of major league pitches that BMAC has, which is another reason I think the Sox put Cotts in the bullpen.

I wouldn't worry about BMAC being a permantent member of the Sox Pen. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cotts given a chance to start in 2007.

QUOTE(2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:38 PM)
I hope this doesnt end up like neal cotts, yes im happy that cotts is a top reliever in the game but wasnt he going to be a starter??? Even if BMac is great in the pen i sure hope they dont keep him there.

:gosox1:

Bmac has control of 4 pitches that he can throw for strikes. Cotts has 2 pitches, and up until last year had a real hard time controlling them for strikes.

Bmac has shown command and control of more than 2 pitches. He has a great changeup and is a bulldog out there. Neal up until last year had a hard time finding the strikezone. His stuff was always there, his control wasnt. In the bullpen he can get away with 2 good pitches and facing batters maybe once. In the bullpen he doesnt have a long time to overthink, Coop calls down to the pen, Cave gets Cotts up. In a few minutes he can be in the game.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
Bmac has control of 4 pitches that he can throw for strikes.  Cotts has 2 pitches, and up until last year had a real hard time controlling them for strikes.

Bmac has shown command and control of more than 2 pitches.  He has a great changeup and is a bulldog out there. Neal up until last year had a hard time finding the strikezone.  His stuff was always there, his control wasnt.  In the bullpen he can get away with 2 good pitches and facing batters maybe once.  In the bullpen he doesnt have a long time to overthink, Coop calls down to the pen, Cave gets Cotts up.  In a few minutes he can be in the game.

BMac has 4 pitches that he can throw for strikes? Curveball, Fastball(which gets hammered once he goes away from his changeup), and a mediocre changeup. What's the last pitch?

I don't remember Cotts' repotoire, but I thought he has like 3 good pitches. I know one of them is a cutter.

BMac has 4 pitches that he can throw for strikes? Curveball, Fastball(which gets hammered once he goes away from his changeup), and a mediocre changeup. What's the last pitch?

4-seamer

2-seamer

Curve

Change

I believe McCarthy learned how to throw a 2-seamer at Charlotte last year. His 4-seamer still seems to be as straight as an arrow though. Obviously, his curveball is great. When the Sox brought him up the first time to face the Cubs, etc., he didn't even use his changeup. When they brought him up the second time, his changeup was awesome towards the end of the season. Don't you remember how nasty it was against the Red Sox and Rangers?

And he does throw his pitches for strikes. It's just that his fastball is often hammered because it's so straight. This is why he was so bad when he was called up the first time. Like you already mentioned, he didn't use his changeup at all and his fastball must have made hitters drool when that's all he kept throwing right down the pipe.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
I believe McCarthy learned how to throw a 2-seamer at Charlotte last year.  His 4-seamer still seems to be as straight as an arrow though.  Obviously, his curveball is great.  When the Sox brought him up the first time to face the Cubs, etc., he didn't even use his changeup.  When they brought him up the second time, his changeup was awesome towards the end of the season.  Don't you remember how nasty it was against the Red Sox and Rangers?

And he does throw his pitches for strikes.  It's just that his fastball is often hammered because it's so straight.  This is why he was so bad when he was called up the first time.  Like you already mentioned, he didn't use his changeup at all and his fastball must have made hitters drool when that's all he kept throwing right down the pipe.

I've heard he was working on a 2-seamer as well...but it's hardly been mentionned in the past few months except here, and mainly by me. There's a chance that they just decided they didn't want him to screw up his mechanics, but I still think him throwing a 2 seamer would be a good idea. He's got that tall, lanky frame that will let him really get on top of it.

Anywho...that change up is absolutely devastating when teamed with his other pitches. That pitch is going to be his key pitch, since it makes it impossible to sit on anything else he throws, and at least thus far, people have had about as much picking it up as they have Santanas.

If he can mix just a few sinkers in every game to keep people off balance...there ain't gonna be no one who can hit that kid.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)
4-seamer

2-seamer

Curve

Change

I believe McCarthy learned how to throw a 2-seamer at Charlotte last year.  His 4-seamer still seems to be as straight as an arrow though.  Obviously, his curveball is great.  When the Sox brought him up the first time to face the Cubs, etc., he didn't even use his changeup.  When they brought him up the second time, his changeup was awesome towards the end of the season.  Don't you remember how nasty it was against the Red Sox and Rangers?

And he does throw his pitches for strikes.  It's just that his fastball is often hammered because it's so straight.  This is why he was so bad when he was called up the first time.  Like you already mentioned, he didn't use his changeup at all and his fastball must have made hitters drool when that's all he kept throwing right down the pipe.

I remember watching the red sox and Ranger games with Bmac pitching. In the red sox game his change up was PWNING the red sox hitters.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
I've heard he was working on a 2-seamer as well...but it's hardly been mentionned in the past few months except here, and mainly by me.  There's a chance that they just decided they didn't want him to screw up his mechanics, but I still think him throwing a 2 seamer would be a good idea.  He's got that tall, lanky frame that will let him really get on top of it.

Anywho...that change up is absolutely devastating when teamed with his other pitches.  That pitch is going to be his key pitch, since it makes it impossible to sit on anything else he throws, and at least thus far, people have had about as much picking it up as they have Santanas.

If he can mix just a few sinkers in every game to keep people off balance...there ain't gonna be no one who can hit that kid.

the scouting reports from the year mccarthy went nuts at AA and A ball all said he was working on his change and it wasnt a major league ready pitch yet. they said he got guys out by working corners, studying hitters weaknesses and dropping his big curve. what is evident now though is that his change has developed into his best pitch. i remember reading a rosenthall article that said the bosox couldnt believe that he was left off the roster, because his change up is as good as any righty has in the league. the bosox hitters said it was almost like a lefthanded curve ball or a screw ball with way more drop...comes in on righties. if you go thru the pics for sigs and look at bmacs grip on it, you can see why...he holds it with his pinky, ring finger and thumb...nuts...

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 01:42 AM)
the scouting reports from the year mccarthy went nuts at AA and A ball all said he was working on his change and it wasnt a major league ready pitch yet. they said he got guys out by working corners, studying hitters weaknesses and dropping his big curve. what is evident now though is that his change has developed into his best pitch. i remember reading a rosenthall article that said the bosox couldnt believe that he was left off the roster, because his change up is as good as any righty has in the league. the bosox hitters said it was almost like a lefthanded curve ball or a screw ball with way more drop...comes in on righties. if you go thru the pics for sigs and look at bmacs grip on it, you can see why...he holds it with his pinky, ring finger and thumb...nuts...

Considering how utterly dominant he was in AA, even without the changeup, how do you think he would do if he went back to AA now? I know its pure fantasy, but I just wonder what kind of numbers he would put up down there.

SFF

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
Considering how utterly dominant he was in AA, even without the changeup, how do you think he would do if he went back to AA now?  I know its pure fantasy, but I just wonder what kind of numbers he would put up down there. 

SFF

If I remember he was more dominant in High A than AA..... but that can go with a lot of prospects... how would Ervin Santana do in AA now or Papelbon or Zach Duke...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
Bmac's fastball had a ton more movement on it when he came back up for the 2nd stint.  His arm angle was all out of sorts when he first came up hence why he wasn't throwing his change at all and why his fb was as straight as an arrow.

I don't know who saw his pitching clinic and who did not at Soxfest, but he said the reason he was pitching so badly at that point in the season was that his arm angle had faded downwards. Brandon said he is most successful when his arm angle is fully over the top and he is throwing straight downhill. His length makes the pitch gets on the hitter quicker, and all of his pitches come out of the same arm angle, so he also has that deception working for him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 06:48 AM)
I don't know who saw his pitching clinic and who did not at Soxfest, but he said the reason he was pitching so badly at that point in the season was that his arm angle had faded downwards.  Brandon said he is most successful when his arm angle is fully over the top and he is throwing straight downhill.  His length makes the pitch gets on the hitter quicker, and all of his pitches come out of the same arm angle, so he also has that deception working for him.

He also was throwing like 1-2 changeups a game in his first stint up. He can say all he wants about his arm angle...but if he doesn't throw that changeup, he's a fastball/curveball pitcher, and he won't win like that.

Good its official. Hopefully that will stop any of the trade Jose Contreras talk. Believe me Bmac will play a HUGE role this year. Just because he isn't a starter doesn't mean he wont pitch often. This will not retard his development. If anything it will improve it, he will pitch during high intense moments of many games. And if anything to stretch him back out to become a starter he should just play some winter league after the season.