Sox Claim Rusty Tucker off waivers

joemg311

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Left-handed pitcher Rusty Tucker is designated for reassignment. The announcement was made by GM Kevin Towers.

He's 25 and appeared in relief for Double-A Mobile last season, going 3-2, with a 5.31 ERA in 52 games. His five-year career stats in the minors: 12-15, 4.23 ERA, 56 saves in 206 appearances.

From a 2003 San Diego Padres Top 10 Prospects chat transcript:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/chat/...padreschat.html

Q:  Brian from Washington DC asks:

Jim, who are a few of the prospects in the system that are potential top 10 guys next season but didn't make it into this list? 

A:  Jim Callis: LHP Rusty Tucker would have made the Top 10 if he wasn't going to miss all or most of 2004 following Tommy John surgery. RHP Jared Wells, a draft-and-follow signed before the 2003 draft, has one of the best arms in the system. RHP Javier Martinez, if he can stay healthy and focused, could shoot way up the list. C George Kottaras is a nice sleeper as well.

Q:  J.A. from Minneapolis asks:

With Hoffman, Beck and Otsuka in the pen, the Padres really seem to have upgraded a very weak spot from 2003. Including guys like Linebrink and Witasick, they only seem to need a lefty or 2 to plug in to make a plus bullpen. Is there any help coming in the system? Can Bynum fill that role? 

A:  Jim Callis: You're right, they have upgraded their pen. Otsuka hadn't signed when I did the Top 10, and he'll probably fit in at No. 5 for the Prospect Handbook. Rusty Tucker could be a dynamic bullpen lefty if he comes back from Tommy John surgery. Matt Hampton isn't ready yet, so Mike Bynum and his slider might be the best bet for 2004. Chris Oxspring has a better arm, but San Diego will try to bring him along as a starter.

I guess he has a mid-90's fastball, or at least he did before his Tommy John surgery. No surprise once again -- good stuff, horrible control. Seems like a trend with all the lefties KW has acquired.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
I guess he has a mid-90's fastball, or at least he did before his Tommy John surgery.  No surprise once again -- good stuff, horrible control.  Seems like a trend with all the lefties KW has acquired.

Not a bad gamble. I hope someone exceeds expecatations and performs well. Don't want someone with a 6.00ERA during Spring Training on our squad because he was merely the best of the crappy selection.

Not a bad gamble. I hope someone exceeds expecatations and performs well. Don't want someone with a 6.00ERA during Spring Training on our squad because he was merely the best of the crappy selection.

Oh, I totally agree. There's a reason all of these "good stuff" lefties are available. If they had good control they would all be on MLB rosters already. KW is just grabbing a ton of these lefties and hoping one of them sticks, just like Marte did in 2002.

You have to think Almanza is the favorite. We know how Ozzie is when it comes to cats he feels strongly about. I don't know if he influenced the the front office to sign him, but, if he did, I bet there are still some good vibes there from the Marlins WS run.

Hearing both Kenny and Ozzie speak at Soxfest, it appears Lil' Arnie would have to walk on water to change their opinions of him and bring him aboard.

It's a good addition, and the fact that it was Tommy John surgery rather than a rotator cuff or labrum is probably good news...it seems as though some pitchers handle Tommy John surgery much better than they do injuries to the shoulder - comparing Jon Rauch and AJ Burnett are great examples. Given, Burnett also had success prior to the surgery, whereas Rauch did not, but Rauch looked like a stud coming out of the minors, and shoulder problems have pretty much messed up his entire career.

I like it. Still relatively young, though not a prospect by any means. Lot of upside still in Tucker.

Bringing guys like this in doesn't hurt. The worst thing that can happen is that they continue to suck and you release them or send them to the minors. I just wouldn't expect one of them to shine. Guys like Wunsch and Jenks, guys that are picked up off the garbage heap and become solid contributors are the exception rather than the rule. Hopefully at least one of the lefties brought in will not remind us of Kevin Walker, although Walker was pretty good for most of spring training last year IIRC.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Bringing guys like this in doesn't hurt. The worst thing that can happen is that they continue to suck and you release them or send them to the minors. I just wouldn't expect one of them to shine. Guys like Wunsch and Jenks, guys that are picked up off the garbage heap and become solid contributors are the exception rather than the rule. Hopefully at least one of the lefties brought in will not remind us of Kevin Walker, although Walker was pretty good for most of spring training last year IIRC.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. There's basically no risk when adding these types of guys. The competition is gonna be fierce, though.

Here is Baseball America's Profile from 2003.

9. Rusty Tucker, lhp

Age: 22. B-T: R-L. Ht.: 6-1. Wt.: 190. Drafted: Maine, 2001 (21st round). Signed by: Rene Mons.

Background: Tucker was the America East Conference pitcher of the year in 2001 but had fringe-average stuff. He touched the low 90s in his pro debut but was wild, leading the Pioneer League in walks, and lacked confidence. All of sudden, he threw 94-97 mph in 2002, as managers rated him the best reliever in the Midwest League.

Strengths: The Padres aren’t sure how Tucker started throwing in the mid-90s and touching 99, but they’re not complaining. They tried to slow down his delivery so he could throw more strikes, but didn’t expect this. His slider also improved, reaching 79-81 mph with nice bite. He has a fearless closer’s mentality.

Weaknesses: There isn’t much deception to Tucker’s fastball. He uses a drop-and-drive delivery, so his heater comes in on a flat plane and without much movement. He still needs to refine his command.

The Future: Just as they did in the second half last year, Tucker and Mike Nicolas will form a nasty lefty-righty, late-inning combination in 2003, this time in Double-A. Tucker got most of the saves at high Class A Lake Elsinore but may have to share more this year.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
From a 2003 San Diego Padres Top 10 Prospects chat transcript:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/chat/...padreschat.html

I guess he has a mid-90's fastball, or at least he did before his Tommy John surgery.  No surprise once again -- good stuff, horrible control.  Seems like a trend with all the lefties KW has acquired.

You can look at his stats and see high K numbers last year, which tells me the stuff is there. He's yet to find the command though.