2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
Man, I think you just have to wonder what sort of numbers Maddux would have put up this season if he hadn't spent 2/3 of the year on a minor league team.

Maddux was vintage Maddux tonight. Only 68 pitches in 8 innings, retiring 22 straight after the first inning. It was a pleasure to watch.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Maddux was vintage Maddux tonight. Only 68 pitches in 8 innings, retiring 22 straight after the first inning. It was a pleasure to watch.

Wow those are extremely impressive numbers. I'm kind of bummed I missed the game now.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
Wow those are extremely impressive numbers. I'm kind of bummed I missed the game now.

Schmidt matched him. Retired the last 22 hitters he faced, IIRC. This has been a DYNAMITE game to watch if you like pitching.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
The Dodgers are easily the second best team in the NL. I'd actually pick them if they ended up playing the Mets.

If it comes down to that series, I don't see how you can possibly pick against the Dodgers, for 1 simple reason: Starting Pitching. The Dodgers not only have better starter numbers than the Mets, on paper I think they're another step beyond them, mainly because I have very little confidence in the ability of the Mets' starting pitching to go into the playoffs and pitch as though they're a bunch of healthy, 27 year old men. The Mets' Bullpen has carried their numbers a little bit, but I'd be ungodly nervous about taking Pedro, Glavine, El Duque, and a few other pieces into the playoffs as key parts of my rotation.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 13, 2006 -> 11:22 PM)
I'm to the point where I'm starting to love watching the Dodgers.

Definitely. Watching their rising young stars like Betemit, Martin, and Ethier.....vets like Lugo, Nomar, and Drew. The way Lofton and Furcal work at the top of the order is great, their pitching staff mixes vets like Maddux, Penny, Lowe, Sele, Hendrickson, and Tomko out of the pen along with Broxton, Billingsley, and Beimel. The new Shingo in their 36 year old rooke closer Saito. This team is the one that will give the Mets hell in October, that would be a real good NLCS.

Here's a frightening stat line.

SPLIT AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

August 49 3 7 3 0 0 0 0 0 5 0 0 .143 .143 .204 .347

.143 BA with a .143 OBP? Man, that's rough. Anyone care to guess who I'm pointing at? (The answer is Ichiro)

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
I just read on a Mets' board that Pedro is headed to the DL and could be out for quite a while. That's a big, big blow for the Mets. Their pitching is suspect as it is. Anything less than Pedro at or damn near close to 100% come playoff time, and the Mets are in trouble.

Who's getting called up, Pelfrey? Cole Hamels with another great start tonight, he could be very key in the wild card race. The guy absolutely racks up the K's, 96 in 84 IP this year.

Padilla was at it again tonight for the Rangers. Throw at Vlad's chin, Vlad hit a 3 run donger to break a 3-3 tie and later in the inning Padilla plunked an Angels hitter and was ejected along with Showalter.

Edited by whitesoxin'

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 11:17 PM)
Padilla was at it again tonight for the Rangers. Throw at Vlad's chin, Vlad hit a 3 run donger to break a 3-3 tie and later in the inning Padilla plunked an Angels hitter and was ejected along with Showalter.

I wanna say Vlad got thrown at 3 times. I don't know why the Angels didnt retaliate. Cubs and Astros deadlocked at 6 in the bottom of the 16th right now.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 16, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
I wanna say Vlad got thrown at 3 times. I don't know why the Angels didnt retaliate. Cubs and Astros deadlocked at 6 in the bottom of the 16th right now.

Sean Tracey must have been pitching for them tonight.

Top of 17 now, still 6-6. What is with the Astros and massively long games?