Hello Mr. Anderson

BigSqwert

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 28, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
I'm giving Brian Anderson 200 ABs before I replace him. By that time the market for CF will have revealed itself for what it is and we'll have a legitimate idea of who's out there and available for trade. .It's still too early right now to be looking at possible trades

Bingo. When you have two full divisions still technically alive you're not going to have that many options yet.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 28, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
I'd rather see Jerry Owens or Rob Mackowiak out there everyday in CF before Darin Erstad. That's right, Jerry Owens, the guy isn't even a CF and I'd take him over Erstad.

I'm giving Brian Anderson 200 ABs before I replace him. By that time the market for CF will have revealed itself for what it is and we'll have a legitimate idea of who's out there and available for trade. .It's still too early right now to be looking at possible trades

I'm with you. All I ever said is that these were players to watch. There will be a time, however, when we have to make a move. And these are some of the name we'll be hearing. Let's hope KW can do the right thing, at the right time.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:07 AM)
Kalapse, my man, I've said it: if Anderson hits .210, he's my guy. And I'm willing to give him more time, too. But by the middle of July, if our friend from Tucson is hitting .165, he cannot -- and will not -- be this team's centerfielder.

That makes a lot of sense. I agree, if Brian Anderson, our 9 hitter, has 32 hits by the middle of July instead of a much more suitable 37 hits, we should go out of our way to obtain a player whos offensive worth would be such a small increase, if any, over Anderson's that the downgrade we recieve in defense actually puts us in a worse position.

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 28, 2006 -> 01:34 AM)
That makes a lot of sense. I agree, if Brian Anderson, our 9 hitter, has 32 hits by the middle of July instead of a much more suitable 37 hits, we should go out of our way to obtain a player whos offensive worth would be such a small increase, if any, over Anderson's that the downgrade we recieve in defense actually puts us in a worse position.

It's about the trend line. Forget July. Forget your 5 hits. Are you seriously telling me that you want a .170 hitter as your starting centerfielder in OCTOBER? Yeah, 'cuz of all those championship teams that had those .170 hitters as starting players, all those defensive whizzes like, uh, well, er . . . Well, I guess Bud Harrelson hit about .200 for the Mets in 1973. So, yeah, I guess you're right.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:42 AM)
It's about the trend line. Forget July. Forget your 5 hits. Are you seriously telling me that you want a .170 hitter as your starting centerfielder in OCTOBER? Yeah, 'cuz of all those championship teams that had those .170 hitters as starting players, all those defensive whizzes like, uh, well, er . . . Well, I guess Bud Harrelson hit about .200 for the Mets in 1973. So, yeah, I guess you're right.

I'm telling you that I don't want to declare a cutoff point for Anderson's average a month or two from now that determines if he's up or down. I want him to get a full season of consistent playing time under his belt to develop a proper offensive approach at the major league level. What your ultimatum would not account for is that Anderson may progress offensively in the later months in the season, because before this year he's proved he can quickly adjust to increased pitching talent at every level of his professional career.

This team is the least reliant offensively on Brian Anderson and everybody knew this coming into the season. I'm not thinking about our lineup for the postseason at this point in time and if Anderson's batting average will be good enough for us to win a World Series. I'd like at this time to concentrate on the best method of adjusting our centerfielder to major league pitching, and not give up on a rookie 100 or 200 at-bats into the year, because I think he is who we should focus on grooming for this role. Kenny probably feels the same way seeing as how he traded Reed, Rowand, and Young in a time span of a year and a half.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 28, 2006 -> 02:00 AM)
I'm telling you that I don't want to declare a cutoff point for Anderson's average a month or two from now that determines if he's up or down. I want him to get a full season of consistent playing time under his belt to develop a proper offensive approach at the major league level. What your ultimatum would not account for is that Anderson may progress offensively in the later months in the season, because before this year he's proved he can quickly adjust to increased pitching talent at every level of his professional career.

This team is the least reliant offensively on Brian Anderson and everybody knew this coming into the season. I'm not thinking about our lineup for the postseason at this point in time and if Anderson's batting average will be good enough for us to win a World Series. I'd like at this time to concentrate on the best method of adjusting our centerfielder to major league pitching, and not give up on a rookie 100 at-bats into the year, because I think he is who we should focus on grooming for this role. Kenny probably feels the same way seeing as how he traded Reed, Rowand, and Young in a time span of a year and a half.

Okay, that I understand. And I think he's going to be good. But the problem here is that they do kind of have to figure out what they have, and they should probably do it before the deadline -- not to replace him for next year and into the future, but to feel secure for the rest of this year. And there's the dilemma: July is arbitrary, I agree, but it's the trade deadline, and can they depend on Brian hitting better in August, September and October? I just don't know that. I hope he picks it up because he's a superb outfielder.

I just came in this thread to ask why the f*** is Ozzie talking about sending BA down when we still have Ross Gload on this team? He is the most useless player on any MLB roster. How often do we use him in a game, once every 3 weeks?

I like Brian Anderson. I think Brian Anderson has great defense. I dont understand why he is so out of sorts at the dish.

However for all of the, well x player plays great defense so they must play everyday no matter how bad their batting average is. We currently have 2 players well below the mendoza line. One is a rook, the other is a vet. I would like someone to explain how many contending teams over the years had one regular player below the mendoza line more or less two below. And the "well if we need x player to hit at the bottom of our lineup" then we are in trouble comments dont fly. At points in the season, you will need your bottom part of the lineup to work a bit. This is not the national league where you have a sub 200 hitter at the bottom of everyones lineup. I have seen some comparisons to Joe Crede on well everyone was all over Joe when he struggled. Joe wasnt hitting below 200 for a good part of the season. Think 2 Joe Borchards in the lineup at once. Having 2 autoouts at the bottom of the lineup doesnt kill you when you face a crap pitcher. Its when you face a good pitcher and you have them on the ropes and then Juan comes up after 2 guys draw walks and pops up on the first pitch thrown, and then Brian Ks leaving men on.

We need both Anderson and Uribe to get their head out of their asss. I am absolutely disgusted with Uribe as opposed to Anderson. Uribe is a vet who has hit before. And having Farmer constantly harp on how Uribe says he is going deep before the game, every game and then watching him corkscrew himself into the ground doesnt help any.

I would put Cintron in at SS, keep Anderson in CF with a platoon until they can make a move for someone in July if Anderson is still lost at the dish. Cintron doesnt give you the same D, but at least it gets 1 of the two autoouts out of the lineup.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 28, 2006 -> 07:47 AM)
I like Brian Anderson. I think Brian Anderson has great defense. I dont understand why he is so out of sorts at the dish.

However for all of the, well x player plays great defense so they must play everyday no matter how bad their batting average is. We currently have 2 players well below the mendoza line. One is a rook, the other is a vet. I would like someone to explain how many contending teams over the years had one regular player below the mendoza line more or less two below. And the "well if we need x player to hit at the bottom of our lineup" then we are in trouble comments dont fly. At points in the season, you will need your bottom part of the lineup to work a bit. This is not the national league where you have a sub 200 hitter at the bottom of everyones lineup. I have seen some comparisons to Joe Crede on well everyone was all over Joe when he struggled. Joe wasnt hitting below 200 for a good part of the season. Having 2 autoouts at the bottom of the lineup doesnt kill you when you face a crap pitcher. Its when you face a good pitcher and you have them on the ropes and then Juan comes up after 2 guys draw walks and pops up on the first pitch thrown, and then Brian Ks leaving men on.

We need both Anderson and Uribe to get their head out of their asss. I am absolutely disgusted with Uribe as opposed to Anderson. Uribe is a vet who has hit before. And having Farmer constantly harp on how Uribe says he is going deep before the game, every game and then watching him corkscrew himself into the ground doesnt help any.

I would put Cintron in at SS, keep Anderson in CF with a platoon until they can make a move for someone in July if Anderson is still lost at the dish. Cintron doesnt give you the same D, but at least it gets 1 of the two autoouts out of the lineup.

LOL, im sure Farmer loves that. He calls for homeruns from everyone

QUOTE(premo @ May 28, 2006 -> 03:37 AM)
I just came in this thread to ask why the f*** is Ozzie talking about sending BA down when we still have Ross Gload on this team? He is the most useless player on any MLB roster. How often do we use him in a game, once every 3 weeks?

Precisely why, gasp, we should have kept Borchard over him (Gload).

At least he can actually play the outfield and can swing, albeit not very well, from the right side.

He looked decent yesterday hitting a 3 run bomb off of Glavine righthanded.

Guest JimH

What they need is another Ozuna type guy, but a guy who's good in the OF. Speedy, pesky at the plate, hits righthanded and can play good defense.

Easier said than done though ... I can't think of anyone off the top of my head but then again no one knew much about Pablo before they brought him in.

IIRC it was Ozzie himself who said he didn't care what Anderson hit, that he needed to catch the ball. Anderson has done that. The timing of this story is strange. I'm starting to think this Anderson to AAA talk is mostly so the Sox won't be short when he has to serve his suspension, and the league is saying that appeals should be heard and considered by the middle of next week which would mean the Sox, if Anderson didn't drop his appeal, would be short handed against Detroit. If he dropped it they would be short handed against Cleveland.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ May 28, 2006 -> 08:48 AM)
Anderson needs to have some success -- somewhere.

A month at Charlotte might remind him that once upon a time he could actually hit the ball.

I'm all for dumping Gload, too.

There are a few guys at Charlotte who deserve a look.

I can't think of a single person currently in Charlotte who would have any value to this team right now. Maybe you could give me a name or two.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 28, 2006 -> 05:47 AM)
Well x player plays great defense so they must play everyday no matter how bad their batting average is. We currently have 2 players well below the mendoza line. One is a rook, the other is a vet. I would like someone to explain how many contending teams over the years had one regular player below the mendoza line more or less two below.

I can think of 1 team that had 2 guys under the Mendoza line in late May & was pretty good. The 2005 Chicago White Sox. Konerko & Dye hovered around .190 until late May last year...not sure the exact date that they got going, but they were down for a LONG time.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 28, 2006 -> 06:22 AM)
Precisely why, gasp, we should have kept Borchard over him (Gload).

At least he can actually play the outfield and can swing, albeit not very well, from the right side.

He looked decent yesterday hitting a 3 run bomb off of Glavine righthanded.

You're assuming the Mariners would have taken Gload. I've been fairly happy to see Thornton over this last month.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:00 AM)
I can think of 1 team that had 2 guys under the Mendoza line in late May & was pretty good. The 2005 Chicago White Sox. Konerko & Dye hovered around .190 until late May last year...not sure the exact date that they got going, but they were down for a LONG time.

We also were pretty much a lock to win if we had a 1 run lead. With this bullpen we cannot afford two auto-outs.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 27, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
Well Erstad is brutal from what I heard. Defensively, he's no more than mediocre after all those injury bugs in CF. Offensively, he's below average from what Angel fans are saying as well. I look at his numbers and they scream, "blah". I don't mind finding an outside answer, but Erstad and Finley definately ain't it.

Let's put it this way...if we were to make a genuine run at Shields, one of the things I'd do if I were the Angels GM would be to make sure that in addition to Shields, any team dealing with me would have to either take Erstadt or Garret Anderson and their contracts off of my hands (a-la Mike Lowell and Beckett going to Boston) just to save some of that money. The Angels would be delighted if someone actually offered them something of even Boone Logan's caliber at this point for Erstadt, IMO, given how much he's paid.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 28, 2006 -> 08:02 AM)
We also were pretty much a lock to win if we had a 1 run lead. With this bullpen we cannot afford two auto-outs.

We were also pretty much one of the worst 3 or 4 offenses in the AL last year. Right now we're #4 in the AL, and if we win by 3 runs today somehow we'll be #3. Let me say this as clearly as I can...OUR OFFENSE IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

Edited by Balta1701

One point that was mentioned prominently in the article but not as much in this thread is that Ozzie wants BA to have better at-bats, not necessarily that he has to start producing right now. I think the "send down to AAA" threat is to get his head out of his butt and start being a "grinder" at the plate. Ozzie said he'd stick by him if he played great defense, but giving away at-bats is never acceptable to a guy like Ozzie.

As for Uribe, last year he hit .225 in May and .238 in June, so while his current funk is bad, it's not all that unexpected. He'll heat up just as he's done every year.

QUOTE(Disco72 @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
One point that was mentioned prominently in the article but not as much in this thread is that Ozzie wants BA to have better at-bats, not necessarily that he has to start producing right now. I think the "send down to AAA" threat is to get his head out of his butt and start being a "grinder" at the plate. Ozzie said he'd stick by him if he played great defense, but giving away at-bats is never acceptable to a guy like Ozzie.

As for Uribe, last year he hit .225 in May and .238 in June, so while his current funk is bad, it's not all that unexpected. He'll heat up just as he's done every year.

Uribe hit .167 in April this year, that's over 50 points lower than he's ever hit in any given month of his career, he has shown no signs of snapping out of this funk, I don't remember the last time he had a quality AB.

For whatever reason, Anderson has been the scapgoat this season when the real problem out of the postion players has been Uribe. He's currently one of the worst players in baseball but for whatever reason you really don't hear his name brought up.

Hey, what do you ya know? Please, never mention Darin Erstad's name ever again in connection with the White Sox:

Latest News

May. 28, 2006 - 10:35 am et

Darin Erstad (ankle) had another cortisone shot in his ankle on Friday and is still a long ways from being activated from the disabled list.

Erstad's ankle flared up while he was running the bases on Wednesday. He won't do any baseball activities for at least the next week. He could need surgery to relieve the pain. "We'll see what happens when I move around again," Erstad said. "If this works, I could be ready to go soon. If it doesn't … I'm not ready to look at that side yet."

Source: Los Angeles Times

The guy could be out for the year, woohoo $8.5M for a guy with serious ankle problems!

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 28, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
Think Jermaine Dye: Pre-All Star Break

19 HR, 45 RBI, .270/.331/.528/.860 :huh:

Dye struggled last year but it was only for the first month of the season, he put up a .933 OPS in May and actually ended up having a better first half than second half.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 28, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
19 HR, 45 RBI, .270/.331/.528/.860 :huh:

Dye struggled last year but it was only for the first month of the season, he put up a .933 OPS in May and actually ended up having a better first half than second half.

Holy s***. I didn't realize that he had those kinds of numbers. Nevermind then.