And That's A White Sox Loss

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
See, I think of it more as him having trouble with runners on and it just so happens to be that the bloop hit seems to come later in the game and than he falters. Today he did a better job with runners. Obviously he wasn't perfect, but he really is looking better.

I realize I'm in the minority here though and I can't blame you guys for thinking the other way.

There was nobody on when he gave up the bomb to Morneau.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
Cotts is not exactly Mariano Rivera, either.

Why oh why can't Vazzy continue his excellence past five innings?

im far from an expert but if i had to guess....its the same reason alot of guys are just better relievers...javy has a nice fastball and a ncie change.....two good pitches, but his 3rd and 4th pitch, slider and curve, just arnet what they were (at least not like that time he dominated us when he was with NYY)..hitters adjust to his fastball that third time through and can just look for it....just watch cuddyer and tyner...they cheated in on the fastball in the middle innings and had great results

Vazquez has had this pattern all season. He does have 9 wins, although he's only one 1 game when the Sox have scored less than 8 runs, the 4-0 game against KC. He also has had the lead in every start except one I believe. This is not what KW had in mind when he shipped out Chris Young. This will probably go down as KW's worst deal.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:34 PM)
There was nobody on when he gave up the bomb to Morneau.

And I don't think it was that bad of a pitch. It wasn't a good pitch like Cuddyer's was, but nothing horrible. For example if he was rolling stuff all over the place (like he was in the Tigers game) I'd say something. I didn't see him doing that tonight.

Sometimes you get beat and thats what happened to Javy tonight, imo. Against the Tigers he beat himself.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
I think you got to be careful, but nowhere in that inning did I really see Javy making bad pitches (which is what he was doing with runners on in hte prior games). This time around he just got beat, all you can do is tip your cap.

But like I said a few times, i see where you all are coming from and you could very well be right.

I agree that both pitches to Cuddyer and Morneau were not BAD, but even so ,he still shouldnt have started the 7th

By the way, he is not a fishing idiot.

He's a good manager who led Chicago to its only title since gas was 10 cents a gallon.

In some things, he is a F'n idiot. His in-game decsion making didn't help Chicago win its title. He has been consistently bad in in-game decision making both this season and last season. He makes serious mistakes based on a poor knowledge of how to handle both SP's and the bullpen.

I guess I'm just a typical Sox fan. I watched every pitch of the playoffs and World Series last year and I can't seem to get my mind around how bad our team is right now. We have a stronger lineup and with the addition of Javier Vasques, we were "supposed" to have a stronger staff. WHAT HAPPENED?! Oh well, I still have the Bears.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
In some things, he is a F'n idiot. His in-game decsion making didn't help Chicago win its title. He has been consistently bad in in-game decision making both this season and last season. He makes serious mistakes based on a poor knowledge of how to handle both SP's and the bullpen.

Well between his in game handling of pitching, and Joey Coras waving arms our duo is really fishing up something here that is good.

This team so far looks lost. How the fish do you lose 7 games on the wild card in a 2 week period without laying down or money changing hands. We didnt have an injury, we didnt have a person quit.

Every fishing year our offense goes into the spiffter post allstar break for like a month or so. They get oober pull conscious and all you see is corpseball. Which this is what that is, corpseball.

And usually the twins come in and fish us up letting our pull monkeys pull the pitch over and over and make quick work.

In a few minutes, I'm going to move this into the White Sox loss thread (since thats where discussion of tonight's game belongs).

Ya I think we all feel bad and now would be as good of time as any to take some deep breaths and relax a bit. I know last year when we were sucking, right after the team clinched I took the next few days off from watching the Sox and it was really nice.

I think I may try doing the same the next couple days or at least watch things from just a passive position where I don't whine and complain (it will be hard to do though).

QUOTE(Frozen_Rope @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:40 AM)
I guess I'm just a typical Sox fan. I watched every pitch of the playoffs and World Series last year and I can't seem to get my mind around how bad our team is right now. We have a stronger lineup and with the addition of Javier Vasques, we were "supposed" to have a stronger staff. WHAT HAPPENED?! Oh well, I still have the Bears.

We had a lot of pitchers have career years, and our bullpen was absolutely sensational. Also, we had a lot of luck last season. That's not to say we were lucky to win it all, but we're seeing this year how the Tigers seem to be catching all the breaks.

QUOTE(Frozen_Rope @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)

McCarthy was a gift from god down the stretch last season, winning some crucial games. Hopefully he will be given the chance to do it again this year.

I see a team that's pressing. On offense, they're not executing because they're setting themselves up for failure. Honestly, the extra bunting and that spiff is a joke. It's not like they're playing bad fundamental baseball because they don't know what they're doing. They're a strong, professional team. They're just not catching the breaks. IMO, they need to relax and have some fun and get this funk out of their system.

The only 2 guys that look to me like they're aren't pressing are Anderson and Uribe. It's no coincidence that they're both playing very well.

Every team goes through these stretches. Since they're not scoring, every bunting/get em over situation is magnified. Every borderline bad pitch is getting crushed. They'll snap out of it. I just hope it's not too late.

On the bright side, there have been bright spots within the pitching. They've only put one solid game together during this stretch, but it's a start.

One real positive that I saw from Vazquez is that he got beat on this fastball. I'd much rather see a guy get beat when he's trying to challenge the hitter and attack the zone. It's much better than throwing breaking ball after breaking ball because he's scared of the bat.

Edited by TaylorStSox

Cmon that is just not true.

My god, we didn't win the title just by taking the field.

He did good work outside of game time which I'm sure was responsible for a lot of the improved performances of players. But his in-game decision making consistently has hurt this team. It hurt a little last year and it is hurting us a lot this year.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
I see a team that's pressing. On offense, they're not executing because they're setting themselves up for failure. Honestly, the extra bunting and that spiff is a joke. They're not playing fundamental baseball because they don't know how. They're a strong, professional team. They're just not catching the breaks. IMO, they need to relax and have some fun and get this funk out of their system.

The only 2 guys that look to me like they're aren't pressing are Anderson and Uribe. It's no coincidence that they're both playing very well.

Every team goes through these stretches. Since they're not scoring, every bunting/get em over situation is magnified. Every borderline bad pitch is getting crushed. They'll snap out of it. I just hope it's not too late.

On the bright side, there have been bright spots within the pitching. They've only put one solid game together during this stretch, but it's a start.

One real positive that I saw from Vazquez is that he got beat on this fastball. I'd much rather see a guy get beat when he's trying to challenge the hitter and attack the zone. It's much better than throwing breaking ball after breaking ball because he's scared of the bat.

Good post...in general they are really letting this funk get to them, just like they did last year. Last year I said as soon as they clinched they'd be golden, this year they won't have that opportunity so they will have to make or create some other sort of break that gets the pressure off there backs and lets them get back to having fun. I don't know what that will be, but I'm hoping it starts with a win over Santana and continues with a win by Buehrle and a series win over the Twins.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
Good post...in general they are really letting this funk get to them, just like they did last year. Last year I said as soon as they clinched they'd be golden, this year they won't have that opportunity so they will have to make or create some other sort of break that gets the pressure off there backs and lets them get back to having fun. I don't know what that will be, but I'm hoping it starts with a win over Santana and continues with a win by Buehrle and a series win over the Twins.

The problem with our O that happens every year is this is about the time that hitters get a bit tired. And for a power hititng slug team like ours that pulls most of its pitches our swings get long. then you are fouling off the fastball down the middle because you have a dip in your swing, and are trying to do to much with it. Then you get to 2 strikes and you roll it over to the SS or pop it up. This has been designated for years as corpseball. This is what we are going through.

What we need our hitters to do, is to shorten their swing up, and try and go away with the pitch away instead of pulling everything. The minute they start dong this the pitchers will need to go back in, and we will start hitting more screaming line drives.

Until we adjust we wont hit anyone.

Santana will K over 10 tomorrow night.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
McCarthy was a gift from god down the stretch last season, winning some crucial games. Hopefully he will be given the chance to do it again this year.

totally agree. we need a shot in the arm. mccarthy is totally capable of performing better than these other guys posing as the staff in the league

The pink fuzzy bunny must of just started following the whitesox this year when he got the postgame gig. He cant believe the O can go into a long funk. Well welcome to being a whitesox fan past the allstar break. We hit solo homers, strikeout a lot, pop up like masters, and roll over GIDP with RISP.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
Putting BMac in the rotation may be similar to the Liriano Effect. The sooner he's starting, the smarter we'll look.

He had a 1.59 ERA down the stretch last year.

My prediction is unless someone is traded, he wont make the rotation until say late August when Ozzies hand is finally pushed. For whatever reason, Ozzie doesnt want to part with either of his 2 crappy pitchers. They will start, go deep into games and get rocked.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
Putting BMac in the rotation may be similar to the Liriano Effect. The sooner he's starting, the smarter we'll look.

Look what Weaver has done for the Angels, too. The only problem is it's too late in the season to just throw him into the rotation. It would take a good month I hear for him to get stretched out enough to start.

Unfortunately, I don't think Brandon owns any property near Ozzie, a la Raul Casanova.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)
Look what Weaver has done for the Angels, too. The only problem is it's too late in the season to just throw him into the rotation. It would take a good month I hear for him to get stretched out enough to start.

He went 4.0/82 pitches in his spot start. I'd think it'd only take 3-4 starts.