Frank Thomas v. Jim Thome

Steve9347

OK, Thomas has been coming hard (ew) lately, and the numbers are actually getting close... unbelievable.

So, who's going to finish with the better numbers regarding homers and RBI?

average is thrown in just for comparision purposes

4527.jpg

Frank Thomas

.281, 35, 97

20 games remaining

4762.jpg

Jim Thome

.293, 39, 97

19 games remaining

Regardless, :cheers to the Big Hurt and to Jim Thome for excellent comeback seasons.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Thomas ends up with more homers and RBIs...Thome has just cooled off immensely. Hell, I would not be surprised if Thomas hit a career high in homers this year...he has been on fire lately.

However, Thomas does not hit left-handed, so that ends the discussion as to who would you rather have in the lineup.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
I think Frank will surpass Jim...Jim has not been good this second half...and not clutch.

For one month, I thought the SOX indeed got the better end of this deal. Deep down, I understand the move, KW wanted/needed to upgrade the offense from last year. Just plain bad luck that Big Frank's injury was mis-diagnosed leading him to reinjure himself last season.

Anyone remember just how Amazing Frank Thomas was in just one month back in 05 with the SOX?

He was swinging that bat like the Frank Thomas of the 90's. I'll be making that drive up to Cooperstown one day soon. Heres to Big Frank, future Hall-of-Famer

QUOTE(BainesHOF @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
Frank can hit lefties so I'll take Frank.

Remember the days of 01-04 when the Sox couldnt hit a right-handed pitcher with a good slider?

I'll take Thome, thank you very much.

FWIW, Thomas is putting up a huge .240 average against LHP this season. The pitch recognition is still there, as he has 27 walks in 113 PA's against LHP(meaning he walks against LHP once every 4 times he steps up to the plate), but he isn't hitting lefties for s***.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
Anyone remember just how Amazing Frank Thomas was in just one month back in 05 with the SOX?

You mean when he hit .226? His OPS was over 1.000, but he was homer, walk, or K. Pretty much nothing else happened.

I love Thome and I won't blast him in any way.

But the way the stats are now, I'd have rather had Hurt this season.

Only because he is the best player in Sox history.

That said, Thome has had a great great season and I would never

criticize him. Not with his numbers.

I think it's sad Big Hurt could conceivably have 3-4 good to great years with

another team. I thought our doctors thought Hurt was finished.

He was not finished.

I would rather not have gone into the season with a 38 year old DH who had been slowed to a crawl for the past few seasons due to his foot which is not a good injury for a 280 pound man. Also, if you want to keep Frank then you're going to have to fire Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen, there ain't a chance in hell those 3 could have coexisted this season.

Hey Hangar! Month by month comparison of Thomas and Thome since you think Thome was only good for one month

.300/.457/.713 vs. .190/.264/.405 HUGE edge to Thome (.501 diff in OPS)

.290/.410/.620 vs. .268/.436/.535 Edge to Thome (.059 diff in OPS)

.264/.371/.514 vs. .270/.357/.703 Edge to Frank (.175 Diff in OPS)

.299/.384/.621 vs. .276/.413/.540 Edge to Thome (Higher BA to go along with a much higher SLG%)

.329/.453/.586 vs. .333/.443/.516 Edge to Thome (.080 diff in OPS)

.258/.410/.581 vs. .395/.439/.947 HUGE edge to Frank (.395 OPS, Ofcourse we're only one week into september whereas Thome greatly outproduced Frank for an entire MONTH)

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
Hey Hangar! Month by month comparison of Thomas and Thome since you think Thome was only good for one month

.300/.457/.713 vs. .190/.264/.405 HUGE edge to Thome (.501 diff in OPS)

.290/.410/.620 vs. .268/.436/.535 Edge to Thome (.059 diff in OPS)

.264/.371/.514 vs. .270/.357/.703 Edge to Frank (.175 Diff in OPS)

.299/.384/.621 vs. .276/.413/.540 Edge to Thome (Higher BA to go along with a much higher SLG%)

.329/.453/.586 vs. .333/.443/.516 Edge to Thome (.080 diff in OPS)

.258/.410/.581 vs. .395/.439/.947 HUGE edge to Frank (.395 OPS, Ofcourse we're only one week into september whereas Thome greatly outproduced Frank for an entire MONTH)

Thome has given this team nothing in the second half. Spin it any way you like, santo=dorf, but Sloth hasn't been a run producer lately.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
Thome has given this team nothing in the second half. Spin it any way you like, santo=dorf, but Sloth hasn't been a run producer lately.

Think his run production numbers have anything to do with our leadoff hitter having a .287 obp in the 2nd half?

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
Think his run production numbers have anything to do with our leadoff hitter having a .287 obp in the 2nd half?

It would probably help if he had a reason to swing, rather than a reason to take a walk.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are the one spinning things by putting everything in RBI's

Here are some August OBP% for you:

Pods: .284

Iguchi: .310

Thome: .453

Konerko: .383

Dye: .390

Crede: .351

AJ: .265 (!)

Uribe: .261

Anderson: .367/Mack .310

!!!!!!!!!!!!

In big letters for you since you obviously won't set your bias aside:

HOW THE f*** IS THOME SUPPOSE TO GET AN RBI IF NOBODY IS ON BASE????

The only answer is to try and hit nothing but solo home runs, something Hangar has tried to put on him

How many Sox games have you been watching lately?

QUOTE(G&T @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would probably help if he had a reason to swing, rather than a reason to take a walk.

You mean Thome shouldn't try and hit that 3-0 curve ball way outside to drive the runner in?

Why oh why must Thome scare opposing pitchers into throwing him unhittable pitches?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
You are the one spinning things by putting everything in RBI's

Here are some August OBP% for you:

Pods: .284

Iguchi: .310

Thome: .453

Konerko: .383

Dye: .390

Crede: .351

AJ: .265 (!)

Uribe: .261

Anderson: .367/Mack .310

!!!!!!!!!!!!

In big letters for you since you obviously won't set your bias aside:

HOW THE f*** IS THOME SUPPOSE TO GET AN RBI IF NOBODY IS ON BASE????

The only answer is to try and hit nothing but solo home runs, something Hangar has tried to put on him

How many Sox games have you been watching lately?

You mean Thome shouldn't try and hit that 3-0 curve ball way outside to drive the runner in?

Why oh why must Thome scare opposing pitchers into throwing him unhittable pitches?

Well, as I've said, one is leading his team to the playoffs and the other is leading his team to a third place finish.