Official 2006-2007 NBA Discussion Thread

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 22, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)
Would Memphis still be interested in the Bulls' first round pick? I still have my eye on Gasol, unless there's a chance that Hibbert falls to the Bulls. Ninth overall + Gordon + Nocioni probably wouldn't get it done, would it?

Gasol might want to get the hell out since he knows hes not gonna play with Oden or Durant.

As for how much it will take to get Gasol I think your dead on, although I would stick with BG because I like him and other than Deng who would the scoring threat be, well Gasol if we got him.

Hibbert should fall to the Bulls if not him then Hawes.

Sidenote: Utah kiss the NBA Finals goodbye.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 23, 2007 -> 04:05 AM)
Who is our scorer from the outside w/out Gordon? The lane would be totally clogged up because than the only person who could hit a 3 on this team would be Hinrich. And Hinrich isnt even all that great at it...

Well, the idea of getting a big man and running your offense through a big man is that it opens up shots for people. I don't like having an offense that primarily relies on the three ball. Ben Gordon would be missed, but you gain a lot on the defensive end just because Gordon is off the floor.

Skiles can still run a motion type offense, you just have to run different types of cuts when the big man gets the ball on the block. I think this could help Deng a lot, too.

Finally, It's easier to find a guy who will bury some threes than it is to find a guy who can play as well as Gasol can with his back to the basket.

Onto the draft -- if the Bulls keep the pick, ideally I'd love to have one of Hibbert or Horford. If not, I think Brewer would fit very well on the Bulls.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 22, 2007 -> 07:54 PM)
Atlanta should feel extremely lucky. Because their pick finished in the top 3, they get to keep it. Phoenix would be steaming right now.

And really for the Hawks, it's a perfect oppurtunity to get the Oden / Conley jr. combo. They have the 11th pick as well. They can trade up from #3 to #1 to get Oden, and then pick Conley at #11. They do that, they've got quite a good young developing lineup in Oden, Josh Smith, Williams (the #2 pick from a few years back, think that's his name), Joe Johnson and Conley, with Speedy Claxton, Josh Childress, Zaza Pachulia and Shelden Williams.

Of course that's if Portland decided they wanted to trade down. For say a 2009 1st rounder, I'd say they'd probably do it, and settle with Yi Jianlian, Brandon Wright or Al Horford.

Boston will probably trade their pick for a veteran. What Memphis are going to do I don't know. Maybe trade Gasol, and get even more picks, and keep developing that youth of theirs.

Whoa....Portland would be nuts to move down just for an additional first rounder. Maybe if they got a couple young athletes in return plus the first rounder but god it would be horrificly dumb to give up Oden for an extra first round pick the following year (not when Oden is the best center to come up in years).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 22, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
Would Memphis still be interested in the Bulls' first round pick? I still have my eye on Gasol, unless there's a chance that Hibbert falls to the Bulls. Ninth overall + Gordon + Nocioni probably wouldn't get it done, would it?

If that got the deal done I'd be all for it, as long as the Bulls could attract someone with the mid-level to bring in as there starting 2 guard.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 22, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
Well, the idea of getting a big man and running your offense through a big man is that it opens up shots for people. I don't like having an offense that primarily relies on the three ball. Ben Gordon would be missed, but you gain a lot on the defensive end just because Gordon is off the floor.

Skiles can still run a motion type offense, you just have to run different types of cuts when the big man gets the ball on the block. I think this could help Deng a lot, too.

Finally, It's easier to find a guy who will bury some threes than it is to find a guy who can play as well as Gasol can with his back to the basket.

Onto the draft -- if the Bulls keep the pick, ideally I'd love to have one of Hibbert or Horford. If not, I think Brewer would fit very well on the Bulls.

Screw any wing players in the draft, unless of course the Bulls deal Gordon or Nocioni for a big that they like (and than we draft a wing player).

I would absolutely be stoked if Horford fell all the way to 9 (but I'd be stunned if it happened). I think its more likely that Spencer Hawes falls (and he may be a bit over-rated for a freshman, but still a solid player).

I'd love either Wright from UNC, Horford or Hibbert. Although I must say I would settle with Noah (even though I think he is almost a Ben Wallace clone (Because in the long term, 1-2 years I expect Wallace to get dealt again and at that point in a worse case scenario, Noah could fit in). The only reason I even mention Noah though is because I wouldn't pass on his potential/upside/athletism if those other guys were off the board.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2007 -> 05:09 AM)
I'd love either Wright from UNC, Horford or Hibbert. Although I must say I would settle with Noah (even though I think he is almost a Ben Wallace clone (Because in the long term, 1-2 years I expect Wallace to get dealt again and at that point in a worse case scenario, Noah could fit in). The only reason I even mention Noah though is because I wouldn't pass on his potential/upside/athletism if those other guys were off the board.

I'd stay far, far away from Noah. He has a very weak post-game, and the Bulls need an impact type player with this pick. I could see him becoming a player similar to Mikey Moore of the Nets this year, but IMO you should be looking for better than that with the ninth overall pick.

If you can trade up a couple of spots and grab whichever big man falls (Wright, Hibbert, Horford, Jianlian), that'd work too, but I don't know what you'd have to give up to move up three-four spots.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 22, 2007 -> 10:06 PM)
Karma was a real b**** to Memphis and Boston. Don't throw games, kids.

Jack

Roy

Randolph

Aldridge

Oden

*hides*

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 22, 2007 -> 10:23 PM)
I dont know how they can keep Randolph now, he has to be on the trade market. They probably are going to want a guy who can play the SF position for him.

There isn't a chance that the Jail Blazers let Zach Randolph stick around to poison their franchise player. They are going to trade him for the first thing that comes along, just to get rid of his influence.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2007 -> 07:04 AM)
There isn't a chance that the Jail Blazers let Zach Randolph stick around to poison their franchise player. They are going to trade him for the first thing that comes along, just to get rid of his influence.
between the blazers and sonics, there will be some exciting basketball in the northwest. The west just got so much stronger.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
Whoa....Portland would be nuts to move down just for an additional first rounder. Maybe if they got a couple young athletes in return plus the first rounder but god it would be horrificly dumb to give up Oden for an extra first round pick the following year (not when Oden is the best center to come up in years).

Well they can't get the 1st round pick in next year's draft because that's going to Phoenix.

But say for example, they offer the 2009 1st rounder, the #3 pick and Josh Childress. Portland could draft Yi Jianlian, and he could be the next Dirk. Or it could be another Chris Webber - Penny Hardaway scenario where Portland would get multiple 1st round selections.

Personally I think Oden's a bit overrated just because he's one of the better bigs to come along lately, because it's so hard to find a capable big man. Hell Andrew Bogut went #1, and Deron Williams and Chris Paul look like much better selection right now. Oden will be very good on the boards and defensively, but is he going to score enough to be a "superstar"?

I also heard a rumor that Portland would acquire the #6 pick from the Brewers and give up Jarrett Jack and Zach Randolph, to select Mike Conley. Of course this would depend upon Atlanta not picking Conley at #3.

Also there are rumors of Orlando making Rashard Lewis their #1 target, NOT Vince Carter. Best case scenario, we re-sign Darko, and use Hedo Turkolgu in a sign and trade deal to clear up cap space to trade for Lewis, and also re-sign Dwight to that 5 years $80M deal.

The Chicago papers have been mooting Nocioni for Darko, but there's no way I can see that happening from our end.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 23, 2007 -> 08:25 AM)
Personally I think Oden's a bit overrated just because he's one of the better bigs to come along lately, because it's so hard to find a capable big man. Hell Andrew Bogut went #1, and Deron Williams and Chris Paul look like much better selection right now. Oden will be very good on the boards and defensively, but is he going to score enough to be a "superstar"?

Dude, dont even use Bogut's name in the same sentence as Oden. His jump hook will be a shot that few if any NBA players can stop. Hes a cant miss in every sense of the word.

I really hope the Bulls draft Hibbert or Horford, both would contribute right away.

UGH, or not. f*** you Hibbert

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2879914

QUOTE(Top Notch @ May 22, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
The Sonics won't even be in Seattle after next season. Portland has been an attendance cellar dweller ever since they became the Jailblazers and Atlanta is just an awful market at this point.

I feel for the Griz and the Celtics.

I'm no longer as convinced as i was just yesterday at this time. A player the caliber of Durant/Oden is capable of saving a franchise

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 23, 2007 -> 08:25 AM)
But say for example, they offer the 2009 1st rounder, the #3 pick and Josh Childress. Portland could draft Yi Jianlian, and he could be the next Dirk. Or it could be another Chris Webber - Penny Hardaway scenario where Portland would get multiple 1st round selections.

Disagree completely on both points.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 23, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
Hibbert is going back to college, this is great news I didnt want him near the Bulls. The guy is a stiff, he would be a total non-contributer in the NBA that punishes slow players like him.

I wouldn't call him a stiff. He's not athletic, that you're correct on, however he's obviously got the size and he does have very good moves on the inside plus a very nice hook shot.

Still, I like Hawes, I'd be very happy if the Bulls land him.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 23, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)
I wouldn't call him a stiff. He's not athletic, that you're correct on, however he's obviously got the size and he does have very good moves on the inside plus a very nice hook shot.

Still, I like Hawes, I'd be very happy if the Bulls land him.

Hibbert gave Oden, the best player in the draft, a really really tough time. The guy is going to be good.

Looks like Brian Hill finally got canned.

Billy Donovan to leave Florida to coach the Magic? If not, I think Otis Smith would want Sam Vincent, but he's likely to go to Charlotte. Stan Van Gundy could have been another possibility but he's likely to end up at Indiana.

Unless we get Donovan, I think we waited too long to make a coaching change and it's going to cost us.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 23, 2007 -> 05:09 AM)
Screw any wing players in the draft, unless of course the Bulls deal Gordon or Nocioni for a big that they like (and than we draft a wing player).

Brewer was probably the best player for Florida during the tourney. The kid's lengthy as hell -- isn't he 6"9? -- and one of the best real athletes in the draft. The thing is though, he's an athlete who can flat out play. He's tough matchup for anyone who goes up against him because of his length, he can take it to the rim and finish, he can pull-up and he can hit the three.

If either of Horford or Brewer happen to fall to nine, I'd hate to see the Bulls pass.

On the other hand, if they take Joakim Noah, I'll just about pull my hair out. Dude's got no post game and absolutely got MANHANDLED by Oden. His ceiling is very limited.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 24, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
If either of Horford or Brewer happen to fall to nine, I'd hate to see the Bulls pass.

Horford's probably the top non-Oden/Durant guy I only pray would drop to the Bulls.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 24, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
Brewer was probably the best player for Florida during the tourney. The kid's lengthy as hell -- isn't he 6"9? -- and one of the best real athletes in the draft. The thing is though, he's an athlete who can flat out play. He's tough matchup for anyone who goes up against him because of his length, he can take it to the rim and finish, he can pull-up and he can hit the three.

On the other hand, if they take Joakim Noah, I'll just about pull my hair out. Dude's got no post game and absolutely got MANHANDLED by Oden. His ceiling is very limited.

I'm a huge Brewer fan as well, but he just isn't a need for the Bulls. There is honestly too many good inside post players in this draft to take a wing, imo.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 24, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)
Horford's probably the top non-Oden/Durant guy I only pray would drop to the Bulls.

Obviously this is all opinion but I'd say Jeff Green is the 3rd guy in this draft.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 24, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
Obviously this is all opinion but I'd say Jeff Green is the 3rd guy in this draft.

It's really wide open among a handful of guys too because I would say B. Wright.