Official 2006-2007 NBA Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 24, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
I'm a huge Brewer fan as well, but he just isn't a need for the Bulls. There is honestly too many good inside post players in this draft to take a wing, imo.

With Hibbert gone, is Hawes going to fall to the Bulls? And is he your man?

Honestly, I agree with you on the need of the big man. I think I'd rather see the Bulls not make a pick at all and see if they can get Gasol away from Memphis.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 24, 2007 -> 03:21 PM)
With Hibbert gone, is Hawes going to fall to the Bulls? And is he your man?

Honestly, I agree with you on the need of the big man. I think I'd rather see the Bulls not make a pick at all and see if they can get Gasol away from Memphis.

Unfortunately, that's going to be unbelievably difficult with the contracts. IMO, it takes either Hinrich or Wallace to pull it off. There are ways around that (Sign and Trade with Noc/PJ, Duhon, Khryapa, etc), but nothing that would really interest the Grizz. The Grizz still get to team Gasol with Horford or Yi or whoever they wind up picking, and that's a pretty good place to start from.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 24, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
Unfortunately, that's going to be unbelievably difficult with the contracts. IMO, it takes either Hinrich or Wallace to pull it off. There are ways around that (Sign and Trade with Noc/PJ, Duhon, Khryapa, etc), but nothing that would really interest the Grizz. The Grizz still get to team Gasol with Horford or Yi or whoever they wind up picking, and that's a pretty good place to start from.

The grizzlies need a wing player more than they need a Horford/Yi. Hakim Warrick is their PF and Gay is their SF who I guess can play SG if need be too. Personally I think they would benefit from drafting Corey Brewer and having Mike Miller come off the bench. They need a PG too but I like Brewer more than I do Conley jr.

If I were a Cavs fan I would be absolutely livid. LeBron got absolutely RAPED on that drive with ten seconds left and no call. He got hit before his spin move and as he was going up, yet nothing.

There also could have been a whistle on 'Sheed's baseline fadeaway, but I can understand the reluctancy to blow the whistles on that play, and that mop-top (Verezjow?) certainly does his share of flopping.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 24, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
Brewer was probably the best player for Florida during the tourney. The kid's lengthy as hell -- isn't he 6"9? -- and one of the best real athletes in the draft. The thing is though, he's an athlete who can flat out play. He's tough matchup for anyone who goes up against him because of his length, he can take it to the rim and finish, he can pull-up and he can hit the three.

If either of Horford or Brewer happen to fall to nine, I'd hate to see the Bulls pass.

Totally agree on Brewer. I would LOVE to see the Bulls take him, need or not. He's a better Sef. We already have Deng and Noc and Sef is the big 2. Maybe if the Bulls think Brewer is gonna be top 5 they could trade the 9 and Sef for Brewer and a 2nd rounder or something.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 24, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
If I were a Cavs fan I would be absolutely livid. LeBron got absolutely RAPED on that drive with ten seconds left and no call. He got hit before his spin move and as he was going up, yet nothing.

Ehh, I didn't think it was a foul. If I was a Cavs fan I'd be more pissed at Larry Hughes for missing a 7 footer. Talk about a goat. He was WIDE open.

QUOTE(Brian @ May 25, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
NBADraft.net has the Bulls taking Noah...more like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-ah.

Him and Big Ben could be the most offensively inept front court in basketball.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 25, 2007 -> 12:22 PM)
Him and Big Ben could be the most offensively inept front court in basketball.

But their hair would be fantas........nevermind

QUOTE(Brian @ May 25, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
NBADraft.net has the Bulls taking Noah...more like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-ah.

The predictions change during a week to week process. They had us taking Hibbert for a while and I remember us taking Brewer, Green, Yi, Hawes, J. Wright at some point. Usually by the next couple weeks they'll have there final picks depending on kids going back to school and such. Usually they get there first 5 picks right on then the next are pretty much up in the air.

People don't like Noah because he's a tough, gritty, talkative young kid whose had success two years running now.

Personality aside, he'd be an excellent addition to the Bulls. He rebounds, he plays hard, and he does all the little things. When the Bulls started to slip in game three, nobody stepped up and hit a big shot, nobody stepped up and took the team on their back, nobody gave the team a lashing that was much needed.

I'm not saying the Bulls beat Detroit with Noah on the team, but I will say that they probably don't lose game three at home which was when the series ended, if Noah is on that team.

I like him in a Bulls uni.

QUOTE(Top Notch @ May 27, 2007 -> 11:54 PM)
People don't like Noah because he's a tough, gritty, talkative young kid whose had success two years running now.

No, people don't like Noah because his ceiling is extremely limited and when you're picking ninth in such a (proclaimed) deep draft, you want a better/higher ceiling player. He has very little post game to speak of and absolutely no jump shot. This comparison might not be 100% apt, but Noah seems like a much less athletic version of Tyrus Thomas.

It also doesn't help the Noah got absolutely MANHANDLED by Oden on college basketball's biggest stage. And Noah isn't strong enough to guard true centers, so he's relegated to a four -- oh, right, we have Tyrus Thomas there.

He seems decent on the defensive end and yes, he can rebound, but we need somebody who can put the ball in the hoop from the block.

When the Bulls started to slip in game three, nobody stepped up and hit a big shot, nobody stepped up and took the team on their back, nobody gave the team a lashing that was much needed.

How does Noah help in any of these? I particularly like the, "nobody stepped up and hit a big shot" line. Noah's not going to do that.

QUOTE(Top Notch @ May 27, 2007 -> 06:54 PM)

Personality aside, he'd be an excellent addition to the Bulls. He rebounds, he plays hard, and he does all the little things. When the Bulls started to slip in game three, nobody stepped up and hit a big shot, nobody stepped up and took the team on their back, nobody gave the team a lashing that was much needed.

I'm not saying the Bulls beat Detroit with Noah on the team, but I will say that they probably don't lose game three at home which was when the series ended, if Noah is on that team.

I like him in a Bulls uni.

AHAHHHAHAHA. Did you really just infer that Noah would have stepped up and hit a big shot? The kid can barely shoot from outside 2 feet from the hoop.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 28, 2007 -> 07:38 PM)
AHAHHHAHAHA. Did you really just infer that Noah would have stepped up and hit a big shot? The kid can barely shoot from outside 2 feet from the hoop.

That wasn't what I inferred. He's a horrible shooter. If Skiles gave him the opportunity to shoot at any point in the game, no less a big spot, he could, would and should be fired immediately.

There were many reasons for the Bulls downward spiral in game three, but one of them was a lack of energy and a lack of emotion/leadership in that third and fourth quarter.

If you don't mind me asking, if Noah isn't the man the Bulls take with the ninth pick, who do they go after?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 27, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)
No, people don't like Noah because his ceiling is extremely limited and when you're picking ninth in such a (proclaimed) deep draft, you want a better/higher ceiling player. He has very little post game to speak of and absolutely no jump shot. This comparison might not be 100% apt, but Noah seems like a much less athletic version of Tyrus Thomas.

You're probably right, perhaps I was buying too much into both nbadraft.net and draftexpress.com's analysis of who the Bulls will take. Who do you like at the ninth spot?

QUOTE(shipps @ May 28, 2007 -> 07:32 PM)
Per Yahoo sports Bulls GM Paxon inquires about Seattle's Nick Collison and of course the dreaded Gasol talk again.

If they could get Collison I'd be all over him. I think he's vastly under-valued. The main question is what would that deal cost (if they would be interested in some of our role players I'd be all for it, but again I don't see what sense that would make from Seattle's perspective).

I find it funny that people think Noah isn't an athlete. Thats singlehandedly the one reason why anyone would even consider him a top 10 pick (and it is why he would have went #1 overall last year).

The guy projects to be a fantastic defensive player and the question is obviously whether you could get him to do anything at all offensively (a big if). But for people to question his athletism is inaccurate, imo, and in the end if the scoring big are gone I at least want the Bulls to find another athlete up front.

The NBA really has the Spurs back. SA only makes 28 fields goals all night last night and is up by a mere 1 point heading to the 4th, so what do the refs do? Well they pull a 25 to 2 free throw attempt edge in the 4th quarter out of their asses for San Antonio, and turn a quarter full of laughable flops by Manu Ginobili into 11 foul shot attempts for him alone. What a joke.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 29, 2007 -> 08:39 AM)
The NBA really has the Spurs back. SA only makes 28 fields goals all night last night and is up by a mere 1 point heading to the 4th, so what do the refs do? Well they pull a 25 to 2 free throw attempt edge in the 4th quarter out of their asses for San Antonio, and turn a quarter full of laughable flops by Manu Ginobili into 11 foul shot attempts for him alone. What a joke.

I'm totally unbiased on these two series, but it seemed last night if Duncan got breathed on, a foul was called. Some calls was after a little weak contact but than other times when there is more noticable contact, nothing is called.

Refs just need to be consistent.

I don't know if Ginobli flops. He goes hard to the basket and uses his body to take contact. When he leads with the knee, like he did last night a few times, refs should notice that.

QUOTE(Brian @ May 29, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)
I'm totally unbiased on these two series, but it seemed last night if Duncan got breathed on, a foul was called. Some calls was after a little weak contact but than other times when there is more noticable contact, nothing is called.

Refs just need to be consistent.

I don't know if Ginobli flops. He goes hard to the basket and uses his body to take contact. When he leads with the knee, like he did last night a few times, refs should notice that.

Well this isn't a case where there is tangible evidence the players had the chance to decide a series taken away from them like in the Suns joke, and like I said SA was up 1 going to the 4th so obviously they could have definitely won anyways. But that 4th quarter was a joke, there is no way SA played 25 to 2 free throw attempth advantage basketball for those 12 minutes, or even close. And Ginobili had a lot of problems in the first 3 quarters last night, so he just flopped everytime. I don't blame him, hey he got the calls and it was a big reason why they won, but the refs have to be smarter than that. That is unless they want to call it that way like it looked. Again, if the NBA doesn't want people to say games are fixed, quit giving them ammo like the 4th quarter last night to do it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

So, seriously, some of those calls were iffy throughout the first 8 minutes of the 4th...but that T that they called on Fisher where Fisher bumped Ginobili slightly after a basket and Ginobili flopped (And my God no one in their right mind could say that was anything but a flop) was just outrageous.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 28, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
The guy projects to be a fantastic defensive player and the question is obviously whether you could get him to do anything at all offensively (a big if). But for people to question his athletism is inaccurate, imo, and in the end if the scoring big are gone I at least want the Bulls to find another athlete up front.

I agree with you roughly 1/2 of the way on this post. Yes, Noah is a pretty darn good athlete, and he has a chance to develop into an excellent interior player because of his athleticism. But IMO, the Bulls already have one guy like that, in Tyrus, and I think Tyrus is a much better candidate to develop into a dominant both-sides-of-the-court player than Noah, and that's my main reason for not wanting Noah; he seems like a lesser version of doubleT.

And on top of this point...lets say that all of the other potentially good options are gone. Oden, Durant, Hawes, Wright, Horford, Yi. That would virtually guarantee that there would be other talent on the board that the Bulls could use; even if a big man isn't directly available, it could make things much easier for the Bulls if they wanted to move Gordon or Hinrich to fill that hole. Brewer or Conley would probably have to be sitting there for all of the better options to have moved on, at which point the Bulls say Screw it, take the best player available, and then try to swing either Gordon or whoever we just drafted for the big man we so desperately need.