What are the odds of Dye getting dealt?

striker

I know no one probably wants to hear this but I think that Dye could end up being dealt. His stock is high, we have Sweeney/Fields waiting, and we are probably going to go back to small ball (which leaves power expendable). It would make sense to offer him up in some sort of Crawford or Ichiro deal or some deal to strengthen our starting rotation (both of which were our two weaknesses last year).

Thoughts?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you trade a guy based on how high his stock is and not looking at his overall importance to the team is, Michael Jordan would have played with a different team every year. Dye is a huge bargain next season as he has been the last 2. You put him in the line-up everyday in 2007 and see what happens. If the team is in contention you hang on to him, if it becomes apparent he isn't going to sign, and you try to win the WS. If the Sox somehow stumble, and it doesn't appear likely he will stick around, you trade him for some prospects. I've never totally understood trading someone for prospects a full season before their contract runs out. Sure you could lose him and get nothing in return, but you would get a full season with a bargain rate contract with said player. The prospects you get usually turn out to be nothing anyway. A lot of times its a good thing to have a player or 10 on a roster in their contract year. Their performance tends to be a little better than usual.

Edited by Dick Allen

As far as "odds" of trading Dye, are about 2-5%. The odds of a team overpaying to get him are about a 90-95%. If Dye wasn't only making 6 mil this comming season, I would definitely trade him, loyal or not, it's a buisness but that's too much of a bargain. If we are out of contention though, of course.

his stock is high, yes, but the career numbers are misleading. he had a run of bad luck and was injured when he was hitting .220 or so. now he's back to form, the same Jermaine Dye that put up MVP-caliber numbers in Oakland. we better be getting a Cy Young quality starters and a good rightfielder in return if he's dealt.

I'm a huge proponent of trading someone while their value is high, but with Dye, it's nearly impossible to compensate his production for his salary.

Now, if we had a blue-chip, absolute stud RF emerging within the minors, and our LF/CF positions weren't such question marks, I'd be more than willing to offer Dye.

However, I'll be the first to say if we're more than 6 games out of the Wild Card midseason and Dye is producing, he should be shipped elsewhere. I don't care about out history with the White-Flag trade, if we're in a poor position come the All-Star break I'm not betting one second on our team rebounding. Buehrle, if he hasn't already been shipped/signed longterm, should be gone as well.

If management refuses to do what's necessary because of the risk attendance may dip, or criticism will begin, they deserve to terminate themselves. Next season is absolutely crucial to our teams long-term status. If we're not competing with this division, with these pieces, 2008 won't be much different. Neither will 2009, 2010, etc. It will be time to blow it up and officially close this "window of opportunity."

With FA compensation out of the picture, it should serve as a warning to GM's to make intelligent decisions concerning their ballclub. You can no longer keep fan favorites, give some bulls*** quote about "believing in your team"-- even when you dont, only to watch valuable players leave via FA without compensation. Absolutely can't; especially with Detroit and Minnesota seemingly growing stronger.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
Who are you talking about?

Not anybody, at least on the current Sox. (Actually, Rowand sorta fit that descriptionlast year) Just stating that I believe THAT is the type of player you trade when value is high. That, or a guy who you know will not be back no matter what. NOTsomeone like Dye, who is consistent and getting better.

Edited by EvilMonkey

I just keep coming back to this one, simple fact.

White Sox Free Agents after:

Jermaine Dye

Tadahito Iguchi

Mark Buehrle

Freddy Garcia

Juan Uribe (Option for 08)

Javier Vazquez

Jon Garland

Joe Crede

Jim Thome ($14 mil option for 09)

And there are a few more on there. Thornton and MMac hit FA at some point, I just don't know exactly where.

The point is this: our team has a boat load of players hitting Free Agency in the next 2 years, including 4/5 of our current starting rotation, our DH, our entire infield save Konerko.

We just do not have the players in our minor leagues right now to replace all of them, nor do we have the money to do so.

Jermaine Dye is in his walk year. It would be nice to sign him to a contract extension, but he is getting up there in years, he is coming off a career year, and he's just as valuable to someone else as he is to us.

Every time one of these threads comes up, be it about Crede, Dye, Iguchi any of the starting pitchers...yes, the best option would be for us to hold onto all of them forever and have them never drop off, but that's just not going to happen. We can not afford to simply have these guys all hit Free Agency and walk for next to nothing, and we can't afford to resign all of them.

Holding on to all of them is just asking for a collapse in 2008. BMac and BA can't do everything. At some point, we have to deal someone, probably at least 2 or 3 of these guys, for some youth in order to free up salary space and fill in holes. It's either that, or in 2008, we find ourselves paying $100 million and having half our team filled with AAA players. For an example of what that looks like, take a look at the 2006 Chicago Cubs.

I don't know if it should be Dye, Crede, 3/5 of our starting pitchers, or what. But we need to move some of these guys and get younger, and we can not let talent like these guys have walk as free agents because we hesitate.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
I just keep coming back to this one, simple fact.

White Sox Free Agents after:

Jermaine Dye

Tadahito Iguchi

Mark Buehrle

Freddy Garcia

Juan Uribe (Option for 08)

Javier Vazquez

Jon Garland

Joe Crede

Jim Thome ($14 mil option for 09)

And there are a few more on there. Thornton and MMac hit FA at some point, I just don't know exactly where.

The point is this: our team has a boat load of players hitting Free Agency in the next 2 years, including 4/5 of our current starting rotation, our DH, our entire infield save Konerko.

We just do not have the players in our minor leagues right now to replace all of them, nor do we have the money to do so.

Jermaine Dye is in his walk year. It would be nice to sign him to a contract extension, but he is getting up there in years, he is coming off a career year, and he's just as valuable to someone else as he is to us.

Every time one of these threads comes up, be it about Crede, Dye, Iguchi any of the starting pitchers...yes, the best option would be for us to hold onto all of them forever and have them never drop off, but that's just not going to happen. We can not afford to simply have these guys all hit Free Agency and walk for next to nothing, and we can't afford to resign all of them.

Holding on to all of them is just asking for a collapse in 2008. BMac and BA can't do everything. At some point, we have to deal someone, probably at least 2 or 3 of these guys, for some youth in order to free up salary space and fill in holes. It's either that, or in 2008, we find ourselves paying $100 million and having half our team filled with AAA players. For an example of what that looks like, take a look at the 2006 Chicago Cubs.

I don't know if it should be Dye, Crede, 3/5 of our starting pitchers, or what. But we need to move some of these guys and get younger, and we can not let talent like these guys have walk as free agents because we hesitate.

Balta, you nailed it.. Some of these player will be gone .. Allegiances are gone in the offseason. Our payroll will probably go up. We are going to have to give up something to get something. Can't rely on AAA players.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)

you are right, and i don't think kenny will be one to hesitate. i have little doubt the front office in chicago on the southside has a pretty good idea of what they are doing in the future. i don't think kenny will just sit by and let us get old and expensive like the yankees.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Oct 22, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
can't trade your best outfielder who is making $6 million when you have nothing but ????????????? in the other outfield spots.

But I'd love to see the Sox bring ARow back.

He's the guy we missed in the clubhouse and dugout most, in my opinion.

Let this be a lesson to you, doctor, perhaps the most valuable one I can ever teach you: Sentiment is the greatest weakness of all.
-Elim Garak.