Dumbest moments in Sox history.

santo=dorf

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone remember that game with frank prolly in '98 or '99 where he whiffed on strike three and literally spun around and fell in the dirt. then took the bat and hit it on the ground between his legs while sitting there and stuck his tongue out lookin like an idiot. i thought it was friggin hilarious

Way before my time-Getting stuck in the same city as the Cubs, just unfortunate luck.

Before my time-The game shorts and disco demolition weren't the smartest ideas.

1994-This isn't just the Sox, but the strike, if I recall correctly Jerry didn't try to stop the strike at all, we had a damn good team too.

1997-White flag trade, sure maybe we wouldn't have ended up winning the division or getting the wild card anyways, but still it was couple months of the season

Getting players like Danny Darwin, Doug Drebek, Danny Tartabull, Charlie O'Brien, and Ruben Sierra, all past their prime too.

I have been following the team since '82 probably. Prior to that I was too young to even care. Ron LeFlor getting hit in the head by a fly ball was an instant Darwin Award candidate but it did not put poor Ron out of his misery. I think Bevington's bar room tussle (I think it was only verbal, but it made the press) with an umpire also has to be up there. The fact that Terry "Boom Boom" Bevington was ever manager was a whole slew of stupidity wrapped into a season or two. How about a young Ozzie Guillen getting duped at 1st base on the hidden ball trick twice in one season? Overall, however, I am certain every team has had plenty of these to cite. It is the way of baseball and what made TWIB one of the best shows to watch as a kid.

QUOTE(StatManDu @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 12:37 AM)
It was Ron LeFlore who got hit in the head with a flyball. Also, it was Carlos May who had his thumb tragically blown off -- not Carlos Lee.

This is a great thread.

To me, the dumbest moment in White Sox history encapsulated what a mistake the Terry Bevington Era was. I am remembering a nationally televised game in Baltimore on Fox. Terry ordered an intentional walk. After intentional ball three, he visited the mound. Realizing he had just made an embarrassing mistake, Bev had no choice but to turn around and return to the dugout. After intentional ball four was delivered, Bevington returned to the mound and made his pitching change.

That was the same year Bev tried to make a pitching change with no one warming up.

I once saw Warren Newson go from first to third on a caught pop up. Just put his head down and started running.

I think Chester did as well, however maybe I'm just getting old.

QUOTE(Butter Parque @ Jan 14, 2007 -> 01:28 AM)
It would have to be the James Baldwin trade.

LOL, what has Baldwin done since he was traded away?

Here let me show you, it wasnt pretty

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/baldwja01.shtml

The Sox did good cutting bait with James Baldwin, it definitely wasnt a dumb moment. His shoulder/Rotator cuff was never the same after 2000.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Jan 14, 2007 -> 07:18 AM)
Trading away our best prospects in 1959 & 60 for way past prime aging players, we traded John Romano, Earl Battey, Norm Cash, and John Callison for players like Roy Sievers and Gene Freese

That damn Kenny Williams ! Always trading our prospects ! :P

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 14, 2007 -> 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL, what has Baldwin done since he was traded away?

Here let me show you, it wasnt pretty

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/baldwja01.shtml

The Sox did good cutting bait with James Baldwin, it definitely wasnt a dumb moment. His shoulder/Rotator cuff was never the same after 2000.

It's not James Baldwin, it's the embarrasing situation with Berry and Barry.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/010726baldwin.html

Most interesting of all? Chicago thought it had acquired righthander Jon Berry, not Jeff Barry, and issued a press release to that effect. Neither team realized which Barry/Berry the other side was discussing, and the White Sox decided to accept Barry.

Barry, 32, has hit .244-5-28 in 244 big league at-bats with the Mets and Rockies. He's a garden-variety Quadruple-A outfielder who spent 2000 in Japan and is of little use to the White Sox.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1997-White flag trade, sure maybe we wouldn't have ended up winning the division or getting the wild card anyways, but still it was couple months of the season

Getting players like Danny Darwin, Doug Drebek, Danny Tartabull, Charlie O'Brien, and Ruben Sierra, all past their prime too.

:huh:

First you mention the white flag trade as a bad moment, but then you nitpick that Danny Darwin was a bad pickup at the time. Do you realize that Darwin was one of the three players the Sox traded in the white flag trade?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 02:40 AM)
The way I recall it, it was Buehrle who could have pitched against the Yankees on Normal rest that day due to an off day, but Manuel went with Cotts anyway.

One I gotta throw in as incredibly dumb; throwing Loaiza out in game 1 against the Twins in a key series in 2003 when Loaiza was sick as hell. Cotts would have been a better option that day.

Yea that 2003 team was rolling and heading for the playoffs until Manual put in Cotts. That team could have done some damage in the postseason that year with Buerhle having a great second half, Colon catching fire and Loaiza having a career year. Oh well we ended up getting Contreras for Loaiza and we all know how that worked out for us ;)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 06:05 PM)
Paniagua killed the Sox, not Cotts

the team not showing up in minny didn't help that year either.

I'll never forget when the TV cameras caught maggs sitting on the dugout with his head completely down right after they got swept in minny.

But yeah, i was at the paninagua game and I am convinced that if we would have won ONE of those last 2 games in that series, we're in the playoffs and do some serious damage.