Can anyone think of a worse Sox outfield ?

WHITESOXRANDY

I'm trying to remember back to when the Sox had only one good OFer.

What happens if Dye gets injured ? We have Erstad in LF, Anderson in CF and Sweeney in RF. That would have to be the worst outfield in baseball.

I think Sweeney will be a very good player - in 2009 or 2010 and probably the same for Anderson.

How far back would you have to go find a worse Sox outfield than what we have now ?

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
I'm trying to remember back to when the Sox had only one good OFer.

What happens if Dye gets injured ? We have Erstad in LF, Anderson in CF and Sweeney in RF. That would have to be the worst outfield in baseball.

I think Sweeney will be a very good player - in 2009 or 2010 and probably the same for Anderson.

How far back would you have to go find a worse Sox outfield than what we have now ?

Pasqua, Calderon and Gallagher?

Well as of right now the Nationals have a worse OF than the Sox and if Kearns gets hurt then they'll be MUCH worse.

The Giants have a worse OF right now as well and if Bonds isn't re-signed or gets hurt then they'll be Much worse.

I'm sure there's a few more but those 2 were the first to come to mind.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
I would add the A's to the list.

Well Kotsay rebounded nicely at the end of last season and Milton Bradley is an above average hitter and if one of them went down they could always move Swisher back to the OF actually making the overall hitting of the OF improve. Anderson and Erstad have the potential to be 2 of the worst starting OF in baseball offensively next season while Dye is great. I'd say right now it's a puch between the Sox and A's and if you take away the best hitter and add the replacement the A's OF is better. It's a ridiculous premise but I'll follow it anyway.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well as of right now the Nationals have a worse OF than the Sox and if Kearns gets hurt then they'll be MUCH worse.

The Giants have a worse OF right now as well and if Bonds isn't re-signed or gets hurt then they'll be Much worse.

I think I'd rather have, for this year, Bonds, Klesko, Dave Roberts and Randy Wynn. But, I'll give you the Nationals - wow that whole team looks bad ! They make the Royals look good.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
I think I'd rather have, for this year, Bonds, Klesko, Dave Roberts and Randy Wynn. But, I'll give you the Nationals - wow that whole team looks bad ! They make the Royals look good.

You would rather have this outfield? Are you serious?!?

last time i checked we had a good defense outfield. With a good mix of youth and vets.

If Dye gets hurt? Every team is about one injury away from having a bad outfield or team.

Does everything have to be ultra-neagtive on here. We have the worst outfield, we have the no pitchers, what if everyone gets hurt, we need to bring in someone huge to solve all our problems. Sounds really whinney to me.

well by your logic take away one player and see who has the worst OF.

There are many that are worse. If you want to talk realistically with Dye, there are plenty worse than ours.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)

The cubs have probably the worst defensive OF in the majors.

i don't see how signing another OFer suddenly made us a worse outfield than before. Why the cries now? It's been this way for a year and a half.

*not actually a half a season, i was thinking half a year as in this offseason.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)
i don't see how signing another OFer suddenly made us a worse outfield than before. Why the cries now? It's been this way for a year and a half.

*not actually a half a season, i was thinking half a year as in this offseason.

Because now it appears Scott Podsednik could be out for awhile or be even worse than he was before when/if he returns and while he's out Darin Erstad is actually worse offensively than Pods.

Sorry guys. I'm not trying to be negative and I still think the Division will come down to the Sox and Tigers. But, when it comes to the Sox outfield, this is how I see it:

1. Pods didn't make it to the majors until he was 28 and the reason was INJURIES. I like a healthy Pods offensively but I still don't like him defensively in LF but I would be ok with him if he were healthy. The problem now is that his game is all about his speed. He has a bad injury requiring groin surgery. He will not be 100 % healthy before June - if at all this season. So, his usefulness to the Sox is VERY questionable.

2. The Erstad signing. The Sox are not risking any money to speak of so that's good. But, Erstad is NOT 100% healthy either. I read a very recent interview with him where he says that he's hopeful to be ready to start the season and stay healthy. If he is healthy and stays that way, he still isn't much of a hitter- little power and low OBP. He WAS a great defensive player but with age and injuries he's probably about average now. If the Sox had 3 good OFers and Erstad was the 4th, that would be fine.

3. I like BA and I think that he'll become a solid offensive player - probably by 2009.

The Sox problem: having 2 of 3 outfield spots played by Erstad/Anderson/Ozuna/Mackowiack/Pods is NOT a good thing.

I'd rather have Jacque Jones in left field to be honest. Atleast he can hit and hit with power. He'd probably hit 30 dingers for the Sox and while he shouldn't be playing right, he would be fine in LF. He's healthy and has some speed. Plus, there's another guy that would want to beat the Twins.