Going to U.S. Cellular for the first time

Grebeck Fan Club

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:29 AM)
I call BS, I could have swore JJ was your favorite meal in the world.

Well if you ask my dad's credit card bill, then yes it's JJ. JJ is definitely my favorite sandwich and really my favorite place down at school but nothing beats a sausage pizza from Lou's.

Staying at the Holiday Inn Mark Plaza (Priceline). Arriving July 4 around 12:30 Chi-town time. We thought about hitting Taste of Chicago on the 4th (daytime), then maybe a show at Second City that night.

Thanks for the pizza recommendations.

What's a good place to indulge my need to buy something Sox-related and not get too ripped off?

QUOTE(Grebeck Fan Club @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)
Staying at the Holiday Inn Mark Plaza (Priceline). Arriving July 4 around 12:30 Chi-town time. We thought about hitting Taste of Chicago on the 4th (daytime), then maybe a show at Second City that night.

Thanks for the pizza recommendations.

What's a good place to indulge my need to buy something Sox-related and not get too ripped off?

Anything in the city is going to be expensive for Sox stuff, but you will definately find the best selection at Grandstand, which is west of the ballpark on 35th street. personally I wouldn't recommend that you go to the taste on the 4th, that late in the day. It is going to be SOOO crowded. Like others have said, there will literally be one million people in Grant Park and the surrounding areas. it is miserable.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)
Anything in the city is going to be expensive for Sox stuff, but you will definately find the best selection at Grandstand, which is west of the ballpark on 35th street. personally I wouldn't recommend that you go to the taste on the 4th, that late in the day. It is going to be SOOO crowded. Like others have said, there will literally be one million people in Grant Park and the surrounding areas. it is miserable.

Not to mention, you could go to one of the restaurants thats at the Taste, sit in air conditioning, actually be served, have breathing room and have it be cheaper. The Taste of Chicago has long been my enemy so I am a little prejudice, but how can people enjoy it when its that crowded?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:30 PM)
Not to mention, you could go to one of the restaurants thats at the Taste, sit in air conditioning, actually be served, have breathing room and have it be cheaper. The Taste of Chicago has long been my enemy so I am a little prejudice, but how can people enjoy it when its that crowded?

I agree 100%. I'd rather spend the extra money and get service than spend those prices and fight those crowds.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:24 PM)

However it's the last day so if he wants to go, it's then or not at all. Like I said, we have a ritual of staying in the city on the 3rd and going to the Taste the morning/early afternoon of the 4th and it's been ok. Don't get me wrong, it is crowded, but it's at least bearable up to around 4ish.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
However it's the last day so if he wants to go, it's then or not at all. Like I said, we have a ritual of staying in the city on the 3rd and going to the Taste the morning/early afternoon of the 4th and it's been ok. Don't get me wrong, it is crowded, but it's at least bearable up to around 4ish.

If they are arriving at 12:30 pm, (I am guessing at O-Hare) it will probably be that late before they get down there. If they are getting into the city at 12:30 and go there first thing, they would be OK, as long as they got out before the rush.

QUOTE(Grebeck Fan Club @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
Taste of Chicago isn't getting a lot of votes. Daytime stuff is still up in the air for sure.

What other daytime activities are recommended? Thursday and Friday are open. No, we aren't going to see Oprah.

Well, I'll give a vote for the Taste as a pleasant experience, as long as your'e willing to tolerate a big crowd and spend a little bit more money on food than usual. Usually makes for a fun day, esp. if you can avoid having to drive in and out of the city (thank you South Shore!)

QUOTE(Grebeck Fan Club @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 09:33 PM)
Taste of Chicago isn't getting a lot of votes. Daytime stuff is still up in the air for sure.

What other daytime activities are recommended? Thursday and Friday are open. No, we aren't going to see Oprah.

Go to Navy Pier and take a ride on the Seadog.

I'll second the recommendation for the SeaDog tour. Take the Speedboat Lake Tour; it'll be nice and refreshing and a good view of the skyline.

I'd also recommend purchasing a CTA Visitors Pass, since the hotel you're staying at is a bit of a hike to the major attractions, and of course you can take advantage of it when you go to the game. You can get a 3-day pass for $12, which includes unlimited rides. The Holiday Inn is connected to the gigantic Merchandise Mart, which is connected to the elevated Brown Line platform (no need to even walk outside). Check out the CTA Map and notice the Merchandise Mart Brown Line station just north of the Chicago River.

http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/maps/2007D.html

To get to Millennium Park, take the Brown Line towards the Loop and get off at Madison. To the Cell: get off at Adams and transfer to the southbound Green Line and get off at 35th.

A CTA Vistiors Pass is definitely the way to go!

Edited by SouthSidePride05

QUOTE(Grebeck Fan Club @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 09:33 PM)

If you like John Mayer, he's performing at 3pm at the Taste on the 4th. That is where I will be before heading up the Red Line to the Cell for the game. I would definitely recommend taking the Red Line to the game as well; it's $2 each way so you save on parking, gas, and avoid the traffic.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)

Not true. The Taste of Chicago goes on until July 8th. So you have a few days to make it over there, I highly recommend it. But thats easy for me to say, I love crowds.

The taste gives you a chance to taste tons of different food, see all different types of people, and enjoy the city as a whole. If I were you I would definitely make time to visit the taste.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
Not true. The Taste of Chicago goes on until July 8th. So you have a few days to make it over there, I highly recommend it. But thats easy for me to say, I love crowds.

The taste gives you a chance to taste tons of different food, see all different types of people, and enjoy the city as a whole. If I were you I would definitely make time to visit the taste.

And if you haven't been in Chicago for 4 years, and probably won't be there again for a few more, it's a great way to hit a ton of restaurants in a short timespan.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 04:43 PM)

Thanks for that info. The Hilton told us the 4th due to some other fest being booked at Grant Park on Saturday.