Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

According to KW, he's waiting to get the Buehrle situation resolved before making any other moves. So basically, the worst case scenario would be to have to trade Buehrle for a less than tremendous package, and then have to keep Contreras and his contract. They really need to get this Buehrle situation resolved in the next 10 days though. I don't think the Mets will ever be as desperate for pitching as they are now.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of surprised no one mentioned this yet... according to this morning's article on the Sox site, this started when MB's camp made an opening offer - 5/75. The Sox wanted 3, moved up to 4, and MB's camp came down on money from that 15 per (to whatever it is now, assumedly 14 per or something similar).

Just some data to add to the discussion.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 10:23 AM)
Kind of surprised no one mentioned this yet... according to this morning's article on the Sox site, this started when MB's camp made an opening offer - 5/75. The Sox wanted 3, moved up to 4, and MB's camp came down on money from that 15 per (to whatever it is now, assumedly 14 per or something similar).

Just some data to add to the discussion.

1 year and 1 mill per year is nothing by today's standards. 5/75 is still a fair deal for both sides.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:38 AM)
1 year and 1 mill per year is nothing by today's standards. 5/75 is still a fair deal for both sides.

$19 million in guaranteed money is still a lot. Considering JR and his buddies bought the White Sox and Comiskey Park, and land around it less than 30 years ago for about $20 million it may put things into perspective. If Buerhle wants to set generations of Buerhles up for life or maybe he has other aspirations 20 or 30 years from now, a few million can become an awful lot in that time span.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)
there gonna sign him... you know how horrible this would be for JR and company from a PR percpective.

it'll get done soon and then we'll see some deals go down.

Agreed.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
$19 million in guaranteed money is still a lot. Considering JR and his buddies bought the White Sox and Comiskey Park, and land around it less than 30 years ago for about $20 million it may put things into perspective. If Buerhle wants to set generations of Buerhles up for life or maybe he has other aspirations 20 or 30 years from now, a few million can become an awful lot in that time span.

FYI, the White Sox doesn't own Comiskey. They rent it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:12 AM)
According to KW, he's waiting to get the Buehrle situation resolved before making any other moves. So basically, the worst case scenario would be to have to trade Buehrle for a less than tremendous package, and then have to keep Contreras and his contract. They really need to get this Buehrle situation resolved in the next 10 days though. I don't think the Mets will ever be as desperate for pitching as they are now.

10 days?! It should be resolve by tomorrow. This is becoming ridiculous. Either trade him or sign him, already. I'm tired of waking up to the same information bouncing around. The deadline I read several days ago concerning Buehrle and a contract should be enforced by Wednesday.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:12 AM)

I think you're right, but that's just more bad GM'ing by KW. He should be looking to trade Jose regardless of what happens with MB.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 09:15 PM)
*shakes kap*

"Kaaaaa-aaaaap...Kaaaaaa-aaaaaaap.......it's not over yet. Go back to sleep."

:D

So how are you faring down there in Austin with all the rain?

We have our Noah the Ark built in back of our house.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 04:21 PM)
:D

So how are you faring down there in Austin with all the rain?

We have our Noah the Ark built in back of our house.

Well, we can't go boating on Lake Travis, Lake Austin or Town Lake, so I've been using my boat to get to work.

Or swimming to and from to get some exercise. How's Big D?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
10 days?! It should be resolve by tomorrow. This is becoming ridiculous. Either trade him or sign him, already. I'm tired of waking up to the same information bouncing around. The deadline I read several days ago concerning Buehrle and a contract should be enforced by Wednesday.

It's quite annoying, there is no doubt about that, however, this situation really doesn't need to be rushed. It honestly just needs to be resolved by July 31st.

Buster Olney was just on ESPN and said he talked with MB's agent a few hours ago, and said Mark is giving the Whitesox a huge hometown discount at 4/56, and that he wants a full no trade clause period. He said basically right now it's a staredown to who blinks first. I think this may drag out the rest of the month.

Edited by diegotony06

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
Buehrle's trying to avoid the media until something gets done/trade happens, according to the most recent update on the Score. There's no way this can drag out until the end of the month.

I don't see why the Buehrle situation would/should affect Contreras. Is it because they feel they only have one "capable" starting pitcher in the wings in Floyd and that, if they trade Contreras and don't get anything done with Buehrle, they'll be left with Masset or Broadway along with Floyd in the rotation, a direction they don't want to go?

The Mets fans I've read seem to want a bat (right-handed) more than another pitcher, but with Perez on the DL and Sosa fading, you're right in saying now is the time (logically) to strike a deal with them. Could we package a deal with Dye and Contreras? They pretty much hate Shawn Green, and I think Dye could play a passable first* (Delgado has been awful). Would Green + Milledge for Contreras + Dye work? Not that I, in any way, want Green, but it would make sense salary wise. Then again, if Green has a NTC, I'd doubt that he would come here.

I made this point not to say Dye would play first on any regular basis, just that it's an option.

Edited by CWSGuy406

I certainly hope it doesn't drag out that long. I really want to see JC moved out of here. That's the main guy I would love to see KW move, just to get rid of that contract. I'm sure he has some value to an NL team, so hopefully KW can get something done. I don't like that he said int he paper today that he is waiting for this MB situation to get resolved before moving anyone else.

in other news reifert and cowley are now alright with each other

Good News! Joe Cowley of the Sun-Times and I made up before the game today and he evened promised to consider taking part in Blog Night (I know I need to pick a date).

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
Buster Olney was just on ESPN and said he talked with MB's agent a few hours ago, and said Mark is giving the Whitesox a huge hometown discount at 4/56, and that he wants a full no trade clause period. He said basically right now it's a staredown to who blinks first. I think this may drag out the rest of the month.

Will it be the same if Soxtalk fans gived Mark a NTC? :D

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 05:08 PM)

We can shoot for 200 pages in this thread. YES!

Teddy Greenstein made a good point on CTL, it's time for the Whitesox to start offering full no trade clauses to cetain special players. You don't have to offer it to everyone, just players that are worthy of it, especially one that is taking such a big discount. I agree with him 100%. I think the Org. needs to change the way they do business regarding NTC's. It's part of the game now. I'm not saying every player, but special players. Big time FA's. Most of the time when you hear a player has a NTC, usually they waive it if the teams asks them to. So I would give Mb the full NTC, and then KW can get on with whatever trades he has planned. You don't want to let this linger too long, cause if they fail to sign MB soon, teams are gonna know we can't sign him, and they aren't gonna offer as much as they would have earlier. It's time to either sign this guy, or trade him.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)
Teddy Greenstein made a good point on CTL, it's time for the Whitesox to start offering full no trade clauses to cetain special players. You don't have to offer it to everyone, just players that are worthy of it, especially one that is taking such a big discount. I agree with him 100%. I think the Org. needs to change the way they do business regarding NTC's. It's part of the game now. I'm not saying every player, but special players. Big time FA's. Most of the time when you hear a player has a NTC, usually they waive it if the teams asks them to. So I would give Mb the full NTC, and then KW can get on with whatever trades he has planned. You don't want to let this linger too long, cause if they fail to sign MB soon, teams are gonna know we can't sign him, and they aren't gonna offer as much as they would have earlier. It's time to either sign this guy, or trade him.

I absolutely agree. It's garbage for Kenny to say he can't give a NTC because then every player will expect it. He can give Mark the NTC because Mark is giving something to the team, namely the hometown discount. It's called give and take. That is what negotiating is about. If they let Mark get away, there is simply no defending it. Don't even try.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jul 3, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
in other news reifert and cowley are now alright with each other

Good News! Joe Cowley of the Sun-Times and I made up before the game today and he evened promised to consider taking part in Blog Night (I know I need to pick a date).

I think Cowley's dream job is JR's cabana boy, and he was just jealous. Reifert does have a pretty sweet gig, and is a Hawkeye.