Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
He belongs in Charlotte to duke it out with the other AAAA pitchers we have assembled. Just imagine this rotation for the Knights:

Broadway

Sisco

Masset

Haeger

Floyd

Just good enough to be good in AAA.

I'm not opposed to get him more seasoning in AAA, I'm just saying he's a decent pitcher, and could possibly help the ball club in the future.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
He sucks....outside of his first relief appearance and his Cubs start, he's one of the worst pitchers in Sox history. 51 base runners in his last 17 relief innings is all you need to know.

Lol - I don't know man, we've had some losey pitchers, so it would take a little more than 17 innings to reach that title. :D I get your point though...

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 09:57 AM)
Obviously the thought of resigning him did occur or they wouldn't have ever opened negotiations....I mean, unless you believe their intentions all along were to completely destroy his trade value and piss off a bunch of fans just so they could say "we tried". As I posted earlier, if you follow the sequence of events, there were obvious changes in direction on the part of KW over the course of the past year, but moreso over the past 2 weeks.

Read the rest of the sentence to get the full idea of what I was saying.

They wanted to try and stop the fan mutiny/bleeding caused by a horrendous month and a half of baseball being played. Problem is, that ploy has now backfired and they are in for one very large PR s***storm when the dust settles from all of this.

They seem to reopen negotiations, going against Kenny's "We don't negotiate during the season." Sox=Hero. Mark goes all the way down to 4/$56, big discount, Mark=Hero. Sox agree to money, but an NTC...NO WAY! Story over. I think they were HOPING that it would stay that way, because this way they can save face by using the NTC as their scapegoat while still trying to appease the fans/masses. But...*IF* what ESPN is reporting and MB/Berry went back to the table saying f*** the NTC and the Sox still balked...Sox=Deep-s***. See now MB comes across as the city-guy/man of the Sox, while the Sox come off as assholes.

This whole thing was a WELL orchestrated PR stunt in an effort to turn the attention away from the disaster that has been happening on the field for the last few months. They almost, to their credit, pulled it off. However, I think its safe to say that Boyer and Reifert now have their hands full for quite a long time.

While I am no conspiracy theorist, when it comes to the Sox, I don't doubt ANYTHING.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 09:16 AM)
chisox72,

I agree 110%.

Taking a step back, I think they made their minds up about Buehrle in the offseason. The guy was given the ball every opening day for several years, then all of a sudden you give the ball to someone else. Some will say that was because how he pitched in 2006, but if that was the case Garland would've gotten it once or twice based on performance.

Didnt contreras pitch opening day in 2006?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)

No, it was Buehrle. Sunday night baseball against Cleveland. He didn't go long, however, because of the rain. B-Mac came in as the long reliever.

Mark isn't overrated on this site at all. There are exceptions to every rule but for the most part, nobody here thinks he's Peavy or Johan. Mark might not be a shut down ace, but I think his overall numbers since he's come into the league speak for themself. If anything I don't think people realize just how good Mark has been since he's come into the league, 15th in era, 2nd in innings pitched, those are some pretty impressive stats right there.

As for the whole PR thing, as good as Frank was, he was no where near as popular among Sox fans as Buehrle is now by the time he left. There were plenty of Sox fans who never liked Franks attitude and of course he had the cute little Big Skirt nickname. I don't think there is a Sox fan out there who doesn't love Mark Buehrle.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 08:52 AM)
This argument has been rehashed numerous times no this site so I really don't want to get into it. Again, Mark is a good pitcher and $14M, for a team planning on competing, is a good deal. The Sox aren't competing for at least another 3-4 years (based on the young, cheap rosters in DET and CLE). So why in the hell would we want to drop $14M a year on a pitcher that might help us lose less?
Detroit has a young, cheap roster? $95 million payroll. Rogers, Jones, Rodriguez, and Sheffield are all over 35. I wouldn't call them young or cheap.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 09:41 AM)
Exactly. Mark had been given the honor of being the opening day starter for several years, then the team decides to give it to Contreras who wasn't even the best pitcher in 2006 (Garland). This just seemed like another step to separate from Mark.

It's going to be fun watching Vazquez, Contreras, Danks, Floyd, and Gio try to lead the league in losses in 2008 and 2009. I have no problem trading Buehrle, but it signals that Garland will be gone also, and because of that, KW will be timid to trade Contreras.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 06:27 AM)
You need to get more guys like Danks in here, and build from there. Just the math alone doesn't work

build what exactly? A middling team that competes or a championship team? Two years removed from a title, are they still a win now franchise?

The Sox don't find themselves in this position because they have too much money tied up with a few players, they are in this position because they made some serious errors in evaluating talent. 2005 should've been a revelation for this team - that a stout rotation and decent bullpen can overcome a lot of shortcomings in other areas.

What really makes me laugh is that if Buehrle had the same exact career numbers but did it with a 95mph fastball in his arsenal then no one would ever question his status as a number one or "ace."

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
build what exactly? A middling team that competes or a championship team? Two years removed from a title, are they still a win now franchise?

The Sox don't find themselves in this position because they have too much money tied up with a few players, they are in this position because they made some serious errors in evaluating talent. 2005 should've been a revelation for this team - that a stout rotation and decent bullpen can overcome a lot of shortcomings in other areas.

What really makes me laugh is that if Buehrle had the same exact career numbers but did it with a 95mph fastball in his arsenal then no one would ever question his status as a number one or "ace."

He'd get more than Zito.

All you have to do to see the value of Mark Buehrle is compare him to Javier Vazquez.

What's sick is we are letting Buehrle go, while extending Vazquez.

Buehrle has been the ultimate team guy who bleeds Sox silver and black. He's incredibly durable, still under 30, and is someone you can count on for 200+ innings, 15 wins, etc. every year. Why we wouldn't give the guy a no-trade clause is just crazy. I agree he's not a #1 guy on a WS winner, but he served very capably as a #2 guy on a WS winner. And he's still doing his thing while our #1 guy -- Contreras -- has now gone in the tank and isn't worthy of being a #5 guy.

What's also sick is that Buehrle is going to be pitching for another 12-14 years and winning in the major leagues. If he lands with the right team, and especially if he ends up in the NL, I could see him pitching like Tom Glavine for a long time.

The saddest thing for me is I have a 4-year-old son I've tried to turn into a White Sox fan (though we live in VA). He kind of remembers the Sox winning the World Series, but as he was not yet 3 then, it's pretty tenuous. Now, I don't have a single argument for why he should root for the Sox. Frankly, the Nationals, as bad as they are, are more worthy of fan support. I can ride out the bad times with the Sox -- goodness knows, as a fan since 1970, I've had to -- but can I expect him to root for the Sox for the next 5 years while they "rebuild" with guys who can't hold Mark Buehrle's jock?

SICK, SAD, SICK, SAD, SICK, SAD, SAD, SICK, SAD, SICK, SAD, SICK, SAD.

Just looked up Mark's career stats. With 93 wins in his first 6 full years (103 overall), I'd say he has a decent chance of winning 300 games in his career, especially if he moves to the NL. I think he learned his lesson about keeping in shape after last season, so I don't expect to repeat that. He has an easy motion. If he stays healthy, averages 15 wins/year, he'll be around 280+ wins at 40. Again, the sick thing will be that 200 of those wins will be for another team. In the meantime, we'll be lucky to get any other starter during the rest of Mark's career to average 15 wins a year for even 3-4 years, much less the 6+ years Mark has put together.

Edited by VAfan

Meanwhile... with one more solid outing, Mark could have his era under 3... currently at 3.03.

This is f***ing nuts, management won't underpay for him in what could wind up going down as his best season (stats wise, not wins, we suck)...

I love Mark, what's happening is a joke. KW should have just said "we want to go in a different direction." f***ing retarded.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)
I love Mark, what's happening is a joke. KW should have just said "we want to go in a different direction." f***ing retarded.
What direction would that be? Straight to the bottom? Perennial 4th place in the AL Central.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 01:21 PM)
What direction would that be? Straight to the bottom? Perennial 4th place in the AL Central.

4th would be an optomistic point of view, unless we keep our payroll in the top 10 the Royals will challenge the sox for that 4th place slot.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
4th would be an optomistic point of view, unless we keep our payroll in the top 10 the Royals will challenge the sox for that 4th place slot.

Geez, you guys make it sound like MB will be the difference between a WS and an AL Central last place finish. It's not that drastic...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
I don't know that I have ever been so happy to see a thread closed in Soxtalk history!

And since I was so wrong, I'll close it with I was very wrong, and not afraid to admit it... WTG Sox!