Official Recruiting Thread II

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)
I hate Illinois, but your "source" blows. That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

That's like me saying "I'm so excited for the direction of Indiana's basketball program under Tom Crean!"… It's stupid.

It's not dumb at all. It might be illogical to grown adults but Brunson and Alexander are very close friends and to say that an 18 year old kid was bothered about how fans treated a friend of his is not a stretch at all.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which BTW, I've taken a ton of s*** for supporting… But most of you we're right. This guy is not suitable to run a program. (Especially SoxBadger, we've been at it plenty.. But you were spot on for a few years now. My apologies man…)

Edited by He_Gawn

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 05:37 PM)
Guy who's my source points out that all these kids like Jahlil. Cliff, and Jalen are close and cites the way Illinois fans treated Cliff after he chose Kansas as a reason kids won't go to Illinois, including Brunson.

Then do not come to Illinois. Cliffy grabbed and dissed a Illini hat and fans are not supposed to be a little pissed off.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 06:22 PM)
Which BTW, I've taken a ton of s*** for supporting… But most of you we're right. This guy is not suitable to run a program. (Especially SoxBadger, we've been at it plenty.. But you were spot on for a few years now. My apologies man…)

2 years from now, IU will either be doing well under Crean or have a new coach. I still can't see him getting fired after this year, unless they do something absolutely awful like put up a single digit win total.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)
2 years from now, IU will either be doing well under Crean or have a new coach. I still can't see him getting fired after this year, unless they do something absolutely awful like put up a single digit win total.

Crean's buyout through mid-summer of next year is $12 million. Drops to $7.5 million the next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
Crean's buyout through mid-summer of next year is $12 million. Drops to $7.5 million the next year.

I honestly think that if Glass wants to pull the trigger, he will. I'm not sure what the rules are on boosters donating money to pay for buyouts (it happened with Sampson), but even if it was $12 million I bet they could come up with enough money to get him to leave. Hell, just convince Mark Cuban IU needs a new coach and you're golden.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 10:12 PM)
Lots of buzz at illinois loyalty about Brunson going to illinois, I take it with a grain of salt but damn is this exciting.

There was lots of buzz with Cliff, Demetrius Jackson, etc. Illinois Loyalty is garbage. People post great links, but "any buzz" is pretty much BS.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 05:55 AM)
There was lots of buzz with Cliff, Demetrius Jackson, etc. Illinois Loyalty is garbage. People post great links, but "any buzz" is pretty much BS.

Posters there are sheep. 4-5 guys (prob the owner of the site) are supposed insiders and everything they say is taken as gospel. When they're wrong they chalk it up to a last minute, unexpected change. It's pathetic really. Just wait and find out today at 430.

Again, as would/does the fringe of nearly every fan base. Spurned lover response.

I'm not going to freak out if he doesn't come here. I'll freak out he chooses Nova and Evans chooses OK State. That'll set Illinois back, yet again. And I think we lose out on Bragg. Get one of these PG's and Bragg is still a legit possibility. Brunson/Evans, Bragg, Williams and Jordan is a top ten class. Thomas would still be a possibility too.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
Again, as would/does the fringe of nearly every fan base. Spurned lover response.

I'm not going to freak out if he doesn't come here. I'll freak out he chooses Nova and Evans chooses OK State. That'll set Illinois back, yet again. And I think we lose out on Bragg. Get one of these PG's and Bragg is still a legit possibility. Brunson/Evans, Bragg, Williams and Jordan is a top ten class. Thomas would still be a possibility too.

I feel like Thomas is much less of a possibility if Brunson is the PG instead of Evans. Evans and gilder at OK St would be too much to overcome I think. Brunson might help more with Bragg though.

Let's just hope one of them comes. Either one is fine.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)

If Groce doesn't land Brunson, Evans or convince Murray to reclassify to 2015 and get him, there really won't be any reason other than blind hope to believe Groce will be able to win big at Illinois.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:05 AM)
If Groce doesn't land Brunson, Evans or convince Murray to reclassify to 2015 and get him, there really won't be any reason other than blind hope to believe Groce will be able to win big at Illinois.

Agreed, he knows his future depends on landing a PG for the future in this class. I still absolutely think he gets one of Evans/Brunson.

I think that's a little unrealistic. He's going for broke, which is fine, but he's also grabbing good, solid, 4 year guys too. Illinois has never been "in" on so many top level recruits before, even if he doesn't land one. The program itself is getting deeper and better. He made the tournament and won a game in his first year (first tourney win in 7 seasons). Last year he had I think the youngest team in the big ten, playing 2 freshman significant minutes.

If we're in the same position in 2016 - bubble team, no impact recruits - then I might agree with you. But not going into year 3.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)
I think that's a little unrealistic. He's going for broke, which is fine, but he's also grabbing good, solid, 4 year guys too. Illinois has never been "in" on so many top level recruits before, even if he doesn't land one. The program itself is getting deeper and better. He made the tournament and won a game in his first year (first tourney win in 7 seasons). Last year he had I think the youngest team in the big ten, playing 2 freshman significant minutes.

If we're in the same position in 2016 - bubble team, no impact recruits - then I might agree with you. But not going into year 3.

Well yea, he's done a fantastic job thus far (even last year was good considering the circumstances). But for him to sustain a high level of success he needs his PG, it's needed for him to run the system he wants to.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)

Yes, blind hope is nonsense. While a big hit, it'd be a joke to throw in the towel on Groce if one of these two don't come here. There's been plenty to point to outside of "blind hope."

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 10, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
It's Nova for Brunson.

With the timing, smart money would seem to be on Villanova. However, I'm with Henricksen: everybody is in the dark with this recruitment, so who knows exactly what Jalen is going to do?