2007 Post ASB White Sox Catch-All Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
Well then he can't hold a lead late in a game. Whats the difference. The only difference is that these come in the 7th and 8th instead of the 9th.

So what does that say about Scot Shields then? He's blown 18 saves the last 3 seasons or Linebrink who's blown 33 saves since joining the Padres or Joel Zumaya who's blown 9 over the past 2 seasons in 50 less innings than Bell?

13 blown saves over a 3 1/2 year span is actually a pretty low number.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
So what does that say about Scot Shields then? He's blown 18 saves the last 3 seasons or Linebrink who's blown 33 saves since joining the Padres or Joel Zumaya who's blown 9 over the past 2 seasons in 50 less innings than Bell?

13 blown saves over a 3 1/2 year span is actually a pretty low number.

According to BB-ref

Shields is 137/158 or 86.7%

Linebrink is 125/152 or 82.2% (discrepency from Kalapses numbers)

Zumaya is 41/50 or 82%

Depressing to read the Brooks Q&A on Sox site about their wonderful radio team. This team thinks so small. They are in the third largest media market in the country and they have to resort to someone who has no broadcast experience and an analyst who can't do play-by-play? And, coming off of a World Series win?

They owe fans more than someone who will grow into the job. I didn't buy the mlb package last year because I couldn't tolerate listening to those two. Farmer is OK with a good play-by-play guy like Rooney, but when he's the lead guy. Ugh.

Edited by Colorado Sox Fan

Brewers manager Ned Yost is asking NL Rookie of the Year Ryan Braun to take 1,000 groundballs per day this off-season. Maybe this will help Braun improve from his poor defensive year in 2007

Hopefully the sox have Josh taking as many ground balls as he can. They should invest in a trainer that can work with Josh in the offseason, and hit as many ground balls as you can. Work on drills such as coming in on the ball. I think with more and more ground balls and practice Josh can become a halfway decent 3rd Baseman.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 17, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
Hopefully the sox have Josh taking as many ground balls as he can. They should invest in a trainer that can work with Josh in the offseason, and hit as many ground balls as you can. Work on drills such as coming in on the ball. I think with more and more ground balls and practice Josh can become a halfway decent 3rd Baseman.

I think Josh's biggest problem is his glove work. He already is getting most of the balls, but whenever he gets them, usually when he reaches for the ball it pops out. I think Fields can be a very good third baseman if he can fix his glove work.

Oh yeah, he needs to work on being able to hit a fastball, and not chase high fastballs.

Edited by BearSox

The Trib article about Hunter, Uribe and the other topical discussions dropped an interesting tidbit near the bottom. Pablo Ozuna has been playing shortstop in the Dominican League. As I recall, he started as a shortstop. Seems like maybe they are seeing if he can be a backup there. Yet another indicator that Uribe is likely not long for the team.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
The Trib article about Hunter, Uribe and the other topical discussions dropped an interesting tidbit near the bottom. Pablo Ozuna has been playing shortstop in the Dominican League. As I recall, he started as a shortstop. Seems like maybe they are seeing if he can be a backup there. Yet another indicator that Uribe is likely not long for the team.

Ozuna is supposed to be one of the poorest defensive shortstops the minor leagues have ever seen.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)

He's been playing DH.

Karl (Chicago): Jim - what is your take on the Garland/Cabrera trade?

SportsNation Jim Callis: (2:08 PM ET ) Could work out for both clubs. Two solid big leaguers, not stars, capable of being complementary pieces on a contender (not that the White Sox will contend). Very curious that Chicago opted to take cash instead of a prospect back -- that system needs prospects.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
Not sure if this has been discussed on here, but KW said that he thinks his starting 5 will be Buehrle, Vaz, Contreras, Danks, and Floyd.

I could have told you that in late August. In fact, I probably did. And it's probably the right call...barring an amazing trade coming along. But you do have to keep the last 3 on a real short leash after April.

Makes you wonder if Braun was playing for the Sox making all those errors if Ozzie would bench him or convince KW he wasn't a good fit for the team.

I would disagree that can happen with Josh.

First of all they don't do that in the offseason. Secondly, you either got it or you don't.

Interesting stuff from the Reif

Egbert, 24, went 12-8 with a 3.06 ERA in being named a SL All-Star at Class AA Birmingham. He struck out 165 to rank second in the league. In the Arizona Fall League, Egbert went 1-0 with a 3.26 ERA and 17 strikeouts in 19.1 IP.

Former White Sox PR director, Paul Jensen, who served as the Fall League's PR maven, raved about Egbert yesterday when he and I attended our groundbreaking ceremony in Glendale.

glendalecomplex.JPG

glendalecomplex2.JPG

What are the odds of Brian Anderson starting for the Sox next year?

What are the odds of Anderson being a productive hitter in the bigs in the next five years?

You think he is another Borchard flameout type or a stud in the making?

I would say he ain't going to make it because of that horrible batting stance of his in which he appears

about as aggressive as a .190 hitting NL pitcher.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 12:32 AM)
What are the odds of Brian Anderson starting for the Sox next year?

What are the odds of Anderson being a productive hitter in the bigs in the next five years?

You think he is another Borchard flameout type or a stud in the making?

I would say he ain't going to make it because of that horrible batting stance of his in which he appears

about as aggressive as a .190 hitting NL pitcher.

1. 0%

2. 49%

3. No, but a flameout of different circumstances

He's a hard partier, he's apparently not real coachable, and he's got a f'ing ego (why, I have no idea). If the right team gets their hands on him, and they can teach him to be a good hitter, they'll have a steal on their hands. He does have Torii Hunter potential, but without hard work and coachability, he's a lost cause, plain and simple.

Metra has released their 2008 Program and Budget, including capital program projections. There is a little over $1M set aside in 2008 and a similar number in 2009 for the 35th Street station on the Rock Island line, which is an already-promised Congressional earmark. So the money is still there, and it looks like the station should open for 2009, as far as Metra is concerned.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
Metra has released their 2008 Program and Budget, including capital program projections. There is a little over $1M set aside in 2008 and a similar number in 2009 for the 35th Street station on the Rock Island line, which is an already-promised Congressional earmark. So the money is still there, and it looks like the station should open for 2009, as far as Metra is concerned.

I don't understand why this has taken like 4 years to accomplish. The train already goes right past it, all it would have to do is stop during baseball season.

QUOTE(SnB @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
I don't understand why this has taken like 4 years to accomplish. The train already goes right past it, all it would have to do is stop during baseball season.

Can't build a train station without all kinds of studies (are there enough passengers on enough runs to make it worth it? Will it improve the neighborhood, and/or overall ridership? What is the environmental impact?), analysis (where can a station be built? What can be fit there? How big a platform? How many trains should stop there? Do they put on extras for the game crowd?), public meetings... and the real killer - finding the money.