Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (backman @ Jan 27, 2009 -> 08:26 PM)
A Question about Doubt-

(I don’t know if this spoils it in any way-so if u didn’t see it and you want to don’t read this)

It begins by following a boy on his way to church, giving the impression that this boy is important to the story. Throughout the movie he is shown and is seemingly an active part of the plot or at least we are lead to believe he is. The movie comes to a close and it seems to end without tying the boy into the story. I don’t understand what separates him from the other children in the school, and I was wondering if I missed something or if the movie didn’t tie up this loose end.

Either way I would appreciate your take on this. Thanks

We're supposed to wonder about his relationship to the Priest.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
The Unborn

OdetteYustman.jpg

I have a killer fetus that kills people.

garyoldman.gif

Ahh dont worry I am a Rabbi who will give you a Jewish exorcism that ends the curse on yr families fetuses.

Auschwitz_web.jpg

I am Auschwitz, I was worked into the plot somehow.

northshore_james-remar.jpg

Ahhh just back from my business trip, I wonder whats happened here. OH NO DEXTER PUT AWAY THAT KNIFE NO.

hahahahaha

Is there a chance the Magneto prequel will be nominated for best movie of the year when it comes out? It takes place during the Holocaust, Sir Ian McKellan is gay and Magneto has never been seen with a woman, and he is discovering the effects of his body. Hmm, what else do we need? A musical number? A dead parent?

I have a film for bigsqwert, "The life of David Gale." I'm sorry bs, but I thought Kevin Spacey had the same similar extreme liberal viewpoints as you on the topic. Texsox would be interested in it as well because it takes place in Texas.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
I'm a sucker for movies like that for some reason. If anything, I just want to see how they CGI'd the Ice Age.

I enjoyed 10000 BC. I was very entertained throughout the whole movie.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 07:04 PM)
I have a film for bigsqwert, "The life of David Gale." I'm sorry bs, but I thought Kevin Spacey had the same similar extreme liberal viewpoints as you on the topic. Texsox would be interested in it as well because it takes place in Texas.

Huh? Where the heck did this come from?

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 05:31 PM)
Is there a chance the Magneto prequel will be nominated for best movie of the year when it comes out? It takes place during the Holocaust, Sir Ian McKellan is gay and Magneto has never been seen with a woman, and he is discovering the effects of his body. Hmm, what else do we need? A musical number? A dead parent?

Well, I see the criticisms of The Reader....not a great film, but good/solid.

The bar has been set pretty high by the likes of Schindler's List and Life is Beautiful among many.

McKellan already played a very gay man in a movie (Gods and Monsters?) and so I'm sure that won't help with the Academy. Plus there's the Brokeback Mountain backlash...maybe Milk will have a breakthrough, but mainstream Hollywood still prefers uplifting Slumdog stories, as long as they can still make the case they're recognizing/tolerant of superior movies with themes of homosexuality, lol.

If Magneto went through a body-altering/aging transformation like Benjamin Button, gained weight or lost it (Charlize Theron in Monster, Winslet aging in The Reader, Russell Crowe in The Insider or A Beautiful Mind)...maybe that would do the trick. But a cartoon/comic-themed movie has no chance if Wall-E didn't make the cut this year.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 28, 2009 -> 08:44 AM)
Last King of Scotland was an awesome flick.

I watched the first part of Che staring Benicio del Toro. Pretty well done movie. It didn't really go into his past at all, but pretty good none the less.

I hear part 1 is fantastic and part 2 absolutely blows.

How'd you watch just one part anyway?

Is this gonna play as one, four hour+ film at the show?

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 04:52 AM)
I hear part 1 is fantastic and part 2 absolutely blows.

How'd you watch just one part anyway?

Is this gonna play as one, four hour+ film at the show?

They split it up for distribution. Comcast has it on their on demand service for ~$7/part. I watched both parts and was bored to tears save for a moment near the end when Che has a conversation with a Bolivian officer.

QUOTE (onedude @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 07:47 PM)
LOL....they're in the process of rebooting the Tomb Raider franchise. My vote is the original Lara Croft, Rhona Mitra, to play the lead. I'll pass on the skin and bones Angelina Jolie.

How can you reboot something that's less than 10 years old?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 08:15 PM)
they are also looking to reboot The Crow, Predator, and also a prequel to The thing.

That one is gonna be hard. I don't think there is a middle ground...either they nail it or it'll be awful.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
That one is gonna be hard. I don't think there is a middle ground...either they nail it or it'll be awful.

I think my main problem is I know the story now and it is boring now to see a remake. The story never changes, they just move things around and alter the setting and circumstances.

Nothing will beat the original for me, I was completely naive to the story so it was good the first time. All of the sequels have been pretty brutal.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)
Only good part was the ending, IMO.

It was a very good premise. And yes, the ending was good. It was very much the opposite of what you'd expect out of Hollywood. I guess Stephen King wrote the ending differently, but really liked the director's idea for the end.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 08:24 PM)
It was a very good premise. And yes, the ending was good. It was very much the opposite of what you'd expect out of Hollywood. I guess Stephen King wrote the ending differently, but really liked the director's idea for the end.

The Stephen King book didnt really have an end.

They leave the town and just kind of fade away into the road not knowing where they were going

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 08:28 PM)
The Stephen King book didnt really have an end.

They leave the town and just kind of fade away into the road not knowing where they were going

Yeah, that's what Darabont said in the director's comments.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Jan 29, 2009 -> 08:44 PM)
Only good part was the ending, IMO.

That was one of the most screwed up endings I have ever seen. Thought it was a solid film, despite some of the characters being caricatures. I actually enjoyed just how weak of a leader Thomas Jane was in this movie. The guy wasn’t inspiring anyone, just surviving.