Kenny's Interesting Quote

bigruss

What do you guys think of this?

"I'll put it to you this way: There isn't one player out there that will be available that we will turn away from," Williams added. "If that player can help us, we're going to go down that road to see if the fit is there and the economics match."

source: whitesox.com

could it mean bonds is brought in?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
Yep, and when the economics don't match for any player that actually makes 10 million or more, we'll hear how they looked into it, but it wasn't a good fit.

There's many players on this team making more than $10 million. I don't that's the ceiling they're looking at if the player can produce.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
If Bonds comes in, I hope his tendons give and we're stuck paying him 15+ to sit on the DL.

I don't want any part of Bonds being on the White Sox. But if the Sox did bring him in, I would hope he hit 88 home runs and drove in 200 while playing a flawless LF. That's just me though. Maybe because I'm a Sox fan.

It is clear that if the Sox want to contend next year in the AL, we need a starting CF (starting caliber,) a shortstop, another starter and 2-3 solid bullpen arms. For all those needs and for those to be good players, it will cost upwards of $30 million dollars. With our payroll at nearly $100 million already, there is no way we can add on that much payroll. Don't be hopeful this off-season, Hunter is not coming to the Sox because he costs too much, Rowand might have played him out of the Sox's price range, so we will be left with Jerry Owens and Omar Vizquel, as the solutions.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
It is clear that if the Sox want to contend next year in the AL, we need a starting CF (starting caliber,) a shortstop, another starter and 2-3 solid bullpen arms. For all those needs and for those to be good players, it will cost upwards of $30 million dollars. With our payroll at nearly $100 million already, there is no way we can add on that much payroll. Don't be hopeful this off-season, Hunter is not coming to the Sox because he costs too much, Rowand might have played him out of the Sox's price range, so we will be left with Jerry Owens and Omar Vizquel, as the solutions.

To get my point out there, I dont want Bonds here. I think he is a sleazeball. Now if all we needed was a DH to be legit WS contenders, I would do it, but we need too much.

Im probably in the minority here, but I believe Owens could turn into a quality leadoff man, one who hits around .300 and steals atleast 50 bases. As for competing next year, I say we trade for furcal, plug him in #1, and put Owens in the #9 spot. You increase the teams overall speed, fill the leadoff spot, and save money in CF. I would much rather have Uribe than Vizquel, atleast Uribe has potential to be a good hitter, and he is still a good defensive shortstop.

Every time KW opens his mouth, especially when he says "we're fine with what we have", you have to ask yourself... why would he go out there and say "we're trading half the team"? All that would accomplish is put him in a weaker position of negotiation.

I'd be shocked if there weren't multiple big moves this offseason. Looking at the 2007 Opening Day roster, and comparing it to the 2008 one (once its done), I'd bet you will see 7 or 8 new faces.

I've said it before but I'm perfectly fine going into next season with Jenks, Mac, Thornton, Logan and Wasserman all in the pen. I don't like the other crap he said though, Kenny needs to get back to taking some huge risks this offseason if he really wants to contend next season.

A perfect move imo would still to bring in Bonds and trade Thome to bring in some young talent. Very gutsy every way you look at it but I think it makes a lot of sense. It wont happen but I wish it would.

Edited by Rowand44

Isn't it a very real possibility Wasserman is another Shingo, and gets lit up early and often next year? The guy has done a decent job, but when your delivery is really the biggest thing you bring to the table, you have to figure major league hitters will figure it out. I'm very worried KW is going with the attitude that all the players are going to bounce back and thinking all his young players will blossom next year. If thats the case, at least I won't have to have playoff money in by September.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 09:27 AM)
Every time KW opens his mouth, especially when he says "we're fine with what we have", you have to ask yourself... why would he go out there and say "we're trading half the team"? All that would accomplish is put him in a weaker position of negotiation.

I'd be shocked if there weren't multiple big moves this offseason. Looking at the 2007 Opening Day roster, and comparing it to the 2008 one (once its done), I'd bet you will see 7 or 8 new faces.

Well, to be totally fair...when you start with Hall, Owens, Fields, Wasserman, and Logan/Myers, you've got 5 of those new faces between the 2 opening days covered without making a single deal this offseason.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 10:29 AM)
Isn't it a very real possibility Wasserman is another Shingo, and gets lit up early and often next year? The guy has done a decent job, but when your delivery is really the biggest thing you bring to the table, you have to figure major league hitters will figure it out. I'm very worried KW is going with the attitude that all the players are going to bounce back and thinking all his young players will blossom next year. If thats the case, at least I won't have to have playoff money in by September.

Shingo was not "Figured out". Shingo couldn't throw the floater for a strike his 2nd year, so guys either just sat there and took a walk or waited on the 89 mph fastball.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)

Somewhere between K-Dubs comments and yours is reality. I think we'll see at least one of the "untouchables" touched to fill two holes. I don't see 7 or 8 new faces, four or five, including two or three starters max.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 12:29 PM)

Yes, especially when you consider that we're looking at a small sample size (just 23 innings) if we focus solely on his performance in the majors. I don't think it's an issue of him being figured out as much as it is that he just may not be as good as his brief major league success would indicate.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 04:08 PM)
Yes, especially when you consider that we're looking at a small sample size (just 23 innings) if we focus solely on his performance in the majors. I don't think it's an issue of him being figured out as much as it is that he just may not be as good as his brief major league success would indicate.

His minor league numbers have been impressive on every level. He might not have dominating stuff but he's been successful every where. He's earned a spot imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
Ozzie sure didn't rule it out.

Cause of KW. Ozzie was quoted before as saying he and the players have their respect for him and likewise and he has never dealt with anyone/player like Bonds before. He will have no say in it if KW (or even Jerry) brings him in if they feel he is that missing link to another W.S.