Kenny's Interesting Quote

bigruss

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now something that KW talked about that I am really worried about is bringing Juan Uribe back.

He thinks that's just because he has so much offensive potential, it's ok that his OPS has decreased over the past 3 seasons? He'd had a down year defensively, and I can't understand why you would want to pay $5M for someone with a terrible OBP and a high propensity to strike and can only hit around .230.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 11:34 PM)
Right now something that KW talked about that I am really worried about is bringing Juan Uribe back.

He thinks that's just because he has so much offensive potential, it's ok that his OPS has decreased over the past 3 seasons? He'd had a down year defensively, and I can't understand why you would want to pay $5M for someone with a terrible OBP and a high propensity to strike and can only hit around .230.

Because we don't know what our options are going to be. Are you going to drop his option during the last game of the season only to find out Eckstein wants 3 years $45 million. **** that, I'd gladly bring Uribe back. Not that that is going to be the likely scenerio, but he has to leave open the possibility of Uribe being an option.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 11:49 PM)
Haha, I'm trying. Nobody seems to want to make me a sig; I even provided the pic I want to use.

Everyone hates me.

My goodness, you've certainly inspired someone to get on the ball to make you one.

Lol - no one hates you, but man, that's just gross.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)
Because we don't know what our options are going to be. Are you going to drop his option during the last game of the season only to find out Eckstein wants 3 years $45 million. **** that, I'd gladly bring Uribe back. Not that that is going to be the likely scenerio, but he has to leave open the possibility of Uribe being an option.

Well it really comes down to what it was last year. This is a general question, were you part of the crowd that wanted to get rid of Scott Podsednik no matter what after last year, or did you want to get keep him because you didn't feel justified in paying anyone else the big bucks?

Personally I rather get rid of Uribe unless Vizquel is brought in.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 06:34 PM)

His down year defensively still netted him second in the AL in fielding pct. at SS according to the USCF scoreboard,and he has lots of range. Uribe is going to have a big year some year offensively I just know it. The problem is I have no idea when, I was hoping 2007, and if he's just his usual self he doesn't get on base enough and if you are going to have Richar and Fields and to a certain extent Crede in the line-up, it could be really taxing on the offense. The question probably will be does the upgrade on his replacement's OBP compared to his justify the almost certain downgrade in defense, not to mention cost. I'm known as a negative on this board, but 2 guys I have always stuck with are Contreras and Uribe. Right now, I would trade Contreras if some team ate the entire contract, nothing less, and I would only cut Uribe loose if it was a true upgrade at the position. Someone like Renteria or Furcal or Tejada. No way I would replace him with Vizquel or Eckstein.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
You keep Uribe if you can upgrade the offensive player in CF and 2b.

I agree. The options FA and in-house options for SS are weak and bad. If the Sox could rip up Uribe's option year and pay him $2M or $3M for next season, that'd be OK if the OF is filled with bats that project to .800+ OPS and someone like Loretta is brought in to backup/replace Richar & Crede should either suck.

Bringning back Uribe isn't a good move, but it's a better move than giving Eckstein $21M for 3 years

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
I agree. The options FA and in-house options for SS are weak and bad. If the Sox could rip up Uribe's option year and pay him $2M or $3M for next season, that'd be OK if the OF is filled with bats that project to .800+ OPS and someone like Loretta is brought in to backup/replace Richar & Crede should either suck.

Bringning back Uribe isn't a good move, but it's a better move than giving Eckstein $21M for 3 years

Well, KW already hinted in the interview this morning that he will probably bring Uribe back, but who knows how he'll feel a month or two from now.

Williams ruled out finding a reliever in free agency because there are slim pickings this offseason. That means the trade route for bullpen help.

He also hinted that Uribe's five million option will be picked up, whether people like it or not.

''I traded for [uribe] four years ago because we needed someone to catch the ball in the middle of the infield and not too many people do it better than Juan Uribe,'' Williams said. ''Is he a little frustrating sometimes at the plate with some of the inconsistencies? Absolutely, but only because you see so much talent in there. Juan Uribe is not our problem.''

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 1, 2007 -> 02:22 AM)
AAA, but that's only if you're trying to win the division.

I think you're expecting too much from second base. Dan Szymborski has the average second baseman hitting .276/.331/.411 -- Richar, in his first taste of big league action was right there slugging percentage-wise but a ways off in the OBP department. I guess I can understand your comment if you expect absolutely no improvement from Richar, but I do, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Richar match that .740 OPS (something like .250/.310/.430).

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
He was talking about ARod. We are getting ARod, unless he stays with the Yankees. If he ends up somewhere beside the Yankees and it's not on the South Side, I will be extremely ticked off at Mr. Williams.

So you really want to spend $30+ mill a year on ARod? Really???

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 12:29 PM)
Isn't it a very real possibility Wasserman is another Shingo, and gets lit up early and often next year? The guy has done a decent job, but when your delivery is really the biggest thing you bring to the table, you have to figure major league hitters will figure it out. I'm very worried KW is going with the attitude that all the players are going to bounce back and thinking all his young players will blossom next year. If thats the case, at least I won't have to have playoff money in by September.

Ah, always looking for the rainclouds in a sunny sky...

Personally I think Ehren will be a niche pitcher for the Sox. There is a place for these kind of guys because not many guys come from these angles. Its unnatural really. Plus if the Sox do indeed keep the core of fastball pitchers, it really presents a much different look and tilt out of the bullpen versus anyone else they are seeing. I like the idea of them keeping one of Haegar or Wasserman if they are going to go with a pen full of fastballs. It gives the hitters something else to think about, and gives them a different look.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2007 -> 11:08 PM)
So you really want to spend $30+ mill a year on ARod? Really???

I don't know if it is the right thing to do or not, but keep in mind that Kenny Williams has tried 3 times to get Alex on the southside. He tried to sign him as a free agent. He tried to get him when the Yankees traded for him, and he spent a night at last years GM meetings trying to convince Cashman to trade him. We all know when Kenny wants someone, he goes after them, and he doesn't stop until he gets them.