Torii Hunter

Allsox

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
Do they give you a .350 OBP for example?

Owens put up a .326 OBP against righties last year and a lower number versus lefties. Of course, that's including his terrible first stint with the club, which most people, including me, are giving him a break for. Someoen would have to go into the MLB double splits to get his 2nd half numbers against lefties; i'll bet they're not terribly bad.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:16 PM)
Just FWIW, someone a few posts ago used a Owens / Ozuna platoon for a leadoff hitter.

Just what were the splits for Pablo against LHP in 2006

Pablo .322/.358/.469 .827 OPS against LHP

Careerwise he's .307 avg .750 OPS he aint gonna walk much

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)
The other thing is supposedly Baltimore is discussing a Bedard/Kemp deal with LA. KW has been after Bedard for years. Is LA trying to get him for KW?

I think it's more that LA has deemed Bedard a higher priority than MCabrera. I also was told by a fairly decent source that the Angels could complete a trade with Florida for MCabrera and announce it as early as Wednesday. Supposedly, it's pretty much a done deal at this point...

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
PK to Arizona makes sense for Arizona. I couldn't help but laugh at Arizona's anemic lineup during the playoffs. On the other hand, I don't know how much sense Arizona makes as a trading partner for the White Sox unless there's a 3rd team involved.

I think they make a good amount of sense. They have a good young replacement 1B in Jackson, they have a plethora of quality OF, and they have a few pen arms that we could use.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
I think they make a good amount of sense. They have a good young replacement 1B in Jackson, they have a plethora of quality OF, and they have a few pen arms that we could use.

I was just assuming they would like to get Jackson and Konerko in their lineup at the same time, otherwise how much net improvement are they getting? I could be wrong in thinking they gave Jackson a couple of opportunities to play OF, and if he's strictly a 1B, then he'd obviously be the main guy coming back which would be good for the Sox.

Who are their "quality OF" guys? Are you talking about Carlos Quentin? I thought he was coming off some disappointing seasons.

Also, I was thinking our leadoff hitter would have to come from LF, so I don't know if we can get that player from Arizona. Then again, Arizona does have Orlando Hudson. Hmmmm...

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 07:27 PM)
Maybe they trade Konerko to Arizona. They have a ton of nice prospects and some cheap young players. If KW is really going for it, and all indications are he is, Jerry Owens is not going to lead off.

I completely agree. If the Sox sign a big name FA that will tell me right now that they also have plans to acquire someone to play left field and leadoff with Fields sliding to 3rd and Crede heading out (either for a bullpen arm of in a package along with some prospects for the leadoff hitter). The only remaining question will be whether he really is that confident in his young starters of if he will also make a move for a starting pitcher (or if he will end up jumping on someone like Colon).

I also must say if he did upgrade the leadoff spot and brought in one of Rowand/Hunter/Jones plus made a move in the pen that this team would be on paper very strong (the only question being the rotation and with one more move you could still have a relatively strong rotation).

I am officially down as wanting and hoping that the Sox get Hunter. Hunter and OC are good baseball players and are fun to watch. I was so freaking sick of the garbage I saw last year and I know with those two here we won't see that sort of play. I have no idea what happens to other guys but I can tell you one thing (and it is a common theme in the Ken Williams era) and thats that I am freaking offically stoked about the off-season.

I am getting intrigued with what they could do for Uribe and I'm still holding out some sort of hope that Kenny will find a way to move Contreras contract and get back another good starting pitcher that they can pencil in behind Vaz/Buerhle. Basically put it seems like CF, LF (and the leadoff spot) are two moves that will for sure be made plus you have the Joe Crede deal that seems 99.9% will happen along with a move for the pen (which may happen in the Crede deal). Plus you have the possibility of a Contreras deal or a MacDougall/Thornton type deal and than the wildcard of a Paulie deal.

All in all I guarantee at least 3 more big moves out of the Sox (one being the signing of a CFer...I just hope it is one of the big 3).

Me too, i might be getting my hopes up too much. Having a long term CF and RF for a couple years can give us some time to build up our OF prospects again. Also, has there been any said rumors about us looking into shannon stewart or is it just us looking for a good fit?

Hunter refutes Sun-Times report

11/20/2007 12:55 AM ET

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Torii Hunter's affinity for all things White Sox has been well documented over the past few months, from the impressive condition of U.S. Cellular Field's playing field to the ballpark's leaping-friendly outfield fence to working for manager Ozzie Guillen.

But reports out of Chicago that Hunter could soon make Chicago his home as the team's marquee free-agent acquisition might be a bit premature. Citing sources from both the White Sox and from Hunter's camp, the Sun-Times reported on Monday that the two sides could be signing a contract within the week.

Hunter didn't exactly second that notion in a text message to MLB.com late Monday night.

"Not true," said the affable All-Star when asked to confirm Monday's news.

Just because Hunter didn't acknowledge an impending deal with the White Sox doesn't mean he couldn't eventually wind up on the South Side for the next five years or so. The Sun-Times mentioned that Hunter had met with the White Sox twice over the past two weeks, getting the financial parameters for a deal during the second meeting.

Monday's acquisition of shortstop Orlando Cabrera continued general manager Ken Williams' quest to build a World Series contender immediately in 2008 through the addition of quality players who fit well with one another as a team, a process that began with the in-season signing of such key returning players as Mark Buehrle, Jermaine Dye and A.J. Pierzynski. It also was a move that freed up potential money that could be put toward Hunter, a signing that would further strengthen the White Sox up the middle.

Though Williams sounded hopeful that the Cabrera acquisition could be just the first major move for his team this week, let alone this entire offseason, he could not provide a definitive answer when asked if another move was on the immediate horizon.

"I wish I could, but this free-agent process is a tricky thing," said Williams during a Monday afternoon conference call. "We have to continue down some in-roads we made, some very positive in-roads. All I can tell you is we will continue to be out there, pounding the pavement and make things happen.

"With regards to Torii or any other free agent, I've learned -- with all due respect -- that the things you talk about the most are the things that are less likely to happen," added Williams during a Monday evening phone interview with Comcast SportsNet. "I would ... not talk about free agents until it's time."

A meeting with Hunter and Texas general manager Jon Daniels took place at the home of Rangers owner Tom Hicks on Monday night. The Sun-Times article referred to a source stating the climate was right for Hunter to sign soon with the White Sox unless another team comes in and blows away Hunter with an offer.

And judging the tenor of Daniels' e-mail following Monday's meeting, he sounds as if there's hope that team could be Texas.

"It was a good night -- talked baseball and continued to get a feel for each other," wrote Daniels in the e-mail. "I expect both sides will take some time over the holiday, and revisit things afterward.

"In the meantime, [Hunter's agent] Larry [Reynolds] and Torii are going through their process and we're continuing to look at all ways to improve the organization," Daniels added.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...7&fext=.jsp

Edited by Linnwood

If the Sox sign Hunter after having adding Cabrera I am very excited about the early impact during the offseason. Both Cabrera and Hunter are superior fielders, good hitters , have speed and both are good clubhouse guys.

If you've ever seen Hunter on Best Damn Sports Show he has personality galore and a good sense of humor and the same is being said about Cabrera.

Personally I think Paulie may be next to go. Seems the emphasis this offseason is on defense ,speed, and surprisingly a looser clubhouse. My feeling is it's possible that we keep both Crede and Fields. Keeping the superior D of Crede at 3rd and possibly moving Fields to 1st base though within the organization we haven't heard of Fields playing 1st.

Paulie could possibly net us a left fielder/ leadoff hitter though my feeling is with a somewhat expanded payroll youth may be served with Owens ,Fields, Richar, and starting pitching. Maybe Paulie could bring a top notch reliever and a top prospect or a SP , reliever and B level prospect.

I think Kenny is trying to find guys this offseason with proven track records so the likelihood of signing Japanese relievers will be a last resort since Kenny's admitted he's having a hard time finding teams willing to trade quality relievers.

Here's just a blurb from a Chicago Sports article.

In the meantime, Williams will attempt to make the roster more attractive to Hunter.

"All I can tell you is we'll continue to be out there pounding the pavement, trying to make things happen," Williams said.

I think the Hunter deal will take some time. Hunter is going to want to see which team will be truly competitive next season. It might take another move or two before he is ready to sign. The question is, how long will he wait? I'm sure Williams wants this done before the Winter Meetings and he's obviously working fast.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 07:53 PM)
Yes, they do. KW said that Guillen might, on occasion depending on matchups, put Orlando Cabrera in the leadoff spot but quickly added Cabrera fills the #2 hole.

If you look at the positions, the only spot is LF for a leadoff guy. Guillen kept talking about a guy who gets on base. They have two possibiities on the roster who can play LF and have led off, those being Ozuna and Owens. On the surface, that's a platoon but neither of those two are particularly high on base guys. Owens might improve in that area.

However I see them aiming higher. I also believe Owens has a spot but not as a starter, rather as a backup. He can be valuable in that role.

A guy with speed at the top is a plus but if you can't get that (a 50+ stolen base guy, a burner), then you look at a good contact hitter with a great batting eye who's also a proficient baserunner. Who is out there?

Shannon Stewart, do not know if Catalanatto is available, one poster here mentioned some of Toronto's guys, etc. Again if you can't get the speed merchant then a good hitter who has good AB's and is .360+ on base is the next best thing.

As for Podsednik ... I would be shocked if his time here isn't over.

Don't forget all the rumors of Coco Crisp. Still maybe something there, although that will not come for Crede. Love the catalanatto idea, but I think he is signed for this year, it would take a trade for sure.

Here's just a blurb from a Chicago Sports article.

I think the Hunter deal will take some time. Hunter is going to want to see which team will be truly competitive next season. It might take another move or two before he is ready to sign. The question is, how long will he wait? I'm sure Williams wants this done before the Winter Meetings and he's obviously working fast.

If by some time you mean by next Monday you would be correct. They will announce the Torii Hunter signing Monday or sooner. Book it.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:38 AM)
If by some time you mean by next Monday you would be correct. They will announce the Torii Hunter signing Monday or sooner. Book it.

I think Hunter will wait longer to see what the Sox do. I wouldn't be shocked if you were right, but I doubt it'll happen that quickly. I think there will be another move before Hunter signs.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 08:13 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox01.article

Would love to see Torii robbing HRs for us instead of from us! Better track record than the PA$$ION (Rowand) and at least CF won't be a gaping hole like it has been the last 2 yrs.

You can worry about the $$. You need to worry about what your team is going to be like if he is here and trust KW and JR will take care of the $ aspect so that team is still well off. Its hard to sit here as a fan and say I want him at 5/75 but not 6/90, of course thats true, but you have to think about it is in a white sox uniform or not, period. At this point in a white sox uniform is just a huge upgrade to this lineup and defense and thats all that matters right now. If the sox spend $15 mil on Hunter and are raising payroll $30 mil they still have plenty to spend on pitching, etc. You just dont know so you can turn the guy away by defaults of money.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 08:50 AM)
Probably because you are a pessimist. I am telling you it is done. Believe it or not, we already have him. They are just waiting to announce it.

Then why was Hunter at the Hicks residence last nice enjoying a nice dinner, conversation and talks of baseball.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
Let me dream here....

1) Owens, LF

2) O. Cabrera, SS

3) Konerko, 1B

4) Thome, DH

5) Dye, RF

6) Hunter, CF

7) Crede/Fields, 3B

8) Pierzynski, C

9) Richar, 2B

DAMN!!!

Yep, still looks like a 3rd place AL Central team.