KW

Soxfest

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
Sounds to me like Crede is already traded.

I completely agree with this. I'll be surprised if he's with the organization at this point next week. Hopefully he's traded for Pat Burrell or Damon, and not some AAAA pitcher.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
I completely agree with this. I'll be surprised if he's with the organization at this point next week. Hopefully he's traded for Pat Burrell or Damon, and not some AAAA pitcher.

Getting Damon and then hopefully signing Hunter...that would be a solid outfield. If they could do that, and then somehow replace Uribe with a half-decent hitting SS, the offense and defense should be good. The infield defense would suffer, while the outfield defense would get a huge boost.

But, then we'd have to worry about our pitching staff. That's going to be a tough one, ha.

What's the consensus on trading Crede, are people for it or against it?

I don't know if I like it, he's been with the team for a while now, so personally I'd hate to see him go, but if this trade helps out this team, then I'd be more apt to agree on the trade. If these are Crede's last days here, then I have to say I appreciate everything he's done for this team, his clutch hitting at the end, his great defense, and his power numbers.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)

I agree that it shouldn't be for a AAAA pitcher (or rather a A Ball pitcher), but Damon has lost a lot of bat speed and I don't know if I want him here. If the Yankees pick up some of that contract, now thats a different story.

Did someone say Pat Burrell? Why the heck would we want another feat-or-famine, HR-or-K guy in this lineup? Enough already. Damon I can live with, but only if (as someone else suggested) the Yankees help with the contract.

To be honest, I want a young CF of the future. The Mets will be in the market for a SP - probably setting their sights on Santana, but maybe willing to settle for Garland if they can't work it out. Go get Milledge.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 01:57 AM)
Did someone say Pat Burrell? Why the heck would we want another feat-or-famine, HR-or-K guy in this lineup? Enough already. Damon I can live with, but only if (as someone else suggested) the Yankees help with the contract.

To be honest, I want a young CF of the future. The Mets will be in the market for a SP - probably setting their sights on Santana, but maybe willing to settle for Garland if they can't work it out. Go get Milledge.

Yeah, Burrell and his fantastic OBP would just be disasterous.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 09:00 PM)
Yeah, Burrell and his fantastic OBP would just be disasterous.

and he'd probably be a Type A at the end of next season... So assuming you're trading Crede for Burrell straight up, you're getting burrell for a year plus 2 pick sin the following season for one season of Joe Crede. Sounds good to me.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 02:03 AM)
and he'd probably be a Type A at the end of next season... So assuming you're trading Crede for Burrell straight up, you're getting burrell for a year plus 2 pick sin the following season for one season of Joe Crede. Sounds good to me.

But since he can't bunt or run well, he'd be a cancer on the team.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 09:03 PM)

Or Burrell would be one of the top available bats at the deadline as we likely won't be in contention.

With A-Rod most likely heading West (Dodgers or Angels) and with the Yankees having 4 outfielders (Cabrera, Damon, Abreu and Matsui) it only makes sense for a deal with the yankees to happen. I think Jonny Damon will be a southsider next week. The Yankees have already contacted KW about Crede.. and with KW saying that the Fields/Crede issue will be resolved very soon, it sounds to me that a deal has already been done. I hope the Yankees eat about 1/4th the remaining contract, not like they can't afford it with A-Rod leaving. If we get him, where would he play? God I hope LF, his arm just isn't good! An outfield of Damon, Hunter/Rowand and Dye wouldn't be too bad. You have Owens coming off the bench as the 4th OF.. I know im getting ahead of myself but i think this just may work!

P.S. Didn't Damon go to high school with AJ?

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
I'd take a whole lineup of Burrells.

I wouldn't. That team would go absolutely nowhere. You'd have a guy with decent power and a great OBP who can't hit for an average, is horrid defensively, and can't run the bases. Oh yes, please get me a one dimensional OBP player.

I'm not saying I don't like the idea of Burrell but it doesn't make much sense to me given the Sox needs (ie a legitimate 1-2 hitter to have in front of Dye/Paulie/Thome). Those three guys aren't going anywhere or at least it wouldn't appear they are so the Sox really don't need to go out and spend a bunch of there available funds on someone like Burrell for a year (like I said the logic of a Crede for Burrell deal is a winning deal for the Sox but Burrell isn't what the Sox need to win).

The Sox need some younger players that will get better, play great defense, provide speed, and get on base at the top of the order. Get me some a solid core of baseball players and I'll be happy. Don't give me these guys with cherry picked stats that make them sound way better than they are (not really slamming Burrell as he's a decent player, hell realistically his stats don't differ much from Paulie's career stats).

Give me complete all around players (not superstars, just complete players as I feel the Sox have enough pop...could they use more sure, but first they need to solidify CF and SS and the 1/2 spots in the order with Richar handling the 9 spot and Fields at 3rd or LF). If Fields is at 3rd than the club can opt to go after another power bat (preferably a lefty imo) for left or target a guy that is in a tough spot and use him in LF with a Mack or so as the backup (whose definitely capable of playing LF at a decent level for a full season).

I also think KW has a deal that's almost done. It sounds like the players might be decided upon but some details still need to be hammered out [like money coming back to the sox in a Crede-Damon deal]. Why else would KW be so obvious, he has no reason to play coy or hint about a deal?

Also, if the sox are going to add a Type A free agent [like Hunter or Rowand] this is the year to do it. The sox only stand to lose a 2nd rd pick rather than a 1st round pick in the draft. Seeing how the sox haven't pick lower than this in years, and they'd lose a higher pick then, this chance to pick this low and still sign a FA may not [hopefully] come around often.

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
I also think KW has a deal that's almost done. It sounds like the players might be decided upon but some details still need to be hammered out [like money coming back to the sox in a Crede-Damon deal]. Why else would KW be so obvious, he has no reason to play coy or hint about a deal?

Exactly.. maybe he's just really excited about it haha. I just hope it isn't like the Omar Vizquel situation.. many sources had him signed with the Sox and all of a sudden he went to the Giants. BTW thank you Omar.. if that never happened... well you know.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 4, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)
I'd love to land Damon. I'll take Burrell as well but I'd be so freakin happy to land a legit leadoff hitter with out trading away one of our pitchers.

Don't people realize that Damon's skills are diminishing? Like Kenny, many of us don't realize that star players like this are not what they once were, often have large contracts that diminsh payroll felxibility, and spend lots of time on the DL.

NO THANKS!!!!

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)

Yes I agree-the Yanks are definatly anxious to fill 3B to make a statement to Bora$$-and nostayRod.