Another steroid user exposed...

fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 09:21 AM)
I wonder if there's 100 pct correlation between guys who have been busted for corking their bats and guys who took steroids.

In all seriousness, if a person lacks the moral compass to stop them from cheating in one form, why would they have the moral compass not to cheat in another form? It doesn't surprise me at all that juicers would also cork bats, or cheat in any other way they could think of.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 11:03 AM)
I'd love to say that Selig will take some steps when the Mitchell report comes out and names names. I just don't have enough confidence to say that for sure though.

Selig needs to go. We need a new Kennesaw Mountain Landis-type character at this stage. Someone not afraid to kick a few asses.

Here is a question - how does Selig lose his job? Can the owners fire him with a majority or something? How does that even work?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
Selig needs to go. We need a new Kennesaw Mountain Landis-type character at this stage. Someone not afraid to kick a few asses.

Here is a question - how does Selig lose his job? Can the owners fire him with a majority or something? How does that even work?

Theoretically 3/4s of the owners could vote him out.

In reality, Selig is one of the owners own, and there is no chance he leaves before he wants to do so.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)

It would take 3/4s of owners voting to remove him.

For now I'll just stick this in this thread:

Twenty months into his investigation of steroid use in Major League Baseball, former Sen. George Mitchell for the first time has obtained voluntary cooperation from an active player.

According to a source familiar with the investigation, the player, whom the source did not name, volunteered to speak with Mitchell in the coming weeks, ending the wall of silence Mitchell had encountered in trying to get active players to cooperate without the leverage of subpoena power.

The source described the player as one of several players Mitchell wanted to question because of their previous public comments opposing steroid use, not because the player was connected to any steroid use of his own. The source said the interview with the player was scheduled to take place "very soon."

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 08:45 PM)
I wonder how many A's from that time frame were on the stuff. There are so many connections with them from the early days of McGwire and Canseco, to Giambi, Tejada, etc, and now Guillen.

A lot of Giants too.

Williams, Bonds, Kent...? :huh

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 09:05 PM)
Maybe it'll be Frank Thomas? Doubt it.

What?

EDIT: My bad, I didn't really read the article and I just thought you were suspecting Frank out of nowhere haha. My apologies.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 07:05 PM)
Oh my, Schilling? That's my first reaction, and while I love me some Schilling, I have always said he should man up and name some names if he really is opposed. Maybe it'll be Frank Thomas? Doubt it. We'll have to wait and see but that's very, very interesting.

At least from the description gave, it does sound like Thomas...person not suspected of juicing but outspoken on the issue. Probably wouldn't surprise me at all if Mitchell wanted to know if Thomas would pass along anything he'd heard back in the day.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 10:39 PM)
And Matt Williams, next to Brady Anderson and obviously Bonds and Sosa, was THE most obvious juicer, so this is no surprise.

Matt Williams used to be on a radio show here in Phoenix quite a bit a couple of years ago (once a week, I think, for a couple hours), and he was a typical apologist for the players regarding steroid use. His general stance was that he didn't really know of anyone who used, didn't condone it, didn't think it would help you hit a 95mph fastball, Barry Bonds worked harder than anyone, etc.

Rob Dibble used to say the same stuff when he was on the Dan Patrick show a few years ago.

The whole thing about steroids not helping you hit the ball is such double talk. Nobody says that it does help you hit the ball (though I've seen and heard reports that HGH improves eyesight and hand/eye coordination). Steroids - and similar strength enhancers - give you added strength. So, the ball, when hit, goes farther. Say, for instance, taking steroids increased your power, and the ball, when hit, traveled 5% farther as a result of the added strength. Now, instead of having an easy 390 flyout to center field, the ball travels 410 feet. Is it unreasonable to think that's what happens when a player is "juiced?" An easy flyout becomes a homerun. Just use Barry Bonds as an example. Before 2001, he hit something like 3 HRs more than 450ft in his career. From 2001 on he's hit about 30 HRs more than 450ft. Coincidently, he has morphed from 200lb to 250lbs in that time.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 11:00 PM)
The whole thing about steroids not helping you hit the ball is such double talk. Nobody says that it does help you hit the ball (though I've seen and heard reports that HGH improves eyesight and hand/eye coordination). Steroids - and similar strength enhancers - give you added strength. So, the ball, when hit, goes farther. Say, for instance, taking steroids increased your power, and the ball, when hit, traveled 5% farther as a result of the added strength. Now, instead of having an easy 390 flyout to center field, the ball travels 410 feet. Is it unreasonable to think that's what happens when a player is "juiced?" An easy flyout becomes a homerun. Just use Barry Bonds as an example. Before 2001, he hit something like 3 HRs more than 450ft in his career. From 2001 on he's hit about 30 HRs more than 450ft. Coincidently, he has morphed from 200lb to 250lbs in that time.

One of the biggest benefits for these guys who play 162 games a year is that the drugs help with your recovery time. I dont know if you or anyone has ever played in a very strenuous schedule like these guys do, but your body gets extremely sore, you get very simple injuries that linger, and you lose strength and stamina throughout each long stretch. Some steroids and HGH will help your body recover from the injuries faster and will keep your body in tune better. Hence some very consistently good seasons.