Lets Give Floyd a Standing Ovation

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 7, 2008 -> 04:51 AM)
Great game Gavin. Made it look easy out there tonight. Have to give Williams credit for having so much faith in him.

Not to be Fathom-esc here, :lol: :lol: , but Roto brought up the stat tonight that the Sox are turning 85% of the balls put in play by Floyd into outs. He needs to start getting some K's.

Could you imagine the Twins fans complaining about the pop ups tonight by their hitters?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of the reason Gavin has been doing better is that he has been pitching to contact and at the same time not giving in and throwing a pitch down the middle.

Not many balls were hard hit, and as long as thats the case they can keep putting them in play.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
Don't forget that this umpire had a very small zone, which made the outing even more special.

He wasn't throwing all that hard. The board at the game had him 90-91. He wasn't striking many out. I'm not a big believer in him, but he was great tonight. They didn't hit many solid. I hope he can keep it up.

Back from the game. Awesome stuff. Its really amazing to me how well Floyd and Danks, and even Contreras, are pitching so far in 2008. Those three were my biggest worry (little did I know what the real problems would be). I don't think even the biggest Gavin fans expected him to be THIS good early in the season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 6, 2008 -> 09:40 PM)
Because its a baseball no-no to change the defense when theres a no-hitter in the 9th like that. You just dont change the team on the field. Pretty basic baseball concept.

Oh really why don't you check the box score from April 18, 2007

/Conan [ASS] stamp

I am glad for the great outing and all... but I am extremely pissed that Floyd was actually taken out of that game. What f***ing bulls***. So f***ing what, llet him get the complete game. I remember hearing all this crap about Ozzie letting his pitchers go long into games and such, but so far this year, he has taken the ball out of the pitchers hand soooo many times.

This is just one of my pet-peeves, and it pisses me off so much. f***ing BS that Floyd didn't get the CG tonight.

QUOTE (3E8 @ May 6, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
Oh really why don't you check the box score from April 18, 2007

/Conan [ASS] stamp

I have compiled a small list of managers who have broken the suddenly widely known 9th inning defensive replacement unwritten rule (this is just the NINTH inning rule, the list of managers whom have broken the EIGHTH inning rule is much larger):

Joe Girardi 2006

Tony LaRussa 1999

Jim Leyland 1997

John McNamara 1984

Steve Boros 1983

Tommy Lasorda 1980

TOMMY LASORDA HATES BASEBALL TRADITION!!!!!!!!!

And to think I thought our offense would be strong and that Danks, Floyd, and Contreras would likely be a weakness (knock on wood). Hopefully the latter three continue to prove me wrong and the bats can get something going. Floyd has been terrific thus far, hope he keeps it up.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 6, 2008 -> 11:30 PM)
Kalapse,

I assume that is only the list of managers who did it successfully? Or is that the list including games where the no no was broken in the 9th? Because that last stat is probably harder to find.

Those are just the successful no-hit bids. A list that includes no hitters that were broken up in the 9th would require a bit more work than I'm willing to put into this right now.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 7, 2008 -> 12:36 AM)
Your answer was good enough for me. It just proves that there have in fact been successful no hitters when a defensive replacement was used.

There have also been successful no-hitters where a player or fan has said "No Hitter" during the game. Yes, it's actually true. BELIEVE IT.

;)

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 6, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
Gavin! :cheers :headbang He's been amazing all year. Nice to actually have a couple big time prospects in Gavin and CQ coming through for the organization. Especially with our farm system right now.

That's because KW is a genius, didn't you know? this board has been saying so for like at least 10 hours now :D :D :unsure:

I've seen many a pitcher start hot. I've seen many a former top prospect get hot at certain times, ignite the excitement and then fall back down to Earth.

I am here to say that, what I see in Gavin stemming all the way back to the end of last year, is that he's turned the corner. A former top prospect picked 4th overall by the Phillies, was a complete steal in the Freddy Garcia trade. KW won this one, and may very well have given us our future ace.

Regardless, I do think the pitching will be there this year. If the hitting can get any consistency going, the Sox actually have a shot in this thing.

Thank you, Gavin, for taking our minds off losing, blow up dolls, and cursing managers. I tip my cap to you. :cheers

Edited by Steve9347

Great job Gavin. Glad to see him overcome adversity and have his hard work pay off.

AHEM

As for Anderson being out there in the 9th. I think it's a no brainer. Not that he would have made that catch...It would have been possible, but not probable. Either way...regardless of this game....I'm still baffled as to why Oz doesn't sub for JD in close games...or in this case a no no. IMO...There isn't a much better defensive outfield in baseball than Swish, BA, Q. So in close games that should be the 7,8,9. Now if there was some superstitious reason...then fine. I don't believe in that s***, but I can understand some do. Since Oz did sub BA in the 8th of MB's no no...I'm not sure he believes in it either.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2008 -> 08:55 AM)
Yeah, I think there is going to be some post editing going on in that thread!

Yeah, this is my favorite!

I will go on record that there's no way he has an ERA better than 5.00 this season. If he makes a minimum of 10 starts, and has an ERA better than 5.00, I will never post on this site again.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 7, 2008 -> 07:18 AM)
I've seen many a pitcher start hot. I've seen many a former top prospect get hot at certain times, ignite the excitement and then fall back down to Earth.

I am here to say that, what I see in Gavin stemming all the way back to the end of last year, is that he's turned the corner. A former top prospect picked 4th overall by the Phillies, was a complete steal in the Freddy Garcia trade. KW won this one, and may very well have given us our future ace.

Regardless, I do think the pitching will be there this year. If the hitting can get any consistency going, the Sox actually have a shot in this thing.

Thank you, Gavin, for taking our minds off losing, blow up dolls, and cursing managers. I tip my cap to you. :cheers

I'm a little worried about him because of the walks, and that absurdly low BABIP. I don't think his current success is sustainable over the course of the entire year, especially in the warm summer months, and as the innings pile up on his arm.

Then again, I'd be happy if he could give us 5 IP 3 ER in every start, and I don't see him falling below that with regularity this season.

I don't see him being an "ace," but I certainly think he could be a solid #3.