Bulls do not hire Doug Collins as head coach

Doug Collins is a GREAT choice, especially for a team very much in-flux. I think DC has shades of Scott Skiles to him, but is probably a better communicator.

He should bring back the Jerry curl he was sporting back in the 80's.

Edit: I think it says something that MJ chose Collins to coach the Wiz during his 8th comeback... obviously some respect there. Something to consider, even though things didn't go so well.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, the Bulls and Collins are both issuing denials.

"I have spoken with Bulls management recently about their head coaching vacancy and will resume conversations after the conclusion of my work for TNT in the Western Conference finals," Collins said in a statement from Los Angeles, where he was to work Game 5 of the Spurs-Lakers series. "There is no agreement in place."

"I have been in contact with Doug Collins in regard to our head coaching position. Contrary to some reports that are currently out there, we have not reached an agreement," Bulls general manager John Paxson said in a statement posted on the team's Web site.

"Right now, his commitment is covering the Western Conference finals for TNT. When that series concludes, we will continue our dialogue. In the meantime, I will continue to talk to other candidates and review our options."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 29, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
If Collins is the hire, here's Hollinger's argument as to why it's a poor fit.

I agree on most of the article. However, Hollinger actually tried to make an argument that rookie Will Perdue (at the time) deserved more than 190 minutes in a season? lol . Of course he did not mention how collins handled a young Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant.

I honestly have no idea what to think of this signing. I'm not old enough to remember him coaching the Bulls, all I remember about him in Detroit was Grant Hill was great for him, and then in Washington everybody knows it was M.J. running the show. His coaching resume is pretty damn good though, and I love his work on TNT, so I'm optimistic, but unsure overall.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 29, 2008 -> 10:16 PM)
I honestly have no idea what to think of this signing. I'm not old enough to remember him coaching the Bulls, all I remember about him in Detroit was Grant Hill was great for him, and then in Washington everybody knows it was M.J. running the show. His coaching resume is pretty damn good though, and I love his work on TNT, so I'm optimistic, but unsure overall.

Same here, I do think he'll give the young guys a chance to get decent minutes unlike Boylan who gives out unconsistant minutes.

Thanks to the magic of wikipedia, I learned that John Malkovich, former Match Game host Gene Rayburn (awesome), and Doug Collins were all born in same small town of just under 3,000 people (Christopher, Illinois). That has no relevance at all, but I thought it was great.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 29, 2008 -> 11:53 PM)
Thanks to the magic of wikipedia, I learned that John Malkovich, former Match Game host Gene Rayburn (awesome), and Doug Collins were all born in same small town of just under 3,000 people (Christopher, Illinois). That has no relevance at all, but I thought it was great.

Doug Collins played for Benton High School. Jerry Sloan is from a town about 20 miles away, McLeansboro, IL, so is Carl Mauck.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 29, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
Collins did do a very good job in Washington though, especially considering the pieces he had.

They showed a stat last night on ESPN that he improved all three teams he coached at least 10 games in the first year he was a head coach, including an 18 game improvement when he took over Washington.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
They showed a stat last night on ESPN that he improved all three teams he coached at least 10 games in the first year he was a head coach, including an 18 game improvement when he took over Washington.

A LOT of that is MJ, not Collins. His first year with the Bulls followed an injury year for Jordan, and his first year with the Wizards was also Jordan's first year there.

Collins is a training wheels coach. He'll wear out his welcome in a year or two, but hopefully he'll instill better habits in the meantime.

I think, all in all, I would have preferred Avery Johnson. I really like what he was able to do with the Mavericks, and Devin Harris in particular (just thinking about Rose's development, if he is indeed the pick). But this could work out, too. I was a fan of Collins when he was with the Bulls. Wait and see.

Then in a few years perhaps Phil Jackson will get tired of the LA lifestyle and want to move to Chicago. Tex Winter still alive?

Welcome back your dreams were your ticket out, Welcome back . . .

Meh, I'm underwhelmed.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 30, 2008 -> 07:29 AM)
I dont feel good about this.I cant envision Phil bringing us a championship in the next year or two,I just cant.

Well...somehow I doubt Phil will be coaching the Bulls any time in the future...

But even just on Collins...right now the Bulls aren't playing for next year. That's the short definition of getting a 19 year old with a #1 pick...they're not going to light the league on fire for a couple years. The Bulls have to be playing for the 2010-2011 season right now, in my eyes. Set yourself a 3 year plan in terms of how you use your players, draft picks, and cap space so that you give your pick (Rose) 2 seasons to adapt his game to the NBA game and build a relationship with his teammates, and try to put yourself in position where you have the cap flexibility to add the parts you need at that time. (Conveniently, that just happens to be the Wade/Lebron/Melo offseason as well)

You go out and start grabbing all stars right now, all you do is kill your cap space and wind up with 33 year old people who's careers are winding down just at the time your #1 pick starts blossoming, and you've built yourself is a team that never gets past the conference finals.

draft_article_large.article_large.jpg CHICAGO—Just days after beating long odds in the NBA Draft Lottery by winning the 2008 draft's first pick, the Chicago Bulls shocked the basketball world by announcing that they would trade their prize in on yet more NBA lottery tickets.

"This is pretty good, this No. 1 pick, it's true," Bulls general manager John Paxson told reporters while watching pre-draft workouts at the United Center. "We could probably get a pretty good player. But you see, if we cash it in and play the NBA Draft Lottery some more, we have a chance to win, like, the whole draft. Our team can't afford to pass up a chance like that."

Related Media

Basketball experts reacted to the move with skepticism bordering on scorn.

"I really thought the big question for the Bulls would be whether to take Derrick Rose at point guard or Michael Beasley at power forward," said Chicago Sun-Times reporter Jay Mariotti. "But now they're going to try and win the entire draft? Typical Bulls move. They're going to lose it all, you know. No wonder they don't have a coach yet."

"Do they understand the actual odds of winning a lottery are something like 30 million to one?" said ESPN's Marc Stein. "They had a two percent chance to get even this far. They should quit while they're ahead, or at least trade down, maybe get Brook Lopez at center, a position they really need."

"Even if they somehow beat the odds and pull it off, look at what they'd get," Stein added. "The 2008 Draft sucks! Kosta Koufos? Chase Budinger? Is it worth risking it all for Geert Hammink? Some jackpot."

Still, Bulls management stands by the decision.

"I hear these people second-guessing our decision to re-invest the top pick," team owner Jerry Reinsdorf said Monday, "and it reminds me of 1984, when everyone wanted Hakeem Olajuwon or Sam Bowie and we wound up with a player you might have heard of named Michael Jordan. Well, just think of the entire 2008 Draft as the second coming of Michael Jordan."

The Bulls front office was immediately inundated with phone calls, letters, and e-mails from fans insisting that the entire 2008 class, though certainly good, was no Michael Jordan.

Meanwhile, NBA Commissioner David Stern has not yet made a decision as to whether he would allow the Bulls to make the risky and controversial move, saying he was still weighing his options.

"As dangerous as trading in the first pick for more lottery tickets would be, it would also set a dangerous precedent if we started telling teams what they could and couldn't do with their lottery winnings," said Stern, while noting that the overwhelming majority of NBA Draft Lottery winners were destitute basement-dwellers less than five years later. "That said, I would certainly counsel the Bulls to think long and hard about what they're doing before going for the whole thing. The whole situation makes me wonder if having a lottery isn't a bad idea to begin with."

"Still, I won't stop the Bulls from doing this if that's what they want," Stern added. "But you know what? I'm not altogether certain that the draft lottery really works this way."

Link

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)
Face it, we're just setting the state for Chrissy Collins to take over the Bulls.

you may be right, I guess on TNT last night Doug said he wasn't interested in coaching until he talked to Chris and he talked him into coaching again.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 30, 2008 -> 05:23 PM)
you may be right, I guess on TNT last night Doug said he wasn't interested in coaching until he talked to Chris and he talked him into coaching again.

No... The only way that happens is if the players like them both and the Bulls are playing well, and if that happens, I wouldn't have a problem with the move. But the players have too much of a say for that to be preordained.

When Collins would broadcast the Bulls game the past few years, what was his assessment of the team? I'd be interested in hearing if anyone remembers what he would say. That would be an unbiased view, compared to what he will say during the press conferences.

Was he high on Hinrich and/or Gordon? Low on them? These could provide a peak into what the bulls will do this summer

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
Well...somehow I doubt Phil will be coaching the Bulls any time in the future...

:lolhitting I do that all the time with this guy.It is like embedded in my mind to call him Phil Collins.