Sox hitters need more regular rest

VAfan

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
One thing to consider is the decrease in PED use especially amphetamines. The older players stats will be worth watching for a decrease in performance during August and Sept. The energy drinks that are now prevalent in the dugouts will only go so far.

These factors may require a closer look at rest but closer to the end of July and August. The nagging injuries may take a greater toll on the players.

I just read an article on why teams road records this year aren't that good. The White Sox till recently had a decent road record but have now lost 5 in a row on the road. The reason that made the most sense was the theory on using "greenies" . Players are more fatigued on the road but aren't using "greenies" anymore. Don't know if Fields is the answer, but it's rather ignorant to assume just because these are major leaguers that they don't get tired. Constant air travel , odd hours and changing time zones wrecks havoc on the body which is the reason why players turned to amphetamines in the 1st place. They have been part of the baseball culture for probably 30-40 years.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
Well that's true, anyone is expendable if you get the right deal. If they can find a guy who plays good defense at 2B, SS, and 3B and has speed and is a pesky hitter, launch Uribe. But I can't figure out who that'd be.

Maybe too soon and maybe his defense isn't good enough, but Mark Loretta comes to mind. Not beating the world down, but a .278/.352/.370 line is pretty solid.

rest is a very overrated concept in baseball.

I kind of agree.

I mean these guys still do pre game workouts, still take a million hacks in the cage, they just don't play in the games when they get "rested."

A baseball game isn't that taxing physically, especially batting.

Ripken was an all star every year and never took a day off.

I don't know about this rest thing.

But I do think what you say about Fields makes sense sort of.

From the Trib today:

Konerko rests

Manager Ozzie Guillen said Paul Konerko needed a break, so he didn't start his first baseman Wednesday night and will have him fulfill the designated-hitter duties in Thursday's series finale at Detroit.

"Besides that, the last couple of weeks he has maxed out mentally about hitting and needs to shut it down for a couple days," Guillen said of Konerko, who is 8-for-21 but still is batting only .217.

Guillen downplayed the fact that Konerko is 3-for-24 lifetime against Detroit starter Justin Verlander.

"I just look at how the player feels," Guillen said. "Right now it starts warming up and it gets hot and humid. You'll see bench players get more playing time."

I just want one of those bench players to be Josh Fields instead of Pablo Ozuna. With Fields, instead of a step down, we might even get some stepped up production on those rest days. He certainly hits lefties better than Joe Crede is doing this year, and better than Jim Thome has done over the last three years. Konerko, meanwhile, is still hurt.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 07:07 AM)
From the Trib today:

Konerko rests

Manager Ozzie Guillen said Paul Konerko needed a break, so he didn't start his first baseman Wednesday night and will have him fulfill the designated-hitter duties in Thursday's series finale at Detroit.

"Besides that, the last couple of weeks he has maxed out mentally about hitting and needs to shut it down for a couple days," Guillen said of Konerko, who is 8-for-21 but still is batting only .217.

Guillen downplayed the fact that Konerko is 3-for-24 lifetime against Detroit starter Justin Verlander.

"I just look at how the player feels," Guillen said. "Right now it starts warming up and it gets hot and humid. You'll see bench players get more playing time."

I just want one of those bench players to be Josh Fields instead of Pablo Ozuna. With Fields, instead of a step down, we might even get some stepped up production on those rest days. He certainly hits lefties better than Joe Crede is doing this year, and better than Jim Thome has done over the last three years. Konerko, meanwhile, is still hurt.

we get it, your in Fields pants, but it won't happen. Fields will not be called up here unless two things happen

1) Crede gets Hurt

2) Crede is traded.

Thats it. Fields cannot play any other position in the MLB. So you can keep bringing this up thread after thread, to remind us all everyday that Fields is the savior, but I really don't think the sox will move on this thought unless one of the two mentioned above happens.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 07:07 AM)
From the Trib today:

Konerko rests

The team is better with Brian Anderson in CF and Swish at 1B than with a Fields variation in the line up.

Sleep is overrated also. I just don't see the ratinale at this point to bring up a young player like Fields. Josh will lay maybe 2 times a week and/or pinch hit and that's not a godd role for a developing hitter. I expect that this month we see a trade for a reserve player since it sure looks more and more like Uribe is the odd man.

Stop it everyone I have the answer.

Send down, waive, DFA whatever it takes both Uribe and Ozuna and bring up Strawberry Fields and Cal Eldred as your LH and RH bats off the bench.

Why am I even doing this.....

Anderson and Uribe could use more playing time and they will get it. Anderson will end up being a more well rounded hitter than Fields when all is said and done. Fields should be left in the minors to pad his stats and should by some miracle Crede resign, traded in a Matt Garza / Delmon Young type of move.

I like Josh Fields more than Joe Crede but I think Joe Crede is a better option for the longevity of this club as Fields could net some really young needs for this team (i.e. arm to replace Contreras in 2010).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 06:10 AM)
The team is better with Brian Anderson in CF and Swish at 1B than with a Fields variation in the line up.

+1

That said, I'd like to see Paulie, JD, and JT getting a little more rest at some point. These guys have a lot of wear and tear on them. And now that Quentin has come back down to Earth a bit, giving him a day off might not be a bad idea, either.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)
I don't believe the injury is a bruise. If you look at another thread, I believe the injury is a tenosynovitis called DeQuervain's Syndrome which is an inflammation of the synovial membrane and tendons of the thumb and wrist.

It is also a condition that does not require surgery but can take a substantial amount of rest to heal.

Take two aspirin and call me in the morning. Or a shot of Jack Daniels might work too :lolhitting :lol:

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
And now that Quentin has come back down to Earth a bit, giving him a day off might not be a bad idea, either.

CQ definately needs a day off. He just looks frustrated/angry lately. Give him a day off Oz......

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 11:45 PM)
I kind of agree.

I mean these guys still do pre game workouts, still take a million hacks in the cage, they just don't play in the games when they get "rested."

A baseball game isn't that taxing physically, especially batting.

Ripken was an all star every year and never took a day off.

I don't know about this rest thing.

But I do think what you say about Fields makes sense sort of.

It's more the travel and the schedule that wears on the player than the game itself. Flying every three days with packing, buses to hotels and getting everything ready is taxing.

as the trainer I would be at the park at 11-12 for a 7 game to take care of injuries and stretch or help the players work out. Get the players ready and the game lasts until 10 or 10:30. Spend from 10:30-11:30 looking at various minor injuries. Then need to get the players who work out after ready, if we were staying in town. Get back to the hotel at 1-2 to be back at the park at 11-12. If we had a midnight or 1 am flight to the next city we had to pack everything up quickly and get to the next hotel around 6-7 am depending on the length of the flight and get back to the park in only 4-5 hours.

A day game after a night game is murder.

What I'm saying is that while it isn't physically taxing or rough as football, ask anyone who travels for a living it is mentally taxing and the focus you need to hit a baseball is not there all of the time due to the schedule.

this is where the amphetamines or "greenies" were effective.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
It's more the travel and the schedule that wears on the player than the game itself. Flying every three days with packing, buses to hotels and getting everything ready is taxing.

as the trainer I would be at the park at 11-12 for a 7 game to take care of injuries and stretch or help the players work out. Get the players ready and the game lasts until 10 or 10:30. Spend from 10:30-11:30 looking at various minor injuries. Then need to get the players who work out after ready, if we were staying in town. Get back to the hotel at 1-2 to be back at the park at 11-12. If we had a midnight or 1 am flight to the next city we had to pack everything up quickly and get to the next hotel around 6-7 am depending on the length of the flight and get back to the park in only 4-5 hours.

A day game after a night game is murder.

What I'm saying is that while it isn't physically taxing or rough as football, ask anyone who travels for a living it is mentally taxing and the focus you need to hit a baseball is not there all of the time due to the schedule.

this is where the amphetamines or "greenies" were effective.

this does make sense, looks like alot of red bull.

I haven't seen a single response on here defend Pablo Ozuna. It seems to me that you have to do so, or come up with some alternative that's better than Josh Fields as his replacement.

There is a place for Josh Fields in this lineup 3-4 games a week, or as a pinch hitter for interleague road games. He'd offer something that Pablo Ozuna cannot: better hitting, much better power, better defense at 3B.

And, BTW, you totally misunderstand why I'm calling for Fields. I don't have anything for Josh Fields. I'm just looking at who is in our minor league system and picking out the guy who could fill a need. He's the only one that, over 100 ML games, has proven he can hit major league pitching. He hits lefties. If we had a better option, I'd happily take it.

The point remains that Pablo Ozuna is NOT a better option. He's taking up a roster space that could be put to better use. The Sox are playing with 24 guys -- 23 really because Uribe, until tonight, hadn't played in a couple of weeks. We've got to have one of the thinnest benches in baseball. And for what reason? Becasuse we made a mistake and gave Ozuna a contract north of a million bucks? I say eat it or send him down. We have been losing close games where a single hit could make the difference. Trust me, at the end of the year, we'll want to have 3-4 games or more that we could have won with some better hitting.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 08:35 AM)
Anderson and Uribe could use more playing time and they will get it. Anderson will end up being a more well rounded hitter than Fields when all is said and done. Fields should be left in the minors to pad his stats and should by some miracle Crede resign, traded in a Matt Garza / Delmon Young type of move.

I like Josh Fields more than Joe Crede but I think Joe Crede is a better option for the longevity of this club as Fields could net some really young needs for this team (i.e. arm to replace Contreras in 2010).

I'll back off my initial feelings about how trading Josh Fields would be the dumbest thing KW could do...it'd be very easy to mess up, but in the right circumstance, it'd be perfectly fine by me.

I will change that to resigning Crede to a market contract as the dumbest thing KW could do. If by some miracle he can resign him to a 3/$30 deal with two options, that'd be fine, but I'd say that's way, way below his market value with Boras as his agent. Personally, I can't trust a surgically repaired back over the duration of a long contract.

Further, I don't know how anyone can say Crede is better for the "longevity" of the club. He will probably be the better player if he's healthy, but if he's injured - which is a very legitimate concern in the same regard - Josh Fields would probably have to hit .210 or worse to be worse than an average replacement player.

Finally, with the way the Sox have been able to find arms within the past 3-4 years, I don't think finding a starter to replace Contreras should be a high priority at this point in time. If anything, I think you see Broadway step into the rotation full time next year while there are a couple others coming up in the system who could possibly take his place if he bombs with Contreras being dealt away (this is something I wouldn't bank on in the least, because I've never really heard anything bad about Contreras from anyone in the White Sox organization).

I want to see what Fields can do over the next month or so, but I think, at this point in time, I'd bet more money on a 3Bman being brought in from outside the organization to take over next year rather than the Sox having Crede or Fields there.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
I haven't seen a single response on here defend Pablo Ozuna. It seems to me that you have to do so, or come up with some alternative that's better than Josh Fields as his replacement.

There is a place for Josh Fields in this lineup 3-4 games a week, or as a pinch hitter for interleague road games. He'd offer something that Pablo Ozuna cannot: better hitting, much better power, better defense at 3B.

My defense is that if you DFA Ozuna then you have a weak bench in regards to the middle infield. Uribe has already been on the DL once, if something were to happen again then there would be no rest for Ramirez and Cabrera. And god forbid something should happen to either of those two, then there are truly no options for the middle infield. Pablo Ozuna has too much versatility to just dump for a guy who can play 3rd and maybe 1st.

And, BTW, you totally misunderstand why I'm calling for Fields. I don't have anything for Josh Fields. I'm just looking at who is in our minor league system and picking out the guy who could fill a need. He's the only one that, over 100 ML games, has proven he can hit major league pitching. He hits lefties. If we had a better option, I'd happily take it.

The point remains that Pablo Ozuna is NOT a better option. He's taking up a roster space that could be put to better use. The Sox are playing with 24 guys -- 23 really because Uribe, until tonight, hadn't played in a couple of weeks. We've got to have one of the thinnest benches in baseball. And for what reason? Becasuse we made a mistake and gave Ozuna a contract north of a million bucks? I say eat it or send him down. We have been losing close games where a single hit could make the difference. Trust me, at the end of the year, we'll want to have 3-4 games or more that we could have won with some better hitting.

If you haven't seen a single response about Ozuna, you're not reading. Try my response on 6/11 5:24 p.m for starters.

Fields does not fill a need right now. There is a reason why they're looking at Lofton, they need speed, a left handed hitter, and a veteran who handle a pennant race. None of which Fields is. Ozuna provides speed, a spark, good contact hitting (which is sorely needed on this team), and the ability to play multiple positions. That last part, ability to play multiple positions, is key, and it's been stated by multiple posters but you don't seem to want to get it.

You are saying Fields would provide better hitting. Better hitting than what? Based on what, last year? This isn't last year. They don't need another high strikeout guy in the lineup, period.

I think you'll just have to get over it. They like Pablo, he is not going to be DFA'd or sent down. With good reason.

You know I believe its just that the sox would like some contact hitters rather than long ball big swing guys. Fields is not that type of hitter. His time will come but not now, and not this team. This team needs speed, contact, and quite frankly a left handed hitter off the bench. My hope is that they are still pursuing lofton. I personally think lofton is waiting for the Cubs, but hopefully they don't come calling. I hope we can bury this thread sometime. There is nothing more really to say about this.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 08:46 PM)

I disagree with this. Ozuna can play almost any position and, unlike his teammates, has speed and can bunt. Although he is inferior to Fields overall, his skill set makes him a much better fit with the Sox right now.

What the Sox DO NOT need at this point is another high-strikeout slugger who is average defensively. Especially one who was injured earlier this year and hasn't exactly been lighting it up in the minors. I think that Fields will be a fine ML player a couple of years down the road, but bringing him up to Chicago wouldn't improve the team at all at this point.

Edited by WCSox

After tonight's game, do y'all still want to defend our offense? We made a starter with an ERA north of 8 runs a game look like Cy Young.

How many guys struck out on the same pitch, all of which were out of the strike zone? Now, I think the guy pitched a good game. But we needed to lay off his slider until he brought it up, because most of the time it was a ball.

As for Ozuna, you guys must be kidding. His OPS is below .600. Anything south of .600 is just worthless offensively.

As for the middle infield, Uribe can cover it defensively. If both Cabrera and Ramirez get hurt, then we're screwed anyway. Pablo Ozuna isn't going to save us. We have middle infielders in AAA to call up in an emergency. I'd take the chance that they would produce over the certainty that Osuna won't produce.

And we don't need LEFT HANDERS. We need another right handed bat. Did you see what a bad lefty did to us tonight? He killed us. Joe Crede absolutely can't hit lefties this year. And plenty of other guys appear to suck at it too.

Again, I'll take Fields because he's the only guy in our system that has proven he can hit major league pitching. If we had someone else, fine. Name him and I'll be happy to bring him up instead. But none of you can sit there and tell me our offense is fine. It's not.

The Tigers are awake. They've won 5 in a row. They're coming. Another tailspin like we had earlier and we won't be in first place at the All Star break, much less September. Now, I think we can pull out of this funk, but I think it's going to take the shake up that Ozzie called for, and not just the tirade, but the actual movement of ballplayers.

We're playing with a 23-man roster. We need 25 guys all pulling their weight if we want to be playing in October this year.