Ken Griffey Jr. + Cash to the White Sox

joejoesox

Ok wow. 3 years ago this place was going nuts for us NOT getting Ken Griffey Jr. And now we have him.

Right now, KW should be on the phone, doing what he can to trade Paul Konerko. Maybe the D-Backs would be desperate enough to make a move with them missing out on Teixeira, and somehow hoping they can fix his swing (because right now you'd get him for nothing). Maybe the Giants who are always desperate for bats.

Swisher should move to 1B, Konerko should hit only against lefties (DH for Thome against them) and play some 1B still, while Griffey moves into CF.

Richar I still have hope for, and Masset came on a bit as well this season, but with Griffey you're getting a "name" player, who will help put more butts in seats so there'll be other benefits for the move.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Texsox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:31 AM)
Well we could have post #400 wondering where he will play :huh

You could go to the Cincy board and probably see a bunch of people asking where is Richar going to play? With Brandon Phillips there, would Richar move to SS?

Edited by heirdog

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
Just a heads up, in the last month, griffey has a .927 OPS, with 5 HR, 17 RBI, 6 doubles, and 1/1 K/BB ratio.

He's heating up.

i posted his july numbers earlier in the thread, i totally agree that he could be a nice bat in our lineup if he holds up these kind of numbers for the rest of the year

i'm just scared with him in CF, seriously

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
and SS

Is green the sarcasm font? He played 1B for 1 game in '05. Couldn't be any worse than PK and I'd rather see Griff in RF than CF

edit- ah, touche. He did play SS, but 1B is a hell of alot easier.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
Ok wow. 3 years ago this place was going nuts for us NOT getting Ken Griffey Jr. And now we have him.

Right now, KW should be on the phone, doing what he can to trade Paul Konerko. Maybe the D-Backs would be desperate enough to make a move with them missing out on Teixeira, and somehow hoping they can fix his swing (because right now you'd get him for nothing). Maybe the Giants who are always desperate for bats.

Swisher should move to 1B, Konerko should hit only against lefties (DH for Thome against them) and play some 1B still, while Griffey moves into CF.

Richar I still have hope for, and Masset came on a bit as well this season, but with Griffey you're getting a "name" player, who will help put more butts in seats so there'll be other benefits for the move.

i totally agree, this works especailly if there is something else up his sleeve which there seems to be. It will be a long afternoon.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:21 AM)
I've asked the Thome question before and since we didn't see Thome at 1B during interleague when Konerko was down, we definately won't see him at 1B now.

You're probably right.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 07:28 AM)
This involves 1B somehow, I have to guess. So which scenario is it...

--Griffey starts in CF, Swisher to 1B, Konerko to the bench?

--Griffey platoons with Konerko and 1B and relieves the other OF's on occasion?

--Griffey to RF and Dye to 1B, Konerko to bench?

I really hope that it's not the first option. That would be a disaster.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Paulie goes on the DL and Dye gets moved to 1B. I don't think that this deal would've happened if Paulie hadn't been injured and wasn't struggling so badly, so that makes him the odd man out. And I get the feeling that Griffey would get massively pissed if he weren't an every-day starter.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)

Konerko can't be traded. The White Sox don't pay contracts when they ship people off. Konerko has no trade rights and no team will assume the contract.

QUOTE (kane0730 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
Assumiing Kong is the odd man out, here is the line-up I'd like to see:

OC

AJ

CQ

Thome

Dye

Griffey

Lexi

Swisher

Fields

And who knows what the lineup would be like if Cabrera ends up getting traded. I understand the left, right, left, right part of the lineup. But I'd rather see Dye bat 4th and put two lefties in a row with Thome and Griffey, against a RHP anyways.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
There are a lot options out there to get someone to agree to a trade. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's impossible.

Well considering the trade deadline is hours away I feel pretty confident in saying that Paul Konerko will be on the White Sox for the rest of the season. Finding someone who wants him, getting him to waive his 10-5, and finalizing a deal before 3 is not something that I would call possible right now.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
Is green the sarcasm font? He played 1B for 1 game in '05. Couldn't be any worse than PK and I'd rather see Griff in RF than CF

edit- ah, touche. He did play SS, but 1B is a hell of alot easier.

And look what happened that year...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
ESPN confirming Masset and Richar. Carpet-bomber Bruce Levine is wrong again on his comment about two insignificant minor leaguers.

One could argue, on another team Massett and Richar could be insignifcant minor leaguers on other teams.