Oz probably getting suspended...

DABearSoX

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
Alright people keep in mind "bean" = ball to the head. If any of you truly believe a player should take a ball to the head for standing at home plate after they launch one then there's something wrong with you. How about "pegged" or "pelted"? At least these don't suggest any body part in particular

So how about Jermaine's hop? Quentin's bat throw? Iguchi's bat flip? Do these deserve action as well?

Do you seriously believe hitting Manny in the ass with a fastball is going to keep him from "showing you up?" If anything he's just going to stand at homeplate for an additional 5 seconds the next time he launches one off you.

Bingo. Wanna stop someone from posing? Don't let them hit a HR off of you. That simple. Posing is not a reason to hit someone.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
He said he should have but he didn't.

Posing ANY time deserves it.

I'm surprised Braun hasn't gotten clocked a few times this year. He poses more than anybody I've seen this year.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
...and one way to make sure he doesn't homer off me at his next at bat is to plunk his knee cap. ;)

Another one is to get suspended for intentionally hitting a batter for no apparent reason at all. Then you force some AAA rook to crap in his pants in the middle of a pennant race. Then he will pose against your replacement and not you. Yep, I guess that's an efficient way to do it.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
Alright people keep in mind "bean" = ball to the head. If any of you truly believe a player should take a ball to the head for standing at home plate after they launch one then there's something wrong with you. How about "pegged" or "pelted"? At least these don't suggest any body part in particular

So how about Jermaine's hop? Quentin's bat throw? Iguchi's bat flip? Do these deserve action as well?

Do you seriously believe hitting Manny in the ass with a fastball is going to keep him from "showing you up?" If anything he's just going to stand at homeplate for an additional 5 seconds the next time he launches one off you.

JD doesn't do much unless its a big-moment HR (game tying, winning etc) which I'm fine with. TCQ tosses his bat like that after every hit due to fearing he may use it to decapitate the first baseman.

The ones i have a problem with are the Soriono's, Aramis, Braun, etc. Hit a solo shot when you're down 5 and flip the bat, jog backwards, hop sideways down the line....the next AB for that d-bag or even the very next guy should be hit 100% of the time.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
Another one is to get suspended for intentionally hitting a batter for no apparent reason at all. Then you force some AAA rook to crap in his pants in the middle of a pennant race. Then he will pose against your replacement and not you. Yep, I guess that's an efficient way to do it.

That was so far over the top is was Tex-like.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)

How can you be suspended when there is no apparent reason? :P

Nite, all I'm saying is these 'rules' are silly. Either everything is grounds for plunking or none of it is.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 04:46 PM)
JD doesn't do much unless its a big-moment HR (game tying, winning etc) which I'm fine with. TCQ tosses his bat like that after every hit due to fearing he may use it to decapitate the first baseman.

The ones i have a problem with are the Soriono's, Aramis, Braun, etc. Hit a solo shot when you're down 5 and flip the bat, jog backwards, hop sideways down the line....the next AB for that d-bag or even the very next guy should be hit 100% of the time.

So basically if it's our guys, you don't mind it. If it's another team's, we should throw fastballs at their spleen? Nice way to be objective.

:gosox3:

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)

I don't condone up and in. If you want to send a message, do what Greinke did yesterday and hit someone in their ass.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)

Nite, all I'm saying is these 'rules' are silly. Either everything is grounds for plunking or none of it is.

As a fan, I go with all of it simply because for some strange reason, I love seeing a bullpen clearing brawl. It's a weird fascination of mine. I love the staredown after a guy knows he's been intentionally plunked.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)
As a fan, I go with all of it simply because for some strange reason, I love seeing a bullpen clearing brawl. It's a weird fascination of mine. I love the staredown after a guy knows he's been intentionally plunked.

Yeah, but most baseball 'fights' aren't any good. Hitter rushes the mound, pitcher waits for wild, round house punch that is sure to miss, pitcher ducks, monkey pile.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
So basically if it's our guys, you don't mind it. If it's another team's, we should throw fastballs at their spleen? Nice way to be objective.

:gosox3:

Nice way to read.

I've never noticed our guys jogging backwards to first, hopping 4 times, watching it fly (sans Griffey) like you've never hit one before. And if they did/do, they should be hit.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 05:01 PM)
Nice way to read.

I've never noticed our guys jogging backwards to first, hopping 4 times, watching it fly (sans Griffey) like you've never hit one before. And if they did/do, they should be hit.

Not to that extent, but I've seen Pauly stare at a few. The slam in the WS, although how could he not?

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)
Not to that extent, but I've seen Pauly stare at a few. The slam in the WS, although how could he not?

Yeah, like i said. I have no problem looking at a walkoff type HR (or a WS grand slamm to put you in the lead). But i do think it should be required to get beaned if you pose for a solo shot in the 3rd inning.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
Was it Carrasco that missed a Royals hitter in the first series after the ASB? This whole thing is so stupid, I have no problem with managers ordering pitchers to hit the opposition. The only time I have a problem with a pitcher throwing at a hitter is if it's in retaliation for a homer hit by the batter before.

When i'm playing MLB 2K8 I've got no problem throwing at the next batter after a home run. I don't think it's a big deal

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 03:50 PM)

I guess it is all out of the same policy book that says A.J. deserves getting fined for simply being on the receiving end of a Marty Barrett coldcock.

SFF

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
Good for Ozzie. This rant is exactly why the players love him. He is perfectly willing to take a bullet for the guys who are willing to go the wall for him.

TAKE A BULLET???? How is it taking a bullet to take away the inside of the plate from pitchers???? This is the stupidest thing I ever heard of from a manager!

QUOTE (Baines3 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 01:41 PM)
Once again Ozzie took one for the team. Perhaps this will turn the team around.

How is this taking one for the team??? Sooo stupid. Granted this is a part of the game, but you're not supposed to talk about it. Now everyone's going to be looking for it, or hitting our team to get us back for Ozzie's stupidity... this is a new low for him.

How dare Ozzie order a pitcher to throw a ball at a hitter? Doesn't he know the ball is a lethal weapon? The Blizzard of Oz should be fired now. Put him out of his misery. He is a dangerous man. He's actually pscho. The poor fans of the South Side are so sick of this guy. Just fire him. Oops, I just wrote Moronotti's column for him.

Other managers should have Ozzie's back and admit they have ordered pitchers to hit batters. It's part of the game. But no ... they'll all shut up and Oz is the victim. Even though the Royals' skipper has had his pitchers hitting Sox batters all season in an attempt to get his team to start playing competitive ball against us.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
How dare Ozzie order a pitcher to throw a ball at a hitter? Doesn't he know the ball is a lethal weapon? The Blizzard of Oz should be fired now. Put him out of his misery. He is a dangerous man. He's actually pscho. The poor fans of the South Side are so sick of this guy. Just fire him. Oops, I just wrote Moronotti's column for him.

Other managers should have Ozzie's back and admit they have ordered pitchers to hit batters. It's part of the game. But no ... they'll all shut up and Oz is the victim. Even though the Royals' skipper has had his pitchers hitting Sox batters all season in an attempt to get his team to start playing competitive ball against us.

lucky.number.slevin

oh and the 6 professional baseball players who have died from fastballs.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 4, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
I enjoy baseball because it has less cocky, showboating, big mouth a-holes than the other sports.....at least on the field. But some of these unwritten rules are a joke. Bunting, or stealing bases when you're up by 6 runs is grounds for getting beaned? Why exactly? Because it's running up the score? I guess no team in MLB history has ever come back from being down by 6 runs. KC should have put it in half ass mode I guess.

Do you really need to bunt to get ONE baserunner though? when the other team is scoreless and looking helpless?

It is bush league what Teahen did...the Royals didn't need a baserunner at the time - not when you're up by 6 runs - and it wasn't that hard to get baserunners against the Sox that day either, seeing as how the Royals scored 14 runs and had like 19 or 20 hits. There's no need to bunt. So I can definitely see justification for throwing at him. Sure, the game's not out of hand yet, but it's also not close either.

It's also definitely a much worse time to bunt than Ben Davis's bunt against Curt Schilling about 5-6 years ago when Schilling had a perfect game going as the Padres were down by 2 in the 8th inning or so. With a baserunner in that scenario, you are a home run away from tying the game; in Teahen's case, you are a baserunner and a big hit away from seeing a big lead turn into a monstrous lead. There's just no need to bunt in the case of Teahen.