Sox acquire Horacio Ramirez from KC

CSF

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 02:50 AM)
I thought so too, but from whitesox.com:

I saw this at whitesox.com

It is likely the White Sox will use Ramirez in the rotation, but with the planned demotion of reliever Boone Logan coming Sunday, they may decide to use him out of the bullpen and call up one of their Minor League starters.

Doubt they would just dump him.. and GETZ better get the call up

A few thoughts:

1] Getz will probably come up. He's been playing 3b lately. It will give the sox another option at 3b, and Uribe and Alexei some time off, give flexibility.

2] Horacio will take Logan's spot in the bullpen. The sox won't and can't stretch him out.

3] Poreda may fill in for Jose until a veteran SP is acquired. Unless Poreda throws lights out right away, the sox will need someone to give them 6, 7 innings each time out. I'd be surprised if the sox even have him throw once.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 08:45 AM)
Any chance we wait and see if Beltre is put on or clears waivers?

It seems that most teams put their entire roster on waivers and see who clears. It gives them the most flexibility and may hide the player(s) they really have available.

ATLANTA -- There really wasn't reason for Andruw Jones to act surprised when informed on Thursday that the Braves had placed him on the waiver wire. This isn't the first time he's been there and it's no secret that a large percentage of Major Leaguers are put on waivers by their respective clubs during the first few days of August. Word that Jones had been placed on the waiver wire was treated as big news in Atlanta on Thursday and Friday. Had the Gold Glove center fielder's name not been included in a number of trade rumors, including one that had him going to the Red Sox, earlier this week, this realization may not have created much of a stir.

According to a high-ranking Braves official, this is a simple procedural process that teams go through on an annual basis. In other words, a multitude of players, ranging from a veteran like John Smoltz to a role player like Matt Diaz, will be placed on waivers to gauge interest from other teams.

If Jones (either Andruw or Chipper), were the only player placed on the waiver wire by the Braves, then all other teams would know exactly who the Braves were looking to move. By placing many, or, in some instances, every member of their 25-man roster on waivers, a team can at least keep their intentions masked.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 01:34 AM)
He really didn't get much of a shot. I think he's still in the plans though...or at least part of a package. Boone just pissed away his chance this year which is really sad because he started the year so strong. He just seemed to turn into a mental midget moper when a few things went wrong. On a side note...I still haven't been thrilled with some of the pitch selections when he was throwing either.

With his high amount of walks lately, hitters were sitting on his fastball. Logan couldnt spot his junk at all, so he was basically batting practice for the last two months. Sometimes it seems like the catcher is calling a bad pitch in a bad spot etc., but this is totally on Boone. He has been giving up hits to both lefties and righties, and walking people as well, just not a good combo.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 10:14 PM)
How so? This Contreras injury really hurts this year, but it's devastating for this offseason's FA plans.

fathom as I have stated in an earlier thread, there is insurance for this type of thing, his salary will be offset.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
Getz and Broadway set to come up, per WSCR.

Broadway = :unsure:

That is beyond scary. I've been optimistic about this team this year, perhaps very uncharacteristically, but if Broadway gets a rotation spot, I believe the Sox chances just went significantly lower. Its a garbage move.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 09:26 AM)
That is beyond scary. I've been optimistic about this team this year, perhaps very uncharacteristically, but if Broadway gets a rotation spot, I believe the Sox chances just went significantly lower. Its a garbage move.

Maybe Broadway is a patch until a trade is worked out

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 01:23 AM)
More that it seems like Crede's career could be in jeopardy, and now there's absolutely no chance the Sox will bring him back.

lets worry about next ...next year. rosters change all the time. We will find another starter, and fields will either be traded or given a good shot after he plays winterball. This is not that hard to figure out. You dont know what will happen, the twins could come up with a big injury just as fast. Fields is a strikeout liability and a defensive liability but everyone on this board thinks he was somekind of all star. Well, lets hope he catches fire in the minors and we can trade him for something, otherwise it appears Ozzie has already made up his mind about him, very simular to Brian andersen.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:26 AM)

what other suggestions do you have?

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Aug 9, 2008 -> 08:08 PM)
Second that. Especially with how young Danks and Floyd are.

If anything, they're going to have to ADD another starter (on top of whoever replaces Jose) so that they can shut down Danks next month as a precaution.

It doesn't hurt to pick up Ramirez, as we gave up nothing at all for him. But, I expect very little out of him. The situation the White Sox find themselves in right now is looking bleaker and bleaker. We REALLY need to get another, legitimate starter. And we'll probably need to get another reliever, but Ramirez might end up filling that void. Plus, we need Linebrink to come back healthy ASAP. If all of these things happen, we still have a good shot at making the playoffs.

When the hell is Linebrink supposed to be returning, anyway? I feel like he's been out for like 3 months.

Imagine Masset, but worse. Thats broadway. He will be a flesh colored batting Tee down the road. AAA hitters are rocking him, what exactly do you think the major leaguers will do. He has a problem giving up the home run, so playing at the Cell in August is going to help that. Bring up Poreda if you are going to the well. At least his ball sinks.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)
It doesn't hurt to pick up Ramirez, as we gave up nothing at all for him. But, I expect very little out of him. The situation the White Sox find themselves in right now is looking bleaker and bleaker. We REALLY need to get another, legitimate starter. And we'll probably need to get another reliever, but Ramirez might end up filling that void. Plus, we need Linebrink to come back healthy ASAP. If all of these things happen, we still have a good shot at making the playoffs.

When the hell is Linebrink supposed to be returning, anyway? I feel like he's been out for like 3 months.

At least 2-3 more weeks, if then...not looking especially optimistic. Is Hermanson finally ready, lol? We already tried Loiaza.

Getz up and Fields down. I applaud the move. I would think that move might be temporary and just until Crede is back, but Joe might be out for awhile still. Broadway up and Logan down. I watched that game last night and Boone Logan was a little league pitcher. It was very frustrating. Carrasco did a good and so did Russell, but you prefer to see the pen shut down opponents completely. However in 7 innings those 2 only allowed 2 runs. Boone was the problem. Thinking of the fact that if Boone Loagn could have done his job we might still be playing that game. Carrasco wants to start, but my guess is Broadway gets the call only because he is a starter and stretched out where DJ goes 4 innings, but anything can happen I guess