Sox acquire Horacio Ramirez from KC

CSF

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:09 AM)
I expect we'll see Broadway get a start against Kansas City.

For several reasons it makes alot of sense.

Sure because pitching in late September with 2 dead teams translates to this year in a pennant race with a team that there is bad blood with. Hopefully the kids in the outfield are warned of the flying objects leaving the ballpark.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
Hopefully the kids in the outfield are warned of the flying objects leaving the ballpark.

LOL. Yeah, maybe they should have a Lance Broadway hard-hat day.

On the bright-side, his splits suggest he might do decently against right-handers.

But lefties have brutalized him this year.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=473560

QUOTE (quickman @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
fathom as I have stated in an earlier thread, there is insurance for this type of thing, his salary will be offset.

I would imagine Jose will return around the ASB next year, in which case the insurance would be void.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
I would imagine Jose will return around the ASB next year, in which case the insurance would be void.

I think the insurance works based on the number of games/starts missed.

Wells went down fairly early in 2001, maybe six weeks into the season...I think the White Sox ended up getting something in the neighborhood of $4-6 million back in an insurance payment. Now do we want to use that money on paying half of Washburn's salary for 2009? I would guess that Seattle can either take back half of our farm system and subsidize his contract (what ended up losing Chris Young in the Vazquez deal) or we can agree to pay it and give up very little, like the Griffey deal.

Typically, JR has always sided with taking the money and giving up talent, but I don't think we can afford to do it this time. Giving up Poreda to save the money on Washburn's contract for 2009 would be a waste, IMO.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
He doesn't throw enough strikes. A one or two inning guy is where he will be most successful.

Thornton had trouble throwing strikes lately, but that's not why he's a bad choice to start. He's only got 2 pitches - that's a big problem #1. Problem two is that a guy who throws 97 and has been in the pen for years, probably isn't going to be able to keep throwing 97 as a starter for a 5 or 6 inning stint.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 08:51 AM)
wite will keep us posted if anything happens on that situation. :)

I could see it happening if the M's like Shelby enough and if the Sox view him as a replaceable piece within the organization. The Sox would include more, but Shelby would almost certainly have to be the piece that made or broke the trade (on an unrelated note, made or broke isn't nearly as cool as make or break).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
I think the insurance works based on the number of games/starts missed.

Wells went down fairly early in 2001, maybe six weeks into the season...I think the White Sox ended up getting something in the neighborhood of $4-6 million back in an insurance payment. Now do we want to use that money on paying half of Washburn's salary for 2009? I would guess that Seattle can either take back half of our farm system and subsidize his contract (what ended up losing Chris Young in the Vazquez deal) or we can agree to pay it and give up very little, like the Griffey deal.

Typically, JR has always sided with taking the money and giving up talent, but I don't think we can afford to do it this time. Giving up Poreda to save the money on Washburn's contract for 2009 would be a waste, IMO.

There are essentially two types of insurance. The normal worker's comp like every company has where the worker gets paid 66% of the salary without taxes. The other is a policy that can is arranged separately with the club and a re-insurer such as Loyd's of London where a pre-arranged amount of the total will be paid based on the amount of time the player missed based on the normal workload. This was the problem with the A-Rod contract over the 10 years. The Rangers couldn't get the entire contract covered and had to settle for only a portion being covered. Thus, the ballclub has to assume a greater debt if the player misses significant time. All of the policies are individually arranged based on factors such as age, inujury history ...

Ihave no idea what Jose's was but it should pay out well. An achilles tendon repair in a guy his age is a 6-8 month rehab.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
I could see it happening if the M's like Shelby enough and if the Sox view him as a replaceable piece within the organization. The Sox would include more, but Shelby would almost certainly have to be the piece that made or broke the trade (on an unrelated note, made or broke isn't nearly as cool as make or break).

would certainly have to be the "make or break" piece of the trading puzzle...?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 10:21 PM)
There are essentially two types of insurance. The normal worker's comp like every company has where the worker gets paid 66% of the salary without taxes. The other is a policy that can is arranged separately with the club and a re-insurer such as Loyd's of London where a pre-arranged amount of the total will be paid based on the amount of time the player missed based on the normal workload. This was the problem with the A-Rod contract over the 10 years. The Rangers couldn't get the entire contract covered and had to settle for only a portion being covered. Thus, the ballclub has to assume a greater debt if the player misses significant time. All of the policies are individually arranged based on factors such as age, inujury history ...

Ihave no idea what Jose's was but it should pay out well. An achilles tendon repair in a guy his age is a 6-8 month rehab.

Actually, now that you mention it, I think the policy was through Lloyd's of London.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 10, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
would certainly have to be the "make or break" piece of the trading puzzle...?

Actually, I hadn't even considered the fact that the M's have the #1 waiver priority, so it wouldn't be make or break. If they had the #2 priority, any young player the Sox put on waivers would get scooped up instantly.