Jordan Danks signs

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
What kind of schedule does Danks look to be on? Should he move through the system pretty quickly?

I think he will start out in Kanny, as well being much like Beckham. He will probably hit very well, but with limited power and I would say he would start next year in WS. Then pending on the season, maybe be promoted to AA for the second half of '09. Start '10 in AAA and then see where he is at. But, he should be a ML-ready talent by 23 years old, so in two years. Because we have very little talent in the upper levels, especially in the OF, I would guess Danks will rise quickily and probably be on the Sox's top 10 prospect list next year, maybe even top 5.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
Thinking he will be a success is just as right as predicting he will do nothing, IMO. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so I don't know why people are berating him about thinking Danks is overrated. I for think he will be wrong, and I am sure he hopes he is wrong, too in the end, but he can have an opinion.

But how can you have an opinion at all? All prospects basically start off on the same footing.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)
Thinking he will be a success is just as right as predicting he will do nothing, IMO. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so I don't know why people are berating him about thinking Danks is overrated. I for think he will be wrong, and I am sure he hopes he is wrong, too in the end, but he can have an opinion.

I didn't say he couldn't have an opinion I was just asking what he was going by, If he's seen some scouting reports which completely take apart Danks' game and show why he'll never amount to anything, or if he's been watching him all year and knows his game well then fair enough, but if he's just pulling stuff out of his arse then it was really a pretty pointless statement.

There's a difference between an informed opinion on a subject and a pure guess.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 12:06 PM)
Not a real surprise. Good to see the Sox locked it down.

Aside from Poreda and Allen, there wasn't a whole lot to check in on every day. Becks and Danks will be fun to monitor.

We'll have to wait until next year though... I'd be surprised if they got 10 games in, if any, before rookie ball is over.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
Adding Beckham and Danks to our farm system brings it back to respectability a little more.

Glad to see the Sox did the right thing, went over slot, and got it done.

Now let's hope Danks doesn't turn into a Sweeney or Reed type of hitter who just has no power whatsoever.

He should at least make it as a 4th OF someday though.

Like Brian Andersen? I hope he can be better than Andersen, but I do think this is a great start to building the minor leagues. We need a nother very solid draft next year and we could be in good shape.

QUOTE (quickman @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 08:26 PM)
Like Brian Andersen? I hope he can be better than Andersen, but I do think this is a great start to building the minor leagues. We need a nother very solid draft next year and we could be in good shape.

Do you try and work a slam of Anderson, who's name you still can't spell, into every other damn thread?

QUOTE (forrestg @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 07:10 AM)
Would beckham and Danks qualify for Arizona fall league or is that for more seasoned players? It might not be in their contracts. Just a thought.

I believe they're both eligible to participate, I know Matt LaPorta participated last year which was the same year he was drafted. I'm not entirely sure on all the regulations however.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 01:18 AM)
I believe they're both eligible to participate, I know Matt LaPorta participated last year which was the same year he was drafted. I'm not entirely sure on all the regulations however.
Thanks, I know we are all eager to see what they have.. I may go to Arizona to experience some Afl games.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 01:43 PM)
Adding Beckham and Danks to our farm system brings it back to respectability a little more.

Glad to see the Sox did the right thing, went over slot, and got it done.

Now let's hope Danks doesn't turn into a Sweeney or Reed type of hitter who just has no power whatsoever.

He should at least make it as a 4th OF someday though.

Well then Ken can just turn them into a valuable commodity with the means of transaction known as 'trading'.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
Do you try and work a slam of Anderson, who's name you still can't spell, into every other damn thread?

Not everyone can handle the power of Stache Anderson, also known as Lucipher, Stalin Jr, Lenin, Bush, Obama, McCain, Gore, Gardenhire, hippie, and God, whose name depends upon your religion, country of origin, and race (though I don't know what race has to do with it exactly...that's just what they told me to say).

Anyways, he's a perfect 4th outfielder and he would be a starting player on probably 10 teams in the majors. The Sox should be glad to have him.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 14, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
I didn't say he couldn't have an opinion I was just asking what he was going by, If he's seen some scouting reports which completely take apart Danks' game and show why he'll never amount to anything, or if he's been watching him all year and knows his game well then fair enough, but if he's just pulling stuff out of his arse then it was really a pretty pointless statement.

There's a difference between an informed opinion on a subject and a pure guess.

If he has any detailed information, I'd hope he would share it with the rest of the class.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 05:13 AM)
It seems to change a lot, last year it was Phoenix and the year before that it was Scottsdale.

I'm gonna be in Lake Havasu for a week in November...anyone who lives out that way know if Scottsdale or Phoenix are within driving distance from there?

good to see he signed. from what i've read it sounds like he's a great prospect who fell because of his association with boras.

one thing i have read as a concern (and maybe some of those who've either seen him play or are more locked in to prospects) is that he didn't show the type of power at texas some thought he showed in high school. again, this isn't so much my concern as something i've read but i'd be curious to hear some insight on that.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 06:59 AM)
Does anyone know if it can be arranged that they play on same AFL team?

We're sending the elder Danks to winterball? Why? After the innings he's logged already this year he ought to have the winter off to rest that valuable left arm.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
We're sending the elder Danks to winterball? Why? After the innings he's logged already this year he ought to have the winter off to rest that valuable left arm.

I would be totally shocked if they sent the elder Danks to the AFL.

Usually, it's your top 3 position prospects (AA, sometimes high A) and your top two pitchers and a reliever, or two relievers and a starter.

I think it's going to be tough for the White Sox to find six players that fit that bill in the high minors. I would go with Getz (to keep learning multiple infield positions, depending on the plan for 09 w/ Crede-Fields-Uribe), Poreda, Adam Russell, and...not sure after that.

It would be nice to see Fields gain some confidence going into next season...but perhaps he needs the time off mentally. It would also be interesting to see how well someone like Shelby or Brandon Allen would fare, although that might be pushing it to send them at this point to the AFL.

I doubt we see either Beckham or Danks in the AFL, but it's all up to KW.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)

I doubt we see either Beckham or Danks in the AFL, but it's all up to KW.

Beckham said he was going to play fall ball, don't know if that's what he meant, but he's going to be doing something to make up for the time he lost.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 07:09 PM)
Beckham said he was going to play fall ball, don't know if that's what he meant, but he's going to be doing something to make up for the time he lost.

Beckham is making up for lost time tonight...

Walk, single, and double in his first 3 trips to the plate.