What has happend to soxtalk???

soxbearsbulls

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand by my criticism that the Catch-all approach has really hurt this site.

Also this place is a place to vent when things are going bad. When things are going good, we take the dog for a walk, wave to the neighbor and talk nicely to fiends and what not.

The problem I think with White Sox baseball right now in Chicago has to do with the fact that it seems the cub has won the world series and nobody really even looks at the Sox.

Compare the early season banter for Fukodome and now Harden and Samardjia(sp?) as compared to Quentin, Alexi Ramirez, Floyd and Danks. It really is sickening how they are fawned over.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 01:48 PM)
I think many Soxtalk posters are disillusioned with your first-place White Sox, and many others are upset with the rampant negativity.

^^

I'm a little bit of both here, but for the most part I'm pretty tired of people being so damned negative over every play.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)
I stand by my criticism that the Catch-all approach has really hurt this site.

I would tend to agree with you on that, I would rather look through a few different threads than slog through pages of a catch-all-thread.

I lurk more than I post now, maybe part of the problem, so take what I say with a grain of salt (not that you wouldn't anyway).

I used to visit this site as a news source. It turned into a gossip column. Then I came for the discussion but there are groups of elitists that took the fun out of that. At this point I avoid Pale Hose Talk after a loss. After a win, it's pretty much a field of smug remarks pointed to the negative posters of yesterday's loss. The place feels more like a game of tug of war than it does a community. It's like everyone forgot the entertainment value behind baseball. Matter of fact, I've watched less White Sox games this season as a result of this board. I've cared less. Perhaps we can blame this on a World Series Championship? Nobody is humble anymore?

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
I started a game thread for Saturday's game at about midnight on Friday Night/Saturday morning. Why was it deleted by a mod/admin? I always thought that anyone could start game threads here. Did I open it too early or something? There was nothing else wrong with it. All I said was "this is my first game thread. :gosox3:" or something like that.

Nobody can answer this for me?

Edited by jenks45monster

personally i enjoy the site as i always have. i tend to operate under the don't like, don't click philosophy. if i see a bunch of ridiculousness in a thread i generally just move along. there's being critical because it's deserved and critical to be critical. when i see the former, i'll participate. when i see the latter, i find another topic for the most part, although if you catch me in the wrong mood...

in general, though, i think sox fans by nature are more skeptical sorts. plus, since 2005 there has no doubt been an influx of fans who aren't as familiar with just how bad and irrelevant this team has been at points in the recent past. not saying they are wrong to expect greatness, but some folks lack the perspective that watching years of bad baseball can provide.

i'd say the only thing that does bother me is the fact that some folks still try to portray kw as some buffoon. i've always had the same opinion of kw--he makes some good deals and some bad ones and he isn't the worst or best gm out there. but he's good and the records of the team's he's built would support that. i had to laugh recently after the trade deadline when some were pissing and moaning about how we didn't have the prospects to make a signifcant deal that would fortify us for the stretch run. although i can see where this line of thinking comes from, i think it overlooks the fact that one reason we don't have prospects is many of them were dealt to build the team that has been in first place for most of the year. that is, after all, more important.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
Last season, unwritten rules were implemented for game thread creators, where the poster is entitled to post the next game thread, until the Sox lose.

I think it's pretty sh***y that whoever deleted it never even bothered to message me seeing as it's unwritten and since it was 'written' before I even joined.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
I think it's pretty sh***y that whoever deleted never even bothered to message me seeing as it's unwritten and since it was 'written' before I even joined.

I posted a thread today because yesterday's winner never posted one.

If you wish, you may post tomorrow's thread.

P.S. - I did not delete your thread.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
I posted a thread today because yesterday's winner never posted one.

If you wish, you may post tomorrow's thread.

P.S. - I did not delete your thread.

Thanks for the offer and thanks for letting me know. I will try to do the game thread tomorrow, but am unsure if/when I would be able to since I am going to the game tomorrow night. If it is not posted by the early afternoon, somebody else can take it.

The game threads are negative, but so what? It's kind of funny to see people freak out over every play in a game. One person had the Sox getting swept by Oakland early in Game One. Last I looked we won 2 of 3.

I wish people would make more new threads.

It does seem sometimes if somebody creates a new thread they get ripped a lot.

But who cares? It's still good discussion. I just think people shouldn't discourage people from starting new threads. People should also remember just because they have a strong opinion, some others might disagree with their opinion.

Case in point ...

-- I like Paulie, many don't. Difference of opinion.

-- I don't like Swish much of the time. Many like him a lot. Difference of opinion.

-- I think Crede is great. Many disagree. Difference of opinion.

-- Generally I dislike most of our relievers except Bobby and Thornton of late. Difference of opinion.

It's fun to debate differences of opinion, not just jump somebody for them.

Gotta give credit to knightni turning me on to Sox Talk, when he found out that i was a die hard Sox fan from another non baseball site we are both members of, and that he used to frequent quite often, when i posted a thread there on the 2005 WS champions............

I may not post a lot, but i have always been faithful to ST, checking at least once a day during every season since, good or bad, and a few times a week in the offseason.........

Win or lose, i've been a die hard Sox fan since i went to my first Sox game, at age 5, in 1964, in that toddlin' town that is Chicago........

Sox rule, always have, always will, and ST is a cool site, even for us oldsters........ :drink

:headbang :gosox3: :gosox1: :gosox2: :headbang

I used to be very active till I opened my eyes and realized that school related subjects was more important than reading suffering loss threads about how bad a game was. Not to mention that I started working 10hrs. a day, everyday.

Soxtalk, IIRC, has never really been close to what WSI has been, but since this place does have more intellectual posters, it feels like it's close to it.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 09:03 PM)
I used to be very active till I opened my eyes and realized that school related subjects was more important than reading suffering loss threads about how bad a game was. Not to mention that I started working 10hrs. a day, everyday.

Soxtalk, IIRC, has never really been close to what WSI has been, but since this place does have more intellectual posters, it feels like it's close to it.

Well that's a good thing. If this site ever gets close to what WSI is, I'm leaving. Fortunately I don't think the mod staff here has any plans to become overbearing assholes overnight so I think we're good.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 07:39 PM)
Well that's a good thing. If this site ever gets close to what WSI is, I'm leaving. Fortunately I don't think the mod staff here has any plans to become overbearing assholes overnight so I think we're good.

You said it. brother. That's it in a nutshell.