Since we're talking all-time favorite Sox players...

thedoctor

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
Al Levine, Fred Manrique, and one of the most obvious of all (I mean, C'MON PEOPLE) our very own Kenny Williams!

I have his game worn rookie jersey. It was Oscar Gambles and the Sox, took the # and name off and just put his on. I'm a pretty thin guy and it tight as hell on me.

50's: Harry "Suitcase" Simpson, Ron Northey

60's: Danny Cater, Dave Nicholson, Cisco Carlos, Jim Lemon, Wes Covington

70's: Buddy Bradford, Rich McKinney, John "Pineapple" Matias, Bill Nahorodny

80's: Dennis Lamp, Steve Lyons, Wayne Edwards

90s: Warren Newson, Lyle Mouton,

00s: Charles Johnson, Jeff Liefer, Cal Eldred, Sean Lowe

You Ed Walsh are a great fan to pull those names out of the hat. WOW! A lot of those guys were kinda likeable, especially Naha, Lamp and Warren Newson.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
I don't consider Lance Johnson an obscure player.

What about Joey Cora?

I remember Charlie O'Brian wearing the hockey mask as a catcher and thought it was cool. Never liked him, or Robert Machado.

Mike Deveraux, however it's spelled.

No Joe Borchard or James Baldwin love?

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 07:01 PM)
Rocky Biddle, Jeff Liefer, Lorenzo Barcelo, Jesus Pena, Felix Diaz, Chris Snopek, Mark Johnson, and little Liu Rodriguez

Jeff Liefer! I always had much love for him and Ross Gload. They had the to ride the pine behind Frank and Paulie, they'd play maybe once a month, go 0 for 4 and every Sox fan would say they suck.

Lyle Mouton. According to Hawk, Craig Grebeck was "Little Hurt" and Mouton was "Baby Frank." I remember how I thought this offense was going to be unreal in the late '90s with Frank, a young "El Caballo" Carlos Lee, Maggs, a young Konerko and "Baby Frank" Mouton. Well, 4 of those 5 have had pretty damn good careers...but obscure Lyle Mouton was left out in the cold.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
Salome BaROjas (c'mon guys get it right), Marc "Booter" Hill, Donnie Hill, Joel Skinner, Carlos Martinez, Ivan Calderone

we did, didn't we?

(and there's no "e" at the end of calderon)

:P

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2008 -> 11:35 PM)
Wow somebody loves the 60s, though Fletcher was 80s right?

An obscure Sox favorite? I'd say JC Martin to be different, but he wasn't much of a hitter.

I'd go back to 77 as well and pick our ss Alan Bannister for that one year. He hit the ball hard as did all those guys. Maybe Jim Spencer off that team. He hit some shots.

I'd never pick Jerry Dysbinski (sp) cause of his baserunning blunder that may have cost us a WS title. We'd have won Game Five with Hoyt for sure and probably would have gone all the way.

The 60's were great, but Al Lopez and the Sox always seemed to be second. Flethcher was the 80's. I remember a game that I believe we played against the Yankmees and Fletcher had four hits and even though we were trailing he never seemed to give in. He was a scrappy player and I believe we rallied to win gthat game too.

JC Martin was the knuckleball catcher supreme. Gerry McNertney is another obscure name and he also caught the knuckler, but I think JC Martin was better.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (YASNY @ Aug 19, 2008 -> 11:04 AM)
I saw where someone listed Ken Harrelson. Did Hawk play for the White Sox? If so, I damn sure don't remember it.

He did not play for the White Sox. He nearly signed with the White Sox after being waived by the Athletics because he went off on Finley, but chose the Red Sox instead.

Edited by Steve9347