Arizona Fall League

Cali

Stats update:

Danks .378 .465 .514 .979 OPS 1HR 2 2B 6BB 10K in 37 AB 1 error

G-Becks .367 .467 .612 1.079 OPS 2HR 4 2B 1 3B 8BB 11K 49 AB 4 errors

Armstrong .357 .420 .671 1.091 OPS 6HR 4 2B 9BB 17k 70 AB

Cole and Becks rank 3 and 4 in team OPS Danks is 6th Cole leads the team in HR's

There is some pretty good talent on their team, Wallace, Murphy, etc

Our pitching hasnt been that great. Poreda has struck out 12 in 8 IP, Torres not so good.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
Isn't the AFL where KW decided to go after Floyd? I think he puts a-lot of faith in the AFL and is why Poreda is in the pen.

I remember more talk about Masset in the AFL than Floyd, but maybe there was Floyd AFL talk too that I don't remember.

So after seeing our top guys raking I decided to check other teams to see if it was a product of the league. It appears our team is just downright nasty at the plate, they have 60 more walks than the next team 27 more RBI, 21 points of OPS, and 32 runs. And thats the second best team, theres a HUGE separation between Peoria and Surprise, who sucks.

Cole and Becks rank 9 and 10 in the entire league in OPS. Becks is 12 in avg.

I was curious about the name of the AFL team... the Saguaros. Especially since I found out when I went to the games that I was pronouncing it wrong. Damn tourist. :P

Looked it up on dictionary.com. Thought I'd post what I found, for what it's worth.

sa⋅gua⋅ro (suh-wahr-oh): a tall, horizontally branched cactus of Arizona and neighboring regions, yielding a useful wood and bearing an edible fruit.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)
I was curious about the name of the AFL team... the Saguaros. Especially since I found out when I went to the games that I was pronouncing it wrong. Damn tourist. :P

:lolhitting Too funny scenario.

Saguaros...not to be confused with the other Peoria team....

The Javelinas.

franco_300_2.jpg :lol:

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 14, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
Any of our Arizona area fans up for scouting the kid?

Well...unless he throws tomorrow...that'll be it for me. Don't play Sunday...and no can do the day games this week. Season ends on Thursday.

from peter gammons' blog 11/15/08 (this is secondhand btw so i ain't positive it's a direct quote):

"Scouts in Arizona for the Arizona Fall League and the White Sox's minor league people are convinced that Gordon Beckham, the eighth pick in the MLB draft this past June, will be Chicago's everyday second baseman by June."

interesting if true.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 11:48 AM)
from peter gammons' blog 11/15/08 (this is secondhand btw so i ain't positive it's a direct quote):

interesting if true.

Hmmm, maybe they are serious about a Getz / Nix platoon, and then have Beckham come up after all.

If that scenario does evantuate, KW could really be going after a big time CF such as Beltran after all.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 09:22 PM)
Not a very auspicious start, but I'm not giving up on the kid until i see what happens after Cooper gets to work on him.

He's just not very good. My brother saw him face the Bulls twice this year, and said he was throwing 85 mph and gave up a lot of homers. I'm not giving up on him either, but it's astonishing when people say he might compete for a starting rotation spot this year.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
Not a very auspicious start, but I’m not giving up on the kid until i see what happens after Cooper gets to work on him.

We'll see, but I think he's probably on par with Broadway and Egbert. The trade was made because the Sox didn't want Swisher anymore, and Swisher didn't want to be on the Sox either. He had to go, and with little trade value, the Sox didn't get much back. Hopefully Betemit surprises somehow.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
He's just not very good. My brother saw him face the Bulls twice this year, and said he was throwing 85 mph and gave up something like 8 homers in 5 innings. I'm not giving up on him either, but it's astonishing when people say he might compete for a starting rotation spot this year.

At this point, i see Richard and Poreda going at it for the 5th spot (much like Danks andFloyd did two years ago) with the loser and Marquez going to the bullpen