Off-Season Suggestion Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 11:32 PM)
Lineup

1. Chone Figgins CF

2. Alexei Ramirez 2B

3. Carlos Quentin LF

4. David Wright 3B

5. Jim Thome DH

6. Jermaine Dye RF

7. AJ Pierzynski C

8. Nick Swisher 1B

9. Juan Uribe SS

Rotation:

1. Mark Buehrle

2. John Danks

3. Pedro Martinez

4. Jose Contreras

5. Nick Adenhart

Bullpen:

R: Matt Thornton

R: Jose Arredondo

R: Scott Linebrink

R: Octavio Dotel

CL: Bobby Jenks

Gavin Floyd and Josh Fields for David Wright.

Javier Vazquez and Paul Konerko for Chone Figgins, Jose Arredondo and Nick Adenhart.

Sign Pedro Martinez

I love it because it's crazy.

Pedro and Ozzie will end up having a knife fight on the dugout after Pedro gets bombed.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
I just keep trying to think of ways to get rid of Thome and I just don't see how we could. :(

Jim Thome had the 3rd highest OPS+, 3rd highest SLG%, and 2nd highest OBP on the White Sox this season, and he hit .245. Why do people want to get rid of him? He hits homers, he walks, or he strikes out...you can deal with players like that when they're as productive as Thome is. Dye I understand, because his value is high, his contract is reasonable, he's a generally impatient hitter when it comes to walks, he struck out 104 times this year, and he's mediocre defensively (when there's a superior option in RF). Add to it that the Sox have (including Dye) four right handed hitters in the lineup that have considerable power...unless you count Griffey or Pierzynski (and it'd be dumb if you did), the Sox have one left-handed hitter that has good power.

Why people want to get rid of Thome is beyond my comprehension.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
I have a feeling there are about 5 or 6 other teams that feel the same way.

One of them being the Twins, which would suck. Buscher looks like a solid 3Bman too, and I'm pretty sure he's a more valuable commodity than Josh Fields right now. Beltre is a player I really wouldn't get butthurt about if the Sox had to overpay for, even if for one year, because I imagine there's a possibility he'll be a type A free agent, he's fantastic defensively, he has great power, and he has shown that in a contract year, he'll explode. He just seems like the perfect candidate to me.

OK guys and Steff (is she the only girl on here?) ... seriously.

CC Sabathia.

Why not?

We are Chicago; a big market. Think about how he would help our staff and get everybody 110 percent jacked for next season. We'd be picked by everybody to win the division.

It's just f***ing money. Is Jerry gonna take it to the grave with him? What are the Sox worth now? Some astronomical amount. Since they went back to the cool uniforms years ago after some of the old monstrocity uniforms, they must sell gobs of merchandise alone.

Think about it. The Flubs got Soriano a few offseasons ago. They get Harden at the break.

What about CC Sabathia?? Do we have to think small just because we are the White Sox?

I want some serious comments. Can we get him? And the obvious answer is no, then why not??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 11:48 PM)
One of them being the Twins, which would suck. Buscher looks like a solid 3Bman too, and I'm pretty sure he's a more valuable commodity than Josh Fields right now. Beltre is a player I really wouldn't get butthurt about if the Sox had to overpay for, even if for one year, because I imagine there's a possibility he'll be a type A free agent, he's fantastic defensively, he has great power, and he has shown that in a contract year, he'll explode. He just seems like the perfect candidate to me.

Fields, Shelby, and Broadway for Beltre? M's would also get salary relief. If he leaves we'll get the picks. Too bad Bavasi(spelling?) isn't the GM still.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
OK guys and Steff (is she the only girl on here?) ... seriously.

CC Sabathia.

Why not?

We are Chicago; a big market. Think about how he would help our staff and get everybody 110 percent jacked for next season. We'd be picked by everybody to win the division.

It's just f***ing money. Is Jerry gonna take it to the grave with him? What are the Sox worth now? Some astronomical amount. Since they went back to the cool uniforms years ago after some of the old monstrocity uniforms, they must sell gobs of merchandise alone.

Think about it. The Flubs got Soriano a few offseasons ago. They get Harden at the break.

What about CC Sabathia?? Do we have to think small just because we are the White Sox?

I want some serious comments. Can we get him? And the obvious answer is no, then why not??

Name a starting pitcher who received a 4+ year big money deal and was consistently good over the life of the contract.

Now name some starting pitchers who received 4+ year big money deals and BOMBED.

CC is looking at 6/7 years at $17M+ per. Sure he looks worth it right now but history says such a contract would be a mistake.

Sure CC looks like the exception but Mike Hampton and Barry Zito were also supposed to be fairly safe bets as well.

Mike Hampton went 8 years without suffering a single injury and was considered to be the most athletic pitcher in the game. When he signed his mega-deal with the Rockies in 2000 he was pretty much a better version of Mark Buehrle. (some would actually characterize CC the same way) 8 years later and that deal is considered to be the worst in the history of the game.

CC is looking at 6/7 years at $17M+ per. Sure he looks worth it right now but history says such a contract would be a mistake.

Good points all in your post. I guess what you are also telling me is he's a future Yankee, Met or Red Sox.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 11:40 PM)
Jim Thome had the 3rd highest OPS+, 3rd highest SLG%, and 2nd highest OBP on the White Sox this season, and he hit .245. Why do people want to get rid of him? He hits homers, he walks, or he strikes out...you can deal with players like that when they're as productive as Thome is. Dye I understand, because his value is high, his contract is reasonable, he's a generally impatient hitter when it comes to walks, he struck out 104 times this year, and he's mediocre defensively (when there's a superior option in RF). Add to it that the Sox have (including Dye) four right handed hitters in the lineup that have considerable power...unless you count Griffey or Pierzynski (and it'd be dumb if you did), the Sox have one left-handed hitter that has good power.

Why people want to get rid of Thome is beyond my comprehension.

He doesn't hit for average, I guess. Of course, if he was still hitting ~.300 at age 38 he'd probably be considered one of the best of all time, so that's probably not a valid criticism. Oh, and he's also not "clutch", whatever that means. I guess a 3 run homer in the 3rd is like 15x less important than a 3 run homer in the 8th.

Seriously, I'd like to see what most people consider a valid option at DH Dye? Konerko? Someone else? And since Thome's option vested, where's he going to go?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 12:21 AM)
Good points all in your post. I guess what you are also telling me is he's a future Yankee, Met or Red Sox.

Or Dodger, Angel, Giant. He supposedly wants to play on the West Coast and stay in the NL so we'll see.

QUOTE (almagest @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 12:24 AM)
He doesn't hit for average, I guess. Of course, if he was still hitting ~.300 at age 38 he'd probably be considered one of the best of all time, so that's probably not a valid criticism. Oh, and he's also not "clutch", whatever that means. I guess a 3 run homer in the 3rd is like 15x less important than a 3 run homer in the 8th.

Seriously, I'd like to see what most people consider a valid option at DH Dye? Konerko? Someone else? And since Thome's option vested, where's he going to go?

That HR that sent the Sox to the postseason was also definitely not clutch.

All I have to say about the off season right now is that if Willy Taveras or a similar player is the Sox starting CF next year I'm breaking s***. The only role that Taveras should fill on a major league baseball team is as a designated pinch runner.

QUOTE (almagest @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 12:24 AM)

Thome was actually 1 of 4 players on the Sox to post a .300+ AVG with runners in scoring position this season. He also led the club in OPS with runners in scoring position and runners in scoring position with 2 outs situations.

Random thoughts

Jim Thome will be on the 2009 roster. His option kicked in. He doesn't want to be traded anywhere except Cleveland/Cubs and neither is happening. Therefore, either Dye or Konerko should be traded. With Konerko having a down year, unless a team is willing to give full value in return, I'd keep him for next year in hopes that he rebounds. If Tex doesn't sign with the Angels, I could see them being a good trading partner for Konerko. That leaves Dye as the odd man out. Best to trade him before he has a down year...

As much as I hate these types of players on my team, Troy Glaus would probably be available for the right price. With one year left on his contract and Brett Wallace waiting in the wings, he seems like a likely trade candidate for the Cards to upgrade at another position.

Not sure KW would depend on a reclamation project in the rotation. After winning the division this year, I think he'd go with someone more reliable. Which bring me to my next point...

Winning the division this year despite the dismal seasons of several regulars (Crede, Konerko, etc) makes it easier to trade away some of the older veterans while maintaining expectations of competing for the title again next year.

Despite the fact that Lowe is a Boras client, he's still 35 years old. I mean, how big of a contract could he expect to get? With the types of pitches he throws, he seems like a good fit for our ballpark. If the Sox could swing an inflated 3 year deal, why not?

Even though Vazquez has been dragged through the mud recently, I still don't see him being traded. Who would replace him plus fill the spot vacated by Contreras? I wouldn't trust the spot to Richard outright. If there was one starter I'd target as a buy-low, it would be Snell. This past year should have been a breakout year for him, but instead he took a nosedive. Bringing him aboard, I'd feel comfortable with him and Richard battling for the 5th spot.

I don't know what bullets the Sox have left in the minors to pull off trades. Poreda is probably our one trading chip that could pull something decent in return. Not sure if KW believes he's in his longterm plans or not. If his ceiling is a reliever, it might be a good time to let go. If he has a shot at the rotation, we have to develop him.

I don't know why people have a problem with Hudson at leadoff. His career OBP is .347. Over the past few years, it's been higher than that. I don't know how many people have actually looked up the number of players who have a high OBP and a high number of steals without a high number of HRs (if a player has a high number of HRs, he's likely NOT batting leadoff...), but there aren't a lot of those players, especially ones that are available. Hudson's defense at second is considered to be top notch as well. Hudson doesn't steal a ton, but he's not molasses. Furcal's sure to get more money/years anyway.

I'd love to get me some Nate McLouth.

I'd love to start turning over the old parts on our roster. Chances are it doesn't happen, but I'd applaud KW if it does.

Edited by Frank the Tank 35

Going into this offseason the sox need a CF, MI, 3B and a 4/5th starter.

With this post season berth and a young likable core the sox attendance and interest shouldn't slump, and now that the cubs milestone has come to pass their spotlight will diminish a little bit going into '09.

This year the sox did a great job of developing young players i would love to see that trend continue into '09.

Trade Javy Vazquez and Dotel too the Brewers, Relief pitching will continue to be a premium and no way the brewers can keep Ben and CC.

The Sox would get Hardy back and two prospects a 3B and C: two of the following Gamel/Green Lucroy/Salome

Hardy is going to continue to be ARB eligible and according to cot's; hes due for a raise beyond 2.65M and they have Alcides Escobar ready to step into SS. As for the prospects they've got depth at both positions in the minors and Bill Hall can always go back to SS if need be. They would be taking on 29M in contracts between both of them for 09/10. As for the prospects the sox system even with a good draft in 08 still needs a drastic overhaul.

Trade one of PK/Dye to the Angels/NYY for Figgins and prospects.

Go big and go after McClouth

Sign Garcia and Let Richard and others battle it out for 5th Starter

S Figgins 3B

R Hardy SS

L McClouth CF

R Quentin RF

L Thome DH

R Konerko 1B

S Swisher LF

R Ramirez 2B

L AJP C

Mark

John

Gavin

Freddy

Clayton

Jenks

Linebrink

Thornton

Carrasco

Russell

Broadway

Or Dodger, Angel, Giant. He supposedly wants to play on the West Coast and stay in the NL so we'll see.

I understand the risk stuff, but it's wild how the teams line up to sign the Zitos of the world. You would think the Yankees will give CC the biggest salary in baseball history as desperate as they must be to win. Bigger than A-Rods.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 12:16 AM)
Name a starting pitcher who received a 4+ year big money deal and was consistently good over the life of the contract.

Now name some starting pitchers who received 4+ year big money deals and BOMBED.

Sure CC looks like the exception but Mike Hampton and Barry Zito were also supposed to be fairly safe bets as well.

Mike Hampton went 8 years without suffering a single injury and was considered to be the most athletic pitcher in the game. When he signed his mega-deal with the Rockies in 2000 he was pretty much a better version of Mark Buehrle. (some would actually characterize CC the same way) 8 years later and that deal is considered to be the worst in the history of the game.

One of the last pitchers to pitch 500 innings over a 2 year span, including the playoffs, was Buehrle in 04-05. We all know how 06 ended up. I think I read that on rotoworld, and there were more examples than that, but I'm not positive...it's scary nonetheless.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 02:34 AM)
If Buerhle would've walked instead of resigning with us, he would've gotten an ACE-like contract, I have no doubt in my mind about that

And if he didn't, it would have been a complete joke. He's giving the Sox a huge hometown discount.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Oct 6, 2008 -> 11:32 PM)
Lineup

1. Chone Figgins CF

2. Alexei Ramirez 2B

3. Carlos Quentin LF

4. David Wright 3B

5. Jim Thome DH

6. Jermaine Dye RF

7. AJ Pierzynski C

8. Nick Swisher 1B

9. Juan Uribe SS

Rotation:

1. Mark Buehrle

2. John Danks

3. Pedro Martinez

4. Jose Contreras

5. Nick Adenhart

Bullpen:

R: Matt Thornton

R: Jose Arredondo

R: Scott Linebrink

R: Octavio Dotel

CL: Bobby Jenks

Gavin Floyd and Josh Fields for David Wright.

Javier Vazquez and Paul Konerko for Chone Figgins, Jose Arredondo and Nick Adenhart.

Sign Pedro Martinez

I love it because it's crazy.

That definitely makes our starting rotation worse.

Pedro and Contreras are garbage.

Trust me, I'd love to have Wright but who are we kidding lets keep this in the realm of realism, Floyd and Fields is just not enough for David.

QUOTE (beautox @ Oct 7, 2008 -> 01:08 AM)
Going into this offseason the sox need a CF, MI, 3B and a 4/5th starter.

With this post season berth and a young likable core the sox attendance and interest shouldn't slump, and now that the cubs milestone has come to pass their spotlight will diminish a little bit going into '09.

This year the sox did a great job of developing young players i would love to see that trend continue into '09.

Trade Javy Vazquez and Dotel too the Brewers, Relief pitching will continue to be a premium and no way the brewers can keep Ben and CC.

The Sox would get Hardy back and two prospects a 3B and C: two of the following Gamel/Green Lucroy/Salome

Hardy is going to continue to be ARB eligible and according to cot's; hes due for a raise beyond 2.65M and they have Alcides Escobar ready to step into SS. As for the prospects they've got depth at both positions in the minors and Bill Hall can always go back to SS if need be. They would be taking on 29M in contracts between both of them for 09/10. As for the prospects the sox system even with a good draft in 08 still needs a drastic overhaul.

Trade one of PK/Dye to the Angels/NYY for Figgins and prospects.

Go big and go after McClouth

Sign Garcia and Let Richard and others battle it out for 5th Starter

S Figgins 3B

R Hardy SS

L McClouth CF

R Quentin RF

L Thome DH

R Konerko 1B

S Swisher LF

R Ramirez 2B

L AJP C

Mark

John

Gavin

Freddy

Clayton

Jenks

Linebrink

Thornton

Carrasco

Russell

Broadway

I don't get all of this attention that Nate McClouth is getting. He's had one good season! I'm sure he has great potential going into the future, but I just don't see that the farm is worth him. Besides that I think this is a good post. I like most of the ideas you shared with us. The only thing is if we trade Dye to the Angels I think we should get Figgins/Adenhart/lower level prospect back for him. Then sign Freddy for the 4th or 5th spot.