Rumors: Sox/Reds Talking Dye for Bailey Swap

Dick Allen

I'm all for a Bailey deal. IMO, he projects well and has good upside. But looking to 2009, Bailey will likely spend half the year in AAA, ala Gavin Floyd, to correct things. Even if Bailey pitches well in AAA, he may take some lumps in the bigs in 2009. People forget Floyd took all of 2007 to correct things, with 1/2 a yr of sporting a 5.00+ ERA in Chicago.

Clayton Richard woud be ahead of Bailey heading into 2009, and more likely to earn a spot in the rotation. Of course, Bailey has more upside. Yet just going on who would likely help in 2009, Richard should be more effective and throw more innings in the bigs.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 12:14 AM)
They may not necessarily be giving up on Bailey, but instead getting the best out of a guy they don't even need. Check their rotation, it's great.

Harangatang ( A great pitcher coming off a bad year)

Arroyo (If they trade any pitcher it really should be him, but his 15 wins should trick the team into finding him worth keeping even though wins don't measure how good you are)

Cueto (Could have higher ceiling than Bailey)

Volquez (Amazing)

Owings (Good pitcher, good future, great bat)

They just lost their biggest bat in the lineup and they need someone to replace it. Dye would be perfect, and Bailey could be the key to get him here. Why hold onto Bailey? To form a six man rotation?

If the Reds project Bailey to be as good as some people on this board do, and from what I can tell, they aren't scouts either, but seem to rip people who aren't so high on him asking for their scouting credentials, I find it hard to believe they would trade him for a 35 year old OF, fading defensively without the luxury of making him a DH and is signed for one season. That said, I would trade Dye for Bailey if they used Dye's money for a capable replacement, thus making the trade Dye for Bailey + replacement. Then at least, if Bailey is a bust, its no skin of the White Sox backs.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 10:25 PM)
What team are you the scout for?

i'm not a scout but most of research is analyzing pitching mechanics and a great deal of my work experience is rehabbing injured pitchers and other athlets. I've worked with teams in most major sports at a variety of levels from children to the olympic level. I've seen enough ofthem to get a good idea what I'm looking at. Of course, none of it is pure science, but actually working with the athlete you get a good clue about them.

As I said before you would be making a mistake to ignore any aspect of evaluationas they all have their benefits and have their own value.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 12:16 AM)
Rock pretty much summed it up with his last post. I think I'm going to roll with Kenny and his crew over anybody from this board when it comes to scouting players.

this is the way it should be. This is what they do for a living and have been fairly successful at it.

Everyone can have an opinion and base it on whatever they wish. However, there is a difference between an informed opinion and an uniformed one. This is where the discussionon the board start. Also, everyone has different views on how to interpret the information. That is what's great about baseball. I go to conferences and sit with "experts" in the biomechanics field and there are many different theories on pitching mechanics. They all have advantages and disadvantages.

This is why discussion boards are fun until the name calling starts. Everyone has their own views most of which have some merit and you can learn alot if you have an open mind.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 09:50 AM)
Or Brandon McCarthy...followed closely by Jon Adkins, Alan Embree and Billy Koch.

Ah yes, the ol Apples and oranges discussion. Lets bring in the names of every failed pitcher as an example since they are all first round talents that were at one point one of the top prospects in the country.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
Ah yes, the ol Apples and oranges discussion. Lets bring in the names of every failed pitcher as an example since they are all first round talents that were at one point one of the top prospects in the country.

If you had to pick a siamese twin for Homer Bailey, Alan Embree would be it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
The Reds still have an offer out to Jerry Hairston Jr. He would fill a need at center field and leadoff hitter.

"There's not really a deadline," Jocketty said of Hairston. "We'd like to move a bit on that next week."

Wonder if Hairston's even close to being on KW's radar screen?

God I hope not.

NY Post says Yanks may explore a trade for Dye although they are on his NTC list:

Another option would be to obtain right-handed hitting outfielder Jermaine Dye, 35 next month, from the White Sox.

"He's available, but they aren't going to give him away," said a source with knowledge of Chicago's plan to get younger.

Dye has the Yankees among the six teams for which he can veto a trade, and it's not likely the Yankees would give him an extension (or pick up a $12 million option for 2010) to waive the no-trade clause.

Link

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
I know the Dye/Bailey deal looks dead but found this about Bailey's mechanics http://www.drivelinemechanics.com/2008/12/...chanics-homer-b . In short his mechanics don't look so good.

When you go 0-6 with an ERA close to 8 there's lots of things you can find that don't look good. Mechanics are easily correctable. As long as his stuff is still there he's a legitimate prospect.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
When you go 0-6 with an ERA close to 8 there's lots of things you can find that don't look good. Mechanics are easily correctable. As long as his stuff is still there he's a legitimate prospect.

Mechanics are not easily correctable. If they were, every pitcher would have flawless mechanics.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 11:34 AM)
Mechanics are not easily correctable. If they were, every pitcher would have flawless mechanics.

Every pitcher is different. You've got some guys that are just stubborn. Kinda like Kerry Wood all those years. Maybe easily wasn't the right word. But a good pitching coach+a pitcher's willingness to change and mechanics more times than not are fixable.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 15, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
Every pitcher is different. You've got some guys that are just stubborn. Kinda like Kerry Wood all those years. Maybe easily wasn't the right word. But a good pitching coach+a pitcher's willingness to change and mechanics more times than not are fixable.

Bailey has a reputation for not listening (at least, according to what I've read on the Reds message boards). It's the main reason they want to get him out.