Baseball Prospectus has Sox down for 74 wins

palehose23

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That projection is garbage. It says that the AL East will basically crush all of the MLB out of existence. I don't buy it. Whe the hell to the Orioles have that make them better than us or the Royals or Blue Jays for that matter. And we only finish 4 games ahead of the Mariners who may field one of the worst teams in recent memory next season?

Everyone doubted us last season too and look what happened. I'm not saying that we'll win the division but last place. C'mon, that's a joke, we did win the division last season and we even cut loose some dead weight in Swisher and O-Cab.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 02:59 AM)
That projection is garbage. It says that the AL East will basically crush all of the MLB out of existence. I don't buy it. Whe the hell to the Orioles have that make them better than us or the Royals or Blue Jays for that matter. And we only finish 4 games ahead of the Mariners who may field one of the worst teams in recent memory next season?

Everyone doubted us last season too and look what happened. I'm not saying that we'll win the division but last place. C'mon, that's a joke, we did win the division last season and we even cut loose some dead weight in Swisher and O-Cab.

Cabrera was hardly 'dead weight' last year. He may not have been the most likeable guy, but he was a big part of the division championship. Swisher, not so much.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 03:03 AM)
Cabrera was hardly 'dead weight' last year. He may not have been the most likeable guy, but he was a big part of the division championship. Swisher, not so much.

yep, he stepped up to be a decent leadoff hitter when we didnt have the 'traditional leadoff man' at the top. That is what worries me about this team... who will be the untraditional leadoff hitter this year? Getz, Lillybridge? Owens? These guys havent even had a full year of MLB experience.

They did say the Sox would lose 90 in 2007, but they have also been wrong before. The problem with depending on young players asking them to perform at a level they have not performed, is some, if not most, are bound to fail. 2008 was an exception. Hopefully, those guys can continue to grow or at least maintain their performance levels. One thing I do know, is the White Sox should have better team than they have had the last few years if they ever get back to a $120 million payroll.

that makes sense. as of this point we are relying on unproven guys in a number of key positions. i'm not sure how you could look at a team with two big question marks in the rotation, one in centerfield and two in the infield and project anything more than mediocrity/poor play.

we outperformed expectations last year largely because cq, danks, floyd, and ramirez far exceeded expectations and did things you could not possibly quantify in preseason. if that happens again with marquez, owens, fields/viciedo, and nix/getz/lillibridge then maybe we win the division. if all or some of those guys flame out, then 74 wins or less is realistic (likely?).

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
It'll be hilarious if the Sox have the fifth worst record in baseball. Then we can have another summer of hoping the team tanks in order to receive the highest draft pick possible! Hell, it got us Beckham.

actually i think it wouldn't be hilarious at all. i'd find little humor in my favorite team being completely inept.

Vegas and other projections had roughly the same number last year and the Sox out performed. The main reason for the numbers the last two years IMO are the back of the rotation. Last year Danks and Floyd were HUGE questionmarks and again the Sox find themselves with questions at 4 and 5.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Feb 10, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
He better get in front of the damn ball! Don't give us that "olé" bulls***!

I have it right here in my contract that I dont have to do any calesthenics(sp?) or excercises that i dont deem necessary......