Sox sign Podsednik to MLC

Sockin

Podsednik was signed to take Jerry Owens' place in Charlotte. He's not going to be starting in CF for the Sox anytime soon, and then only if Anderson doesn't produce and Owens doesn't either, and no one else becomes available.

I have no problem with this signing, and I think it's great that the Sox can do Pods a favor.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 07:44 PM)
Podsednik was signed to take Jerry Owens' place in Charlotte. He's not going to be starting in CF for the Sox anytime soon, and then only if Anderson doesn't produce and Owens doesn't either, and no one else becomes available.

I have no problem with this signing, and I think it's great that the Sox can do Pods a favor.

I don't think they would sign Pods for Charlotte. I don't think Pods would want to spend his entire summer there. I know they have been disenchanted with Owens and Owens sucked in Charlotte. Jerry is in Chicago until Pods is ready to play IMO. I still think BA will be the starter, but maybe KW is hoping Pods can turn back the clock for a couple of weeks. BTW, all the Kroeger lovers seem to be hiding. He's 0 for 15 for the Knights.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Sockin @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 10:37 AM)

With out Rock Raines to teach Jerry Owens how to steal baes I like the move with the sox getting Pods back. If he is healthy and it does happen, Pods could really add a true threat on the base paths. And that threat on the bases is what makes an offensive like the sox go. I know Ozzie would love it. Bottom line this move cannot hurt.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 01:12 AM)
What if Pods comes back, plays, hits .290 with a .350 OBP, steals 50+ bases and gets voted into the all-star game?

I take it what you mean by this is... would people retract their statements being made here since the news broke and make williams out to be a genius? Yes, the majority. Would they be in the right? No.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 02:02 AM)
I take it what you mean by this is... would people retract their statements being made here since the news broke and make williams out to be a genius? Yes, the majority. Would they be in the right? No.

Sane people would retract their statements, however, the majority of "the sky is falling" Soxtalkers wouldn't, which I know is contrary to you saying the majority would, while reality dictates that no...they wouldn't, and you know it.

I know it.

And everybody here knows it.

I hope BA shines with this opportunity, I really do. Furthermore, I hope Pods comes up and is a star bench player for LF/CF days off, pinch running situations, etc. However, if it doesn't work out as planned and Pods comes in and plays a average or even below average CF while batting .300+ with a .365OBP and becomes a menace on the base paths leading to wins because of how much he distracts opposing pitchers, I won't complain about that, either.

Whatever happens, I just hope for the best for the team.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 09:45 PM)
I don't think they would sign Pods for Charlotte. I don't think Pods would want to spend his entire summer there. I know they have been disenchanted with Owens and Owens sucked in Charlotte. Jerry is in Chicago until Pods is ready to play IMO. I still think BA will be the starter, but maybe KW is hoping Pods can turn back the clock for a couple of weeks. BTW, all the Kroeger lovers seem to be hiding. He's 0 for 15 for the Knights.

Oz had this to say in the Trib:

he Rockies waived Podsednik, 33, two weeks ago. He stole 59 bases for the Sox in 2005, and he's expected to join Charlotte shortly.

"It's nice," Guillen said of the Podsednik signing. "It's something to back up something here if it goes wrong or if it doesn't go the way we want to. He's going to play center field there in case we need him up here. It's good news. I think a lot of his teammates wanted it."

Despite what this says I'm sure he will end up with the Sox once he gets acclimated again. All he'd be doing in Charlotte is taking away playing time from other guys or sitting on the bench.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 06:55 AM)
There's been people asking him back since last year and Feburary, wll they go their wish.

He can be tossed in with Everett and the Alomar brothers jokes now.

I don't recall a clamouring for the return of Pods. I never liked him, even when a lot thought he was MVP material with a 700 ops leading the league in CS, but he's worth a minor league contract right now if the only other option is Jerry Owens. Owens, if he came to spring training and just showed he wanted the job, would be the everyday CF right now. He didn't. I think the last place White Sox management wants Jerry Owens right now is on the major league roster because he has done nothing they have asked of him and hasn't earned his way. He'll be gone to Charlotte once Pods is ready IMO. Pods is better than Jerry and Jerry gets taught a lesson.

I'm by far the biggest Pods critic on this board. I really would prefer someone better than him, but KW doesn't want to spend any money. At least he will bring in someone better than Owens. Maybe KW is reluctant to bring in a long term answer because he sees Ramirez in CF sooner rather than later. They love Getz, and with Beckham coming fast, he probably feels he just needs to plug the hole until Beckham's ready.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)

well everything he mentioned, cowley said that last night on the score. doesnt appear we will be seeing pods :(

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
That is all you need to hear. Owens will play above Anderson as Guillen has gone completly overboard with the leftie/rightie thing.

..i dont know, ozzie doesnt seem to be too thrilled with owens, based on his comments about owens being called up the other day. im sure ba will be the starter but i hope we dont see much of owens...i guess we'll see what happens.>great interview with ozzie btw, rerun at 11pm

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 08:40 AM)
..i dont know, ozzie doesnt seem to be too thrilled with owens, based on his comments about owens being called up the other day. im sure ba will be the starter but i hope we dont see much of owens...i guess we'll see what happens.>great interview with ozzie btw, rerun at 11pm

Love the Pods avatar.

Ozzie can't say that Owens is just temporary until Pods gets a hit or two, steals a bag, and plays center a couple of games. He has to say it is Owens just in case Pods does suck in AAA or pulls a groin getting out of his car. Ozzie saying that the team wanted Pods back also hints to me that Pods will be on the 25 man soon.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Apr 15, 2009 -> 08:46 AM)
Ozzie can't say that Owens is just temporary until Pods gets a hit or two, steals a bag, and plays center a couple of games. He has to say it is Owens just in case Pods does suck in AAA or pulls a groin getting out of his car. Ozzie saying that the team wanted Pods back also hints to me that Pods will be on the 25 man soon.

Exactly. If Ozzie spills the truth and says Pods will be replacing Owens in a week, Owens becomes even less useful than he already is. Ozzie did say when the Wise injury happened that Owens would be recalled for "a few days". I think he let the cat out of the bag.