GM Ken Williams criticizes pitchers for not protecting hitters

Wanne

General manager Ken Williams called out his own pitching staff for not protecting White Sox hitters.

"You can't allow other teams to pitch inside and knock your players down and not reciprocate," Williams said Thursday, mindful that Sox batters have been drilled 14 times, compared to their opponents getting nailed four times.

"You can't do it. You have to establish the inside part of the plate and move hitters off the plate to open it up more. If you don't do that and allow the other team to do it to your hitters, then you're losing at both ends."

This has pissed me off for the past 3 years and needs to stop. Tell ya what...next time the Sox play the Royals...somebody needs to get drilled. Piss and moan all you want that it's bush league and all...but it is part of the game. I'm just tired of seeing the Sox get drilled time and time again and nothing is done about it (as it sounds like Kenny is too.)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 8, 2009 -> 12:56 AM)
No, this stuff is for losers. How about actually beating KC, that helps a lot more than some silly ass bean ball war that leads to suspensions/fines/and embarrassment.

It's not about being "sore losers",it's about you drill my team mate,I'll drill yours...baseball has always been that way until recently that it's been pussified.Can't stand good old fashion chin music and bean balls?Go watch underhand softball.

QUOTE (Cali @ May 8, 2009 -> 01:34 AM)
I just really dont want Colon drilling someone from the Royals in the back then getting tossed by an over zealous ump and than Carrasco/Richard have to "start"...

I know what you mean, but there has to be some purpose pitches to the Royals next series

No, this stuff is for losers. How about actually beating KC, that helps a lot more than some silly ass bean ball war that leads to suspensions/fines/and embarrassment.

My thoughts exactly.

When you recipricate by hitting their players does that ever stop anything? Will that permanently keep them from pitching inside? Nope. It pretty much just says that you care more about trying to make a statement that you desire to defend your player (which doesn't actually defend your player, just instead brings a respectful game to a childlike level) than trying to win your game(s). There is never any real benefit from hitting another teams batter in response to them hitting you, however there are always cons to hitting their players.

It may be part of the game, but that doesn't mean its worth doing.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ May 7, 2009 -> 11:36 PM)
My thoughts exactly.

When you recipricate by hitting their players does that ever stop anything? Will that permanently keep them from pitching inside? Nope. It pretty much just says that you care more about trying to make a statement that you desire to defend your player (which doesn't actually defend your player, just instead brings a respectful game to a childlike level) than trying to win your game(s). There is never any real benefit from hitting another teams batter in response to them hitting you, however there are always cons to hitting their players.

It may be part of the game, but that doesn't mean its worth doing.

you're right - they should just keep turning the other cheek. If KC or TEX wants to keep beaning the Sox then the Sox should just take the high road and not retaliate at all. The tradition of standing up for your players may be over a hundred years old but it's high time we bid hi-diddly-bye to it.

nedflanders.jpg

You don't have to square up a 90 mph 4 seamer into someone's temple, but a little chin music never hurt anyone. Just as a fair warning, you keep hitting our guys (potentially injuring them) and we'll do something about it. We've got two guys in our pen that can touch triple digits if they want to keep plunking our sluggers.

Yes, Quentin stands right on top of the plate, and we've lost Getz and Dye for stretches because of bean balls.

I think these comments are also another pointed barb at both Floyd and Contreras, who have always seemed to be "nice" guys who were hesitant to really come inside against opposing pitchers.

Part of it's intimidation, taking care of your own...the Tigers (Perry) must have thrown 4 head-high inside fastballs. Greinke does it all the time, although with a lot more control, but it's about "bonding" your offense and pitching staff together as well.

It shouldn't be one of those Sean Tracey/Jon Garland scenes...but if we show the hitters that we have their backs, it's like "assured mutual destruction" or "nuclear deterrence." You have to do it. The other team will stop doing it, knowing they might get kicked out or end up having to fight a team with the likes of Quentin (nobody would want to fight THAT guy, trust me), Dye, Thome, AJ, Jenks, etc., we've got some big and tighly-wound guys on our team.

Not to mention if you get a warning blanket thrown over a game, it prevents a pitcher like Greinke or Perry from resorting to those tactics unless they want to get run out of the game, and Zach's too important to their team to sacrifice himself or get suspended.

As mentioned above, you're going to remember if it Matt Thornton hits you in the back or kidney like Pujoles the other day.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 8, 2009 -> 01:56 AM)

It's not about that. At all. It's about standing up for your teammates and letting other teams know that they can't come inside, knock your guys down or hit them free of any consequences. I, too have noticed that it seems we've been hit a lot this year. It's not about tit for tat, it's about protecting your teammates. That doesnt mean you have to throw a heater at someones head either.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 8, 2009 -> 07:13 AM)
It's not about that. At all. It's about standing up for your teammates and letting other teams know that they can't come inside, knock your guys down or hit them free of any consequences. I, too have noticed that it seems we've been hit a lot this year. It's not about tit for tat, it's about protecting your teammates. That doesnt mean you have to throw a heater at someones head either.

Bingo.

Dye could have been lost for the year. The reason being because both Texas and Kansas City throw inside and the Sox do nothing about it. Have you ever noticed how comfortable they seem to be at the plate. Pitching inside forces players to move their feet and makes them uncomfortable.

This is not a macho thing about who can hit who it is about not letting players dig in and get comfortable. Sammy Sosa was famous for digging in. In the 50'and 60's if you dug in like that you were getting drilled.

You cna throw inside and not hit a guy that is more about what Floyd needs to do.

I agree. The last couple of years KC has been throwing at our hitters without consequence. After watching Greinke once again throw chin music to a Sox hitter this week, I started thinking what's it gonna take for the Sox to answer this. I'm concerned someone is going to get seriously hurt. When the ball starts getting up around someone's head, things start to get dangerous. It seems to me KC, and others, will just keep doing this as long as the Sox let it go on. Even a passivist at times, must defend their ground.

But how does it help win you ball games? You know what also helps you stand up for your teammate? Getting 2 out base hits and picking up the pitcher with good defense. Beanball wars usually lead to premature ejections, and with our bullpen right now, I'd love to stay out of it as often as possible.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ May 8, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
If this stuff is for losers, why is KC in first place?

Because it's May 8th. That team will come back to Earth.

Because it's May 8th. That team will come back to Earth.

Possibly. But people need to also consider the possibility that things go right for them this year and they stay on top/near the top of the division all year. The way they're playing now may not be a fluke.

At least from the extracted snippet, I don't think KW was saying that the Sox pitchers need to bean the opposing team. He was saying that the inside part of the plate needs to be established. Sure, it is about intimidation. Just because you throw inside doesn't mean you're trying to bean someone.

On a side note, remember the brawl between the Sox and Tigers that rejuvenated the season? Not saying we need that, but what happened there was the players sticking up for each other. I don't like to see the brawls, but they happen.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 8, 2009 -> 09:55 AM)
But how does it help win you ball games?

Really? That's already been answered but I'll go for it again.

By responding to the tactics being used against us, it will limit the other team from consistently doing it, thus allowing our hitters to feel a little more comfortable in the bpx and there's a little less. If team A knows they can brush back team B's hitters all day while their own team has nothing to worry about, they will have a significant mental advantage at the plate.

You know what also helps you stand up for your teammate? Getting 2 out base hits and picking up the pitcher with good defense.

No, not really actually. That's like saying Martin Havlat stood up for his teammates last night b/c he scored the tieing goal late in the 3rd. Valuable and essential to teams? Absolutely. Does it equate to "standing up for your teammates" as the thread is about? Absolutely not. Totally different things there.

Beanball wars usually lead to premature ejections, and with our bullpen right now, I'd love to stay out of it as often as possible.

Again, you can brush back the other team to send a message without engaging in bean ball wars. (Which has been said multiple times already)

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 8, 2009 -> 08:55 AM)
But how does it help win you ball games?

As has been stated a couple of times already, it make you uncomfortable as a hitter. If you have to look inside you can not dive over the plate for the outside pitch unless you are Carlos Quinten.

I bet you arent in favor of fighting in hockey either. Self policing in sports is something I am very in favor of doing, especially since AL pitchers dont have to face 90 mph fastballs at the plate.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 7, 2009 -> 10:56 PM)

Bulls*** it is. Talk to any old school pitcher and they'll tell you the importance of protecting your hitters and pitching inside. I was taught at a young age there is nothing wrong with hitting someone, as long as its because your protecting your teammates or more importantly establishing the inside of the plate. And I know I hit a lot of guys during all my years of pitching (despite having great control my entire, short-lived, career).