MARK BUEHRLE PITCHES THE 18TH PERFECT GAME IN HISTORY

southsider2k5

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 12:42 AM)
http://www.thefightins.com/meechone/the-ph...s-perfect-game/

Link to the Phils watching the Wise catch

That's actually really cool. The Phillies have one of the better clubhouses in the league . Some great personalites with a nice love for the game. Anyone else hear someone shout"Dewayne Wise Motherf***er!" about 15 second into the clip?

Edited by Thunderbolt

Selfishly, I hope Mark plays past 2011 and even beyond, because to me he's a guy that could pitch into his 40's and build a no doubt hall of fame resume. Such a great pitcher and such a likable guy, it was a pure joy to watch him throw a perfect game today. The most exciting non September/October Sox game I have ever seen by far.

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 12:20 AM)
A look at the Phillies clubhouse as they were watching the game:

Ignore me, I obviously didn't read the last page where it was posted twice :ph34r:

That made me smile actually. Knowing Buehrle actually is appreciated by SOME people other than us White Sox fans. :gosoxretro:

Edited by TitoMB345

Don't know if this has been posted here yet (or something similar) but here's my breakdown on what the count was when the out was recorded, as well as the number of "hard hit" balls (by my judgement).

Counts that Outs were Recorded on:

h -> represents "hard hit" balls

k -> represents a strike out, looking or otherwise

0-0 **** (4)

0-1 h (1)

0-2 **k (3)

1-0 (0)

1-1 * (1)

1-2 *k (2)

2-0 * (1)

2-1 **** (4)

2-2 kh*k*h (6)

3-0 (0)

3-1 (0)

3-2 *k**k (5)

Counts that Strikeouts were Recorded on:

s -> swinging strikeout

L -> called strikeout

0-2 L (2)

1-2 s (1)

2-2 ss (2)

3-2 ss (2)

Some interesting trends. Buehrle recorded 6 outs while ahead in the count, and 11 while even in the count. He got 10 outs while behind in the count, 5 of which came with a full count. Of those 5 full counts, he struck out 2.

He only had 3 "hard hit" balls, none of which came with a full count. He owned one hitter with a K looking on an 0-2 count.

My analysis:

Pretty absolutely dominating performance. The 2 strike outs on the full counts is pretty impressive, showing he can get the K when he needs to. He recorded 17 of the 27 outs, 62.9% of the outs, while ahead or even in the count. I'm not sure where that ranks with other pefect games, but it seems like a pretty freakin' good number. So glad to have witnessed most of this game via some form of media. GO BUEHRLE!!

EDIT: blah, it doesn't keep my spacing. No paragraph mode?

Edited by TitoMB345

Just was wonderful to watch the highlights of MB's perfect game and how he was working.

So many groundball outs, not allowing the Rays to get any momentum off him whatsoever.

He's been a joy to watch for many, many years, and there was a time a few seasons ago when Buehrle was struggling and people were wondering whether we had seen the best of him. Luckily, that wasn't the case.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 23, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
How many pitchers have thrown to the minimum twice in their career?

I dont know if this was responded too earlier but isnt this the 3rd time Buehrle has faced the minimum. I could of swore against the tribe he only allowed 2 baserunners both that got out on double plays. That was also the first game Grady Sizemore ever played in if my memory is right.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 06:43 AM)
I dont know if this was responded too earlier but isnt this the 3rd time Buehrle has faced the minimum. I could of swore against the tribe he only allowed 2 baserunners both that got out on double plays. That was also the first game Grady Sizemore ever played in if my memory is right.

Yes, on the radio they said its the third time because of what you said: a 2 hitter vs the tribe in which both runners were taken care of via double play.

It really does not get better than what he did yesterday

Hey Kalapse/Qwerty, has an AL pitcher ever hit a homerun and thrown a no-hitter(much less a perfect game) in the same year?

Edited by KyYlE23

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 24, 2009 -> 06:58 AM)
Yes, on the radio they said its the third time because of what you said: a 2 hitter vs the tribe in which both runners were taken care of via double play.

It really does not get better than what he did yesterday

Hey Kalapse/Qwerty, has an AL pitcher ever hit a homerun and thrown a no-hitter(much less a perfect game) in the same year?

Cy young hit one in 1904. Frank smith hit one in 1905. Joe wood hit two in 1991. In 1917 babe ruth pitched 0 innings of a complete game in which ernie shore no-hit washington. Ruth hit two home runs that season while shore hit none. Walter johnson hit one in 1920. Wes ferrell hit nine in 1931. Bob feller hit two in 1940. Bob lemon hit five in 1948. Virgil trucks hit one in 1952. Don larson hit two in 1956 which was the year he threw his perfect game. Earl wilson hit three in 1962. Jack kralick hit two in 1962. Tom phoebus hit two in 1968. Catfish hunter hit one in 1968 which was the year he threw his perfect game. Clyde wright hit two in 1970. Vida blue hit one in 1970.

Buehrle is the first to hit a home run and throw a no hitter/perfect game since the dh was introduced in 1973.