The What's Wrong with Rios Thread

hi8is

If everyone is down on Nix, isn't his being around 750 OPS for a middle infielder the equivalent of Swisher as a 1B/DH/RF/LF player at 850?

How does Swisher solve anything for this team if he's not capable of playing CF on an everyday basis?

He is better than Quentin and Dye offensively and defensively this season. He would also solve next years corner OF problem. Quentin, Rios, Swisher would be pretty good.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)
If everyone is down on Nix, isn't his being around 750 OPS for a middle infielder the equivalent of Swisher as a 1B/DH/RF/LF player at 850?

How does Swisher solve anything for this team if he's not capable of playing CF on an everyday basis?

Swisher can play corner OF, 1B, or obviously DH. Every team has a spot for an .850 OPS guy that can rotate amongst those positions. The problem with Swisher on the White Sox is he is a slower, home run hitting, big time strikeout guy on a team full of them already. You can only have so many of those type guys....not that I wouldn't have rather kept him than some of the guys that we did...

As for Nix, his problem is the massive disparity between his effectiveness against righties versus lefties. He is very good against lefties, but can't hit righties at all. You'll face more righties over the course of a season and so he just cannot be an everyday player. His performance is such that you must platoon him and therefore his value is limited because of limited roster space.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
He is better than Quentin and Dye offensively and defensively this season. He would also solve next years corner OF problem. Quentin, Rios, Swisher would be pretty good.

Quentin was hurt for much of the year, and Dye is a free agent. Sure, Swisher may have contributed one or two more wins to the team than Dye or Quentin, but how does that affect the future of the organization?

Exactly.

It's nice to say that in hindsight, but why not say, "if we had traded for Edwin Jackson" and "if Cabrera came back" and Getz, Nix and possibly Beckham never even ended up playing with the Sox this year, particularly Nix and Getz...

Well, when KW does sign another LH power hitter (maybe it's Thome for $4-6 million), then we can talk about whether Swisher would be better than that option, keeping in mind his escalating salary...and the fact that Quentin and Swisher in the OF limits where you can have a leadoff man coming from...it basically forces Pods off the team and makes Getz/Nix, Ramirez or Beckham your defacto 2010 OD starter in the 1 hole.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 11:33 PM)
Exactly.

It's nice to say that in hindsight, but why not say, "if we had traded for Edwin Jackson" and "if Cabrera came back" and Getz, Nix and possibly Beckham never even ended up playing with the Sox this year, particularly Nix and Getz...

Well, when KW does sign another LH power hitter (maybe it's Thome for $4-6 million), then we can talk about whether Swisher would be better than that option, keeping in mind his escalating salary...and the fact that Quentin and Swisher in the OF limits where you can have a leadoff man coming from...it basically forces Pods off the team and makes Getz/Nix, Ramirez or Beckham your defacto 2010 OD starter in the 1 hole.

Rios is 6'7 and Dye is 6'6. Michael Jordan didn't make it baseball I thought because of his height. When we got Dye I thought he was going to have the same problem as Jordan but Dye has been a very effective hitter that has had occasional slumps. But when he's hot he's hot. I understand that Dye uses a light bat, I believe someone in this forum mentioned that perhaps Rios should have a lighter bat. that may work. It may give him a larger hitting zone. Rwemember short and quick.

Edited by forrestg

Exactly.

Well, when KW does sign another LH power hitter (maybe it's Thome for $4-6 million), then we can talk about whether Swisher would be better than that option, keeping in mind his escalating salary...and the fact that Quentin and Swisher in the OF limits where you can have a leadoff man coming from...it basically forces Pods off the team and makes Getz/Nix, Ramirez or Beckham your 2010 OD starter in the 1 hole.

That's why I mentioned the salary being an issue. I would rather have Swisher and his career .360 OBP and career .460 SLG rather than Pods and his career OBP of .340 and career SLG of .380. Those stats are more important than steals for a leadoff hitter. Swisher is a much better player than Pods.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 12:07 AM)
That's why I mentioned the salary being an issue. I would rather have Swisher and his career .360 OBP and career .460 SLG rather than Pods and his career OBP of .340 and career SLG of .380. Those stats are more important than steals for a leadoff hitter. Swisher is a much better player than Pods.

Yeah, I think pretty much anyone could have told you that.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
But the question is can Walk fix him? Do we even want Walk back next year? I believe the guy can mash. He just needs the proper coaching. Can you guys imagine if Rios plays up to his full potential AND TCQ plays like he did in 2008 next year? Wow...

...and what if I win the lottery next week! That'd be awesome too!

He is lost out there, but I think that's more of him trying to hard. Next year, after he doesn't have to earn playing time and Ozzie tells him to just relax and play, he should, I repeat...should, get back to being a very good player. Plus, he's a huge upgrade in defense, which is always a good thing for this team.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 05:25 PM)
He is lost out there, but I think that's more of him trying to hard. Next year, after he doesn't have to earn playing time and Ozzie tells him to just relax and play, he should, I repeat...should, get back to being a very good player. Plus, he's a huge upgrade in defense, which is always a good thing for this team.

He played for the Blue Jays. There has not been a much better team out there where you could relax and play than them as they are a winning team, but play in a division where they are not expected to do anything. He could relax and not worry about pressing for his team to make the playoffs because he's never been in a pennant race. Regardless, he's not been very good the past 3 years.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 05:30 PM)
Regardless, he's not been very good the past 3 years.

2007, .852 OPS, 122 OPS+

2008, .798 OPS, 111 OPS+

2009, yeah, he's been awful, especially with us. But even in 2008 he was an above-average performer with the bat. 2007 he was a deserving all star. by OPS+ 2007 was the best season of his career.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 07:36 PM)
2007, .852 OPS, 122 OPS+

2008, .798 OPS, 111 OPS+

2009, yeah, he's been awful, especially with us. But even in 2008 he was an above-average performer with the bat. 2007 he was a deserving all star. by OPS+ 2007 was the best season of his career.

Okay, 2 years. 111+OPS is nothing to write home about. The biggest problems I see with him are that his head doesn't move with the ball, only the eyes, which can be okay if you're able to look directly down at the ball with your eyes when it's at the plate, which he can't because he's so tall. That causes a ton of huge swing and misses. His bat speed is okay and his stance, though kinda goofy for a guy that tall, is actually a smart one since it allows him to level his shoulders moreso with the plane of the ball, creates a smaller strike zone, and allows him to see the ball better coming out of the pitchers hand(eye level). If you notice, Dye does the same thing, except not as extreme. He bends his front foot inwards and his back leg inward as well. Rios though, more so sits kind of like Aaron Rowand. Both have the same idea though.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 8, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
He played for the Blue Jays. There has not been a much better team out there where you could relax and play than them as they are a winning team, but play in a division where they are not expected to do anything. He could relax and not worry about pressing for his team to make the playoffs because he's never been in a pennant race. Regardless, he's not been very good the past 3 years.

True, but he, Vernon Wells and Roy Halladay were supposed to be the saviors of that team. The ones that would help them get over the Red Sox/Yankee hump. With the Sox (if they back up their talk), they'd rather win with pitching and defense, which would take some pressure off of Rios when it comes to hitting.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 05:45 PM)
True, but he, Vernon Wells and Roy Halladay were supposed to be the saviors of that team. The ones that would help them get over the Red Sox/Yankee hump. With the Sox (if they back up their talk), they'd rather win with pitching and defense, which would take some pressure off of Rios when it comes to hitting.

so he is now our savior? :unsure: I want to him to hit also. He was always put out there a s 5 tool player and I know he was long coveted by KW. I have no problem with him being on this team, but I don't want to be paying $60M for a glove man that basically ends up being a defensive replacement.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
Like they don't already. I am glad we did manage to replace Brian Anderson and Joe Crede as the most polarizing players on this team though.

First 10 posts after the eventual error will include the words "worthless", "overpaid", and "pathetic". Did I miss any others?