Marcus Jordan - Adidas Situation

So, he was wearing Jordans during an exhibition game. And Adidas will not renew their contract with UCF. I think this pretty much proves to me that the university agreed to that clause during recruiting.

A fight over the shoes Michael Jordan's son will wear at the University of Central Florida has cost the school any future sponsorship with adidas.

"The University of Central Florida has chosen not to deliver on their contractual commitment to adidas," adidas spokeswoman Andrea Corso wrote in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "As a result we have chosen not to continue our relationship with them moving forward."

Freshman guard Marcus Jordan wore a pair of white Air Jordans during UCF's exhibition game against Saint Leo on Wednesday night, the Orlando Sentinel reported on its Web site. Jordan has said he will only wear his father's Nike Air Jordan shoes because they hold special meaning to his family.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 4, 2009 -> 10:41 PM)
Well Nike already said they had no plans in adding UCF to their roster since they already have Miami, FSU and UF but I wonder if Jordan will talk them into adding UCF now.

I could see it now.

*Michael walks in*

Nike: Look, Michael, we already said no since we have so many other schools under contract.

MJ: But it's my shoe, and my son. I am not afraid to publicly denounce Nikes. I'm not afraid to denounce anyone.

*UCF gets Nike deal*

Edited by Quinarvy

way to go jordan. Pretty selfish move to cost your school the contract that supplies all its teams with their athletic gear cause you want to wear your daddys shoes. I'm sure Nike was so concerned whether or not a crappy player on a crappy conference USA team was wearing their shoes.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
way to go jordan. Pretty selfish move to cost your school the contract that supplies all its teams with their athletic gear cause you want to wear your daddys shoes. I'm sure Nike was so concerned whether or not a crappy player on a crappy conference USA team was wearing their shoes.

You work for UCF or something? Either that or Marcus Jordan came in & pissed in your cereal this morning...

From what I understand part of his recruitment to that school was him wearing the shoes of his choice, so dont put any blame on Jordan, the school dug its own hole.

He was told during the recruiting process that the shoes were fine. It would be like selling your house for 300k. You go to the closing and the buyer has 250k. You should still do the deal or your a jagoff, right?

The university wanted a Jordan on their basketball team and thought this pub was worth more than the shoe contract. Lay off the kid, he did nothing wrong.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 08:56 PM)
If that's the case, I wonder if UCF might have a case against Adidas.

Well the current contract expires this year and there was a verbal agreement to extend the contract for 6? more seasons.

In the end, UCF will benefit from this. Either Nike will give them a deal or they can jump to Under Armour. I'm sure UA would love to get the business of UCF since they have the highest enrollment in the state and one of the highest in the country.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 07:51 PM)
UCF told Jordan he could wear his dad's shoes because their adidas regional rep said it was ok. Then adidas corporate stepped in and said no.

I heard that on talk radio this morning. If you ask me, it sounds like a s***ty shoe company trying to save two million dollars.

wow, looks like I am in the minority on this. I understand UCF might have told him he could wear the Nikes, but sorry it didnt work out with Adidas, sorry. You are still a scholarship student-athlete at a university, they are paying for your education. (I realize he could pay for it himself, but being a scholarship student-athlete is a privilege, not a right.) Adidas provides the university with athletic gear for every sport, and now they canceled the contract so you can wear your daddys shoes.

Exactly, its his Dad's shoes, I would do the same thing he did. They lied to him and he called them on it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 02:26 PM)
I agree that it is entirely UCF's fault, but I think most people in Jordan's position (after learning that Adidas will pull their sponsorship of the school) would just do what is best for his team and school.

How is it entirely UCF's fault if their adidas reps gave them the ok for Jordan to wear his dad's shoes?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 6, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
wow, looks like I am in the minority on this. I understand UCF might have told him he could wear the Nikes, but sorry it didnt work out with Adidas, sorry. You are still a scholarship student-athlete at a university, they are paying for your education. (I realize he could pay for it himself, but being a scholarship student-athlete is a privilege, not a right.) Adidas provides the university with athletic gear for every sport, and now they canceled the contract so you can wear your daddys shoes.

Marcus told them upfront if he couldn't wear the Nikes he couldn't play at their school. He shouldn't be obligated at all to wear the Adidas and the university obviously agrees or they would have had him sit in street clothes rather than risk losing the contract. Obviously they are either sticking by their word and/or feel having a Jordan on their basketball team is more lucrative than the shoe contract. I do find it odd that a shoe company could possibly make money off contracts like the one in play here with this particular school.

Do you think that if he agreed to wear the Adidas there was any chance that Adidas would not promote the fact that even MJ's kid is wearing Adidas? The school was wrong if they didn't get the proper OK, but Adidas is real slimy if a lower level person gave the OK and then upper management changed their mind.

Edited by Dick Allen

There was an article in The Orlando Sentinel referencing a few players from different schools and sports, including a couple of UCF football players, who wore Nike shoes while their respective school were sponsored by adidas and adidas didnt care. If his name was Marcus Jackson instead of Marcus Jordan then adidas wouldnt care.

Jordan also wore plain white Jordans with no visible logo on the shoe. In pictures, the only logo you can see is the adidas logo on his ankle braces.

50297471.jpg

All these agreements, Jordan and the school, the school and Adidas, are all worth the money they were written on. Kudos to Nike to make a shoe without logos, seems like a nice gesture to Adidas. Nike could not say publicly, hey if Adidas drops you, we will take over, that seems a little slimy. But will anyone be surprised when Nike steps in and plays the role of savior?

Frankly, I would be really shocked if Nike wasn't pulling some of the strings in his decision, etc.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 02:33 PM)
There was an article in The Orlando Sentinel referencing a few players from different schools and sports, including a couple of UCF football players, who wore Nike shoes while their respective school were sponsored by adidas and adidas didnt care. If his name was Marcus Jackson instead of Marcus Jordan then adidas wouldnt care.

Jordan also wore plain white Jordans with no visible logo on the shoe. In pictures, the only logo you can see is the adidas logo on his ankle braces.

50297471.jpg

I am 100% in Jordan's camp, now. He went out of his way to make it as inconspicuous as possible, and put an ADIDAS logo right above the shoe. We all want to pay homage to our fathers, and he has done nothing wrong in this situation.