Sox acquire Mark Teahen, $$$ for Getz/Fields

pmcochr

Teahan is a butcher in the field (according to the numbers, can't say I've seen him all that much with my eyes) and an average bat. I can't say I'm too excited about this deal, but I haven't looked at it all that closely. That being said, they had nearly identical WARs last year while Getz was a rookie, so.. yeah.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes no sense with all the speed talk-Getz stole 25.

I dont know about Retherfords speed-but thats confusing. And mark T dont have a great arm.

He did kill Buehrle though and hit well in the Cell-

I see him at 3rd with Ramierez going back to second-where we won a division with him there

Not sure what to think yet. Im not a huge fan of having Teahen replacing Dye, and I dont really want Nix starting yet. I also love CJ but think he needs another half year or so still. So depending on the moves that follow this I will really like it or I will really dislike it (I cant hate it, because Getz is a nice player to have but wont explode enough to really hurt you).

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 09:36 AM)
Makes no sense with all the speed talk-Getz stole 25.

I dont know about Retherfords speed-but thats confusing. And mark T dont have a great arm.

He did kill Buehrle though and hit well in the Cell-

I see him at 3rd with Ramierez going back to second-where we won a division with him there

Ramirez is going to play SS next season, unless he's traded. Beckham will man 2B or 3B, and Teahen will man RF or 3B.

I could also see Teahen being Kotsay's replacement, even if Ozzie wanted Kotsay back, though with more versatility over the entire field.

As someone said maybe he is a replacement for Kotsay. He could fill in at the corner OF spots, 1B, 3B and 2B. But, is that worth losing your starting 2B?

I really dont mind Teahen at all, but he's a role player. If they truly plan on using him in RF they'd better acquire an impact bat at either 3B or 2B.

I wonder if his defense would be good enough to start at 2B? His bat at that position would make this entirely different.

Interesting trade.

Thank God Fields is gone, never was a fan of his. Getz also was just average to me, potentially a 2 hole hitter or 9 hitter but nothing I was overly thrilled about. Neither player I really am going to miss.

I've always liked Teahen, he has shown he can hit for average in the majors, lets just hope he can do that consistently now. He definitely adds a lot of versatility.

I'm guessing this means Ramirez might slide to 2B and Beckham to SS or perhaps Beckham to 2B and Ramirez to SS. Unless they think Nix is our 2B, I hope not.

To me this opens up a spot in our infield at 3B or 2B.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 5, 2009 -> 10:50 AM)
So Placido Polanco stole SEVEN bases last year and got caught twice. If the Sox go after him, we'll still need speed.

I think Kenny has something else up his sleeve. I HOPE Kenny has something else up his sleeve...

Rios could steal 20-25

Ramirez could steal 20-25

Beckham could steal 10-15

If Pods is back and healthy he could swipe 25-35

We have some players who could steal bases, but Getz was our best at doing it.

And only hours into the off season, K-Dubya announces the Sox are around and making noise. The marketing people applaud!! This trade seems to be a win-win for both teams. I have some misgivings, can see how this could turn ugly, but overall, nice move.