Beckham's Deep Thoughts on playing 2nd base

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

These quotes are from a recent article on Whitesox.com http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

Maybe we're all talked out about the trade but there are a lot of negatives to KW's announcement about Teahan at 3rd and Beckham at 2nd. We all know Beckham's idol is Derek Jeter and we why shouldn't he be ? Hes a SS , a leader, the captain of the infield, a clutch hitter in the postseason, perennial all-star and future Hall of Famer , everything Beckham thrives to be. We all have been told ad nauseum why Beckham "projects" to be a better 3rd or 2nd baseman rather than SS. But if you think along the lines of what a SS like Jeter means to his team Beckham fills that role 10X better than Alexei Ramirez. With a second position change in 2 years the Sox are screwing with the franchise players head. I'm not advocating Beckham be switched to SS because frankly he MIGHT not have the physical tools to pull it off. As far as the mental skills and leadership qualities Beckham would make an ideal SS.

With arguably the best starting pitching in the American league why has defense yet again taken a back seat ? The infield as it stands now is a defensive nightmare waiting to happen at worst and mediocre at best.

I can't seem to find the position I've played my whole career," Beckham told MLB.com with a bit of a laugh, being that he is a natural shortstop who has circled that defensive spot but has never landed on it at the big league level.

"When the offseason started, I was kind of locked into thinking I would play third," Beckham said. "But I want to do whatever helps this team. If they want to move me to second, then that is something I'm going to do."

"I don't really care what spot I have, as long as I know what I'm playing," Beckham said. "It seems like the weight was off me coming into the offseason knowing I had a full year at third base under my belt. So, now I kind of have to re-do learning how to play a new position.

"I've played a lot more second than third. I know how to play it and how to do it. I guess part of me was thinking at least I wouldn't I have to figure out something new because I felt comfortable at third.

"Ultimately, it's not my decision," Beckham said. "The way I look at it, I do know it better than third, so I just have to figure out the intricacies and learn the position to make plays and be a productive defender. It will take my mind off of hitting, which is a good thing. The less I think about hitting, the better I do."

"Chris and Josh were my two closest friends on the team, so it's really not easy. To see both of them go, it's going to be tough," Beckham said. "It's hard for me because it's another new position and hard for me because I'm playing a position that was held by one of my closest friends on the team.

"I'm not sure the politics involved in it, and it's not for me to say anything about it. I know [manager] Ozzie [Guillen] liked Chris and I agreed. He can play second and do a bunch of great things. He can do things on the field a lot can't. It's going to be tough to replace him."

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I've played a lot more second than third. I know how to play it and how to do it. I guess part of me was thinking at least I wouldn't I have to figure out something new because I felt comfortable at third.

Reason I am not worried about Beckham at 2b

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 06:05 AM)
Cali the question you'd have to ask yourself is would Gordon Beckham give you better defense at SS than what Alexei Ramirez gave this season?

That is debatable to say the least.

Yes I know. I brought up that point myself but if we look at Derek Jeter as the model of the qualities a SS like Jeter brings to the table besides defense Beckham is a way better candidate for that role than Alexei . Again maybe he is better off at 2nd base but we all know deep down inside Beckham see's Jeter as his role model. My main concern is the infield defense as a whole and screwing around with the one guy on the Sox we all want here for a long time. Beckham at 2nd could turn out to be the best defender on the infield.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 09:02 AM)
Ehh, not even close to as turbulent as the bears. For 7 years it was ventura, then carousel, then for quite a few years it was Crede.

And each one a future hall of famer ;) which was more to my point.

Edit: I should have said consistency of quality in my earlier post. Sorry.

It's interesting he's had a similar career path as Ryne Sandberg.

Drafted as and played SS in the minors.

Moved to 3B for rookie year.

Played 2B the rest of his career.

I hope Beckham stays there. He'll have a good chance at being a perennial All-Star.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 06:03 AM)
Reason I am not worried about Beckham at 2b

He's played 2nd in 2007 in the Cape Cod league and in 2008 in the AFL and not at all in the majors. And another point I'd like to make is we all have heard the arguments that Beckham at 2nd would put him among baseball elite 2nd baseman. While this is true you have to examine why it's that way. Generally and historically teams do not want their best players at 2nd base. It's a very high contact/risk position. The Sox have already lost much of their power from last year and with Konerko at the top of the list to provide any kind of major salary relief we could lose even more. Imagine the outcry if, God forbid, we lose Beckham to an injury due to a collision at 2nd base. That's why is so rare to have guys like Utley , Sandberg and Morgan at a position like 2nd base.

At this point in time the hitting , infield defense , bullpen, one outfield position, and DH all look pretty weak. That's a ton of holes to fill with hardly any salary left to fill them. I'd be much happier knowing the hitting will be weak if the infield and outfield defense was good to support the starting pitching. That way the only thing left to improve would be the bullpen.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 07:41 AM)
Don't like to hear Beckham even mentioning something about the "politics involved with it". I can't wait for these veterans to leave, as there's no doubt the clubhouse will be better off for it.

Most of them are already gone with the exceptions of the old core being Kornerko , AJ ,and Buerhle.

This is a lot of handwringing over nothing. Teams often move their best prospects/athletes around to fill needs and get their bat in the lineup (Pujols, Miggy Cabrera, etc). The White Sox are making a savvy move because it's easier to get an average to above-average bat to fill in at 3B than it is at 2B.

I expect Beckham to be a better defensive second baseman than Getz was and I expect him to take the transition in stride. He's not some fragile hot-house flower.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)
Cali the question you'd have to ask yourself is would Gordon Beckham give you better defense at SS than what Alexei Ramirez gave this season?

That is debatable to say the least.

As long as Ramirez is paying attention, he's pretty good. If Frank Thomas was the White Sox first baseman in 2009, Alexei would have had 40 errors. One article I read about the SS/2B debate with Beckham is the injury factor. It is easier to get hurt as a 2B especially on DPs.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 08:31 AM)
I fail to read where he is "not that thrilled"...

That seems more of your opinion and interpetation that Gordan actual thoughts.

I can't seem to find the position I've played my whole career,"

"When the offseason started, I was kind of locked into thinking I would play third,"

. "It seems like the weight was off me coming into the offseason knowing I had a full year at third base under my belt. So, now I kind of have to re-do learning how to play a new position.

" I guess part of me was thinking at least I wouldn't I have to figure out something new because I felt comfortable at third.

"Ultimately, it's not my decision,"

"It's hard for me because it's another new position "

"I'm not sure the politics involved in it, and it's not for me to say anything about it.

OK I took all the positive things out now and left in the somewhat perplexing or negative ones. According to the quotes it's basically hard on him, he has to figure out something new or re-do learning a new position, he'd rather be a SS and he sees politics involved in it. I don't think I'm out of line nor the only one who see's these quotes as a mixed bag of saying the all right things along with his personal feelings about it mixed in.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
I can't seem to find the position I've played my whole career,"

"When the offseason started, I was kind of locked into thinking I would play third,"

. "It seems like the weight was off me coming into the offseason knowing I had a full year at third base under my belt. So, now I kind of have to re-do learning how to play a new position.

" I guess part of me was thinking at least I wouldn't I have to figure out something new because I felt comfortable at third.

"Ultimately, it's not my decision,"

"It's hard for me because it's another new position "

"I'm not sure the politics involved in it, and it's not for me to say anything about it.

OK I took all the positive things out now and left in the somewhat perplexing or negative ones. According to the quotes it's basically hard on him, he has to figure out something new or re-do learning a new position, he'd rather be a SS and he sees politics involved in it. I don't think I'm out of line nor the only one who see's these quotes as a mixed bag of saying the all right things along with his personal feelings about it mixed in.

I think he's more bummed out that his two best buddies are gone.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)
This is a lot of handwringing over nothing. Teams often move their best prospects/athletes around to fill needs and get their bat in the lineup (Pujols, Miggy Cabrera, etc). The White Sox are making a savvy move because it's easier to get an average to above-average bat to fill in at 3B than it is at 2B.

I expect Beckham to be a better defensive second baseman than Getz was and I expect him to take the transition in stride. He's not some fragile hot-house flower.

I agree I think Beckham can handle it also, but if we see a sophomore slump or he's get injured at 2nd base there would be plenty of speculation on the negative impact of another position change.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 08:51 AM)
As long as Ramirez is paying attention, he's pretty good. If Frank Thomas was the White Sox first baseman in 2009, Alexei would have had 40 errors. One article I read about the SS/2B debate with Beckham is the injury factor. It is easier to get hurt as a 2B especially on DPs.

I brought that up in post #9 maybe you didn't see it.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
Not really related to this discussion, but I'm calling it right now: the 2010 All Star Ballot will list Beckham as a 3rd Basemen

Thereby screwing him out of a starter position.

I thought they set the positions for the ballot during ST?

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
Not really related to this discussion, but I'm calling it right now: the 2010 All Star Ballot will list Beckham as a 3rd Basemen

Thereby screwing him out of a starter position.

Yeah, the team turns that in to the league in March. I think he's safe being listed as a 2B...as long as he's not moved before then.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Nov 7, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)

tell me who and/or how many. And I am talking everyday starters here. GB is expected to change posiiton 3 times in two years? I hope this isn't the impact move that management seems to think will put us over the top cause I am not buying it.