Is Frank Thomas HOF Worthy?

Marky Mark

Presupposing that his playing days are over, where does Big Frank stand in terms of Hall of the Fame?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Does Frank Thomas Deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Frank Thomas Be In the Hall of Fame?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank Thomas was the second best hitter in the 1990s and the best right handed hitter of the 1990s. The fact that he testified in Congress during the steroid discussion and was the only active player who was never accused nor caught using steroids to help in coming up with the Mitchell Report.

As funny as this will sound, Frank Thomas's character, along with his on the field accomplishments of course, is what is going to get him into the Hall of Fame, and it should be on the first ballot.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
Same here. The question should be is Thomas a unanamous first ballot choice.

If Cal Ripken & Tony Gwynn recently weren't unanimous, then I'm sure Big Frank won't be, although that strictly has to due with the d-bag ness of a few voters, which is a whole other topic

Frank's 94 season was Barry Bonds post-2001 caliber. He would have had 55-60 home runs and 150+ RBI with an OPS over 1.200.

The guy has a career OPS+ of 156, which is 20 points higher than Ken Griffey Jr.'s career OPS+, somebody most consider a sure first-ballot hall of famer.

If Frank doesn't get in first-ballot, something is wrong with baseball.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
This is a tough one because they're were a lot of good offensive players in his day that will be competing against him for the Hall. Answer this with your head, not your heart.

This is not a tough one at all, not even close. The question should be is he a first ballot HOF.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
Frank Thomas was the second best hitter in the 1990s and the best right handed hitter of the 1990s. The fact that he testified in Congress during the steroid discussion and was the only active player who was never accused nor caught using steroids to help in coming up with the Mitchell Report.

As funny as this will sound, Frank Thomas's character, along with his on the field accomplishments of course, is what is going to get him into the Hall of Fame, and it should be on the first ballot.

Frank's ranks amongst all players with 4000+ PA between '90 and '99:

H: 11th (1564)

2B: 11th (317)

HR: 9th (301) the list ahead of him is just sad: Canseco, Palmeiro, Sosa, J. Gonzalez, Belle, Bonds, Griffey, McGwire

RBI: 6th (1040) Only 59 behind the leader: Albert Belle

BB: 2nd (1076) #1: Bonds

IBB: 3rd (133) Griffey and Bonds ahead of him

AVG: 4th (.320) #3 Edgar Martinez, #2 Mike Piazza and #1 Tony Gwynn

OBP: 1st (.440) #2 Bonds at .432

OPS: 3rd (1.013) #2 McGwire, #1 Bonds. Frank finished 23 points back up Bonds but 47 points ahead of #4 Mike Piazza

RC: 2nd (1292) #1 Bonds in runs created

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2048467:date=Nov 24, 2009 -> 11:23 AM:name=witesoxfan)-->
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)
<!--quotec-->Frank Thomas was the second best hitter in the 1990s and the best right handed hitter of the 1990s. The fact that he testified in Congress during the steroid discussion and was the only active player who was never accused nor caught using steroids to help in coming up with the Mitchell Report.

Frank's ranks amongst all players with 4000+ PA between '90 and '99:

H: 11th (1564)

2B: 11th (317)

HR: 9th (301) the list ahead of him is just sad: Canseco, Palmeiro, Sosa, J. Gonzalez, Belle, Bonds, Griffey, McGwire

RBI: 6th (1040) Only 59 behind the leader: Albert Belle

BB: 2nd (1076) #1: Bonds

IBB: 3rd (133) Griffey and Bonds ahead of him

AVG: 4th (.320) #3 Edgar Martinez, #2 Mike Piazza and #1 Tony Gwynn

OBP: 1st (.440) #2 Bonds at .432

OPS: 3rd (1.013) #2 McGwire, #1 Bonds. Frank finished 23 points back up Bonds but 47 points ahead of #4 Mike Piazza

RC: 2nd (1292) #1 Bonds in runs created

Wow, just awesome. :chair

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
Frank's 94 season was Barry Bonds post-2001 caliber. He would have had 55-60 home runs and 150+ RBI with an OPS over 1.200.

Frank's '94 season had a legitimate chance of going down as the greatest single-season performance in the HISTORY of the sport. Ruth? Mantle? Williams? Mays? Anybody. Name 'em. Not only did Frank have a better than 50% chance of winning the triple crown, he was leading the league in OBP, SLG, R, and BB. He was 4th in hits, 3rd in total bases, 3rd in doubles, and had an unheard of (unless you're roided up) OPS+ of 211.

I'll never, ever, ever get over losing that season. The 2005 championship didn't get me over it. 5 titles in a row won't get me over it. Matter a fact, I'm going to slaughter some innocent animals later tonight. That should help a little bit.

Huge Frnak Thomas fan here and I sure he gets in but maybe not first ballott.

My question, did the steroid scandel actually escalate his status as his perceived cleanliness and being in front of the steroid outcry overcome his sullen reputation. Will voters and purists take a more favorable look at him now than compared to if there was no steroid scandel?

Also if he retires after 2004 wouldthe higher batting average have helped or are the 500 homers more important? I belive his career average may have dropped almost 20 points from 2000 but I could be wrong.

Look at that rankings above and see how many of those guys are steroid guys. Although I think Bonds was clean up until 1998.

It will be interesting to see how the McGwire, Bonds, Palmerio, Sosa voting plays out prior to Thomas becoming eligible.

Maddux, Biggio and Thomas would be a great class although I think Clemens is in there as well.....or is Clemens with Bonds??? Also Biggio and Thomas may not be first ballot.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
Maddux, Biggio and Thomas would be a great class although I think Clemens is in there as well.....or is Clemens with Bonds??? Also Biggio and Thomas may not be first ballot.

Clemens is absolutely with Bonds. If he were to get in, the writers will let him sit on his ass for a good 5-6 years prior to voting him in.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 12:17 PM)
My question, did the steroid scandel actually escalate his status as his perceived cleanliness and being in front of the steroid outcry overcome his sullen reputation. Will voters and purists take a more favorable look at him now than compared to if there was no steroid scandel?
Yes.

Also if he retires after 2004 wouldthe higher batting average have helped or are the 500 homers more important? I belive his career average may have dropped almost 20 points from 2000 but I could be wrong.
The 500 homers are more important. The only 500 HR guys who won't be in the Hall are the juicers.

Clemens is more likely to wind up in jail than the HOF right now.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Nov 24, 2009 -> 02:17 PM)
Huge Frnak Thomas fan here and I sure he gets in but maybe not first ballott.

Look at that rankings above and see how many of those guys are steroid guys. Although I think Bonds was clean up until 1998.

It will be interesting to see how the McGwire, Bonds, Palmerio, Sosa voting plays out prior to Thomas becoming eligible.

500 HR is the big one.

He had a .321/.440/.579/1.018 career line going into the 2001 season but only 344 HR, that's not good enough.

After '04: .308/.429/.567/.996 and 436 HR

After '07: .303/.421/.561/.982 and 513 HR

And now: .301/.419/ .555/.974 and 521 HR