Winter Meetings?

balfanman

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 02:32 PM)
From moron's twitter:

Ugh

I am actually shocked that Ozzie said Quentin for RF. If he''s anything like he was in Zona a couple years back and in the minors/college, our OF will be greatly improved defensively with Rios in CF and Q in RF.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

White Sox bide time at Meetings in Indy

Club patiently exploring options for leadoff hitter, power bat

12/07/09 7:59 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ken Williams made the leisurely drive from U.S. Cellular Field to the Marriott in downtown Indianapolis on Monday, arriving at Major League Baseball's 2009 Winter Meetings sometime around mid-afternoon.

complete winter meetings coverage

And the White Sox general manager really didn't have to be in the house even that early.

Filling out the 2010 White Sox roster, through either a power-packed bat or a fleet-footed leadoff type, seems unlikely to take place this week. In fact, it might not happen until after the calendar switches to 2010, when, to steal a line from one-time Bears coach Dave Wannstedt, all the pieces are in place for the South Siders.

Williams didn't have any meetings lined up for these four days in the city made famous by Peyton Manning and Reggie Miller. This dearth of meetings, though, doesn't exactly represent a change in Winter Meetings operating practice for the White Sox, who view deals throughout their entire season with the same sort of importance.

"We never go into an offseason with an offseason shopping list because that is ongoing, just as it was in June and July and August," said Williams, during his media briefing Monday evening. "It's difficult to place too much importance on one meeting when we are always trying to acquire the best talent with the best fit.

"There's always one more move to make," Williams said.

That one move figures to be a left-handed hitter, and it probably will come in the form of an outfielder but also could be a designated-hitter candidate. Manager Ozzie Guillen stressed during his Monday interview session that he wasn't interested in a player who solely would serve as a DH, seemingly ruling out a return for favorite son Jim Thome.

Nothing seems set in stone, though, with the tender date of Dec. 12 certainly opening up more, somewhat cost-efficient options and not pushing the White Sox to rush to any sort of solution. Pat Rooney, Thome's longtime representative, planned to meet with the White Sox this week, just to get an overall feel of the team's thought process, but any return for Thome would come near the end of the offseason.

"At the end of all of this, we'll sit down and take a look at where we are at, for that given time," Williams said. "Everyone knows I have the utmost respect for Jim Thome, the man and the player. But he's got to see what's available, and we have to see who we are and what type of team we want to field."

Along with taking questions about Thome's possible return, Williams mentioned assistant general manager Rick Hahn and Ryan Gleichowski, Scott Podsednik's representative, continued to have contractual conversations. Podsednik's camp is pushing for a two-year deal, taking a chance that the White Sox one-year offer still will be available if the two-year deal never materializes.

As far as rating his optimism for a potential Podsednik return, Williams didn't have a definitive feeling in either direction.

"Early on, we made no secret that we felt there was a place for Pods and we made overtures to that effect," said Williams. "They expressed to us how he wanted to test the market and we respect his right to do that, but we told them that we were going to continue moving down the road. We don't allow any player to hold us hostage and wait around for them to get on their timetable. We operate on our own timetable.

"Obviously, we still have roster spots to fill and he's still out there. So, if he has a sincere desire in terms of fit and in terms of dollars that match up, it's time to get serious."

The name of World Series Most Valuable Player Hideki Matsui also was brought up to Williams and Guillen in their respective sessions. Williams chose not to get into specifics for any player not previously associated with his team, and while Guillen praised Matsui's efforts for the Yankees, the veteran needs to be judged by the White Sox as capable of doing something aside from hitting the baseball with authority.

"You know, Andruw [Jones], we need one more guy that could be him," said Guillen, when asked about Matsui. "But he'd have to show us he can play the outfield, too."

Of course, the length of deal and money requested by Matsui as a free agent would influence any interest from the White Sox, with Williams telling MLB.com last week that the team currently finds itself in a "holding pattern." But Williams has time to make these decisions.

Options exist within the system. If the big move doesn't come in Indianapolis or over the next two months, there's always the in-season possibility to strengthen the squad.

"We're kind of excited about what we have," Guillen said. "I don't think Kenny needs the Winter Meetings to make deals."

Scott Merkin is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Filling out the 2010 White Sox roster, through either a power-packed bat or a fleet-footed leadoff type, seems unlikely to take place this week.

It's this either-or s*** that's really bothering me. Everything I'm reading in the press keeps hinting at the Sox only having one hole to fill (outfielder) and just using the bench (Jones/Kotsay) as rotating DHs. In fact, Guillen has pretty much implied this. This team definitely needs a legit left-handed power bat for the middle of the lineup, whether this be at DH or in the OF. He doesn't have to be Adrian Gonzalez, but he's got to be someone we can count on. A true leadoff hitter would also be nice but is not necessary. A hitter with an above-average OBP and solid speed would be more than fine. I understand we don't have unlimited funds, but throwing away the DH spot on Jones/Kotsay would beyond stupid. Would any team get less offensive production from the spot than us? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 7, 2009 -> 10:21 PM)
I am actually shocked that Ozzie said Quentin for RF. If he''s anything like he was in Zona a couple years back and in the minors/college, our OF will be greatly improved defensively with Rios in CF and Q in RF.

That had been mentioned before, but I don't remember if it was if we got Figgins or someone else in a trade and put them in LF

Kenny asked few times if he will make a deal during the meetings..

# Scott Merkin

Kenny on making a move at the WM: "We would like to. You always would like to get better. What we are striving for is to get better ...."

More KW: "It’s an opportunity while we are here, so we might as well do something. Jerry is paying a lot of money for the rooms."

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
It sounds like Kenny and Rick were in a lot of trade talks today. Something is bound to happen Wednesday.

yeah today is the big day...stuff rarely happen the last day (which is tomorrow) as i think most teams end up leaving before noon even.....i would imagine that if somethign happens, it will be today

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 07:00 AM)
yeah today is the big day...stuff rarely happen the last day (which is tomorrow) as i think most teams end up leaving before noon even.....i would imagine that if somethign happens, it will be today

Teams really seem to be waiting for the non-tenders to happen. Why trade for a guy, when his equal could come on the market for cheaper and for no one out of your system?

QUOTE (flavum @ Dec 8, 2009 -> 06:14 PM)
No. They're surrounded by Cubs, Cardinals, and Reds fans. Probably a few Sox fans too.

I don't know.

Most baseball fans there right now are fairly casual.

Guess the cities by population.

Indianapolis

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Kansas City

Minneapolis

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 09:59 AM)
I don't know.

Most baseball fans there right now are fairly casual.

Guess the cities by population.

Indianapolis

Cincinnati

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Kansas City

Minneapolis

Does that count teh metropolitan areas though?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 9, 2009 -> 04:55 PM)
I wish someting other then conjecture would be flotating around about the Sox, right now. but as we know KW always works in under the radar.

This has been a pretty boring winter meetings for most teams.