Who are you pulling for as the DH?

caulfield12

The sox almost have to sign Vlad, with his salary being in the $5-7 mill a yr range. While it is true the sox lack a power lefty bat, Vlad can hit both RHP and LHP well--with his hitting better vs. RHP in recent years.

The sox are counting on everything going right for the hitters to be a middle of the pack offense. They need Quentin, Rios, Teahen and Lexi to improve their averages and OPS' from '09. They need AJ and Pierre to repeat their high avg's. They need Gordon to improve. They need PK to be consistent. Conservatively, two of these guys won't hit to career norms. AJ is most likely to see a drop off, as he had a near career year offensively. PK is due for another sub career year. Not to mention an injury could occur that would put a lesser bat into the everyday lineup. For the record, I think Rios, Teahen should improve, and Quentin if he stays healthy. Pierre also seems a good bet to produce with his fresh legs thse last 2 years. Yet going into the season expecting all those pieces to fall into place is too much to ask.

Getting a bat like Vlad for DH would lessen the pressure on the offense. He can hit for average, power and get on base. I don't see PK as DH--he's almost in a platoon situation with his weak splits vs. RHP. The rotating of lesser hitters at DH such as Kotsay, Jones, Tyler Flowers-should he stick with the club, is a poor excuse under the guise of "flexibility". I can see this argument in the 2nd half in order to get guys some rest. But why have a big hole in the offense for 4 months and try and address the gap via trade at the deadline? Better the Sox spend a little extra cash now getting off to a good start in the standings-which will have more people coming out to the park-than having a little financial flexibility so they can add salary at the deadline.

You really make me want Vlad. Is there any rumors at all that he is coming to Chicago? Or just 100% speculation on our behalf?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
TCQ is in harm's way every time he steps into the batter's box.

I agree. This is why I don't entirely buy the Quentin-as-DH to keep healthy. He has just about as much of a chance of getting injured at the plate (HBP in the wrist/hand, etc., running to first base) than he does in RF.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
You really make me want Vlad. Is there any rumors at all that he is coming to Chicago? Or just 100% speculation on our behalf?

Just speculation. But there are only so many teams that need a DH, and plenty of DH types available.

Ozzie would know a thing or two about Vlad, having coached the Expos in 2001 when Vlad was, IIRC, 26 yrs old.

The sox haven't been mentioned with Vlad-Not that I'd expect the Sox to be advertising their interest in a DH at this point. With the glut of surplus bats out there, any team could swoop in and make a deal in a relatively short time. Kenny did say a player might become available and hence, more affordable later in the offseason. It's now later in the offseason.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
I don't think its outrageous to think Jermaine Dye will outproduce Jim Thome next year, if given similar roles. I don't think Dye would settle for a similar role, however- he'll probably want more money, years or defensive positions.

It's not outrageous, but there's no solid reason to believe it will happen.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
It's not outrageous, but there's no solid reason to believe it will happen.

Dye 2009: .250/.340/.453 (.793 OPS), 19 2B, 27 HR, 81 RBIs

Thome 2009: .249/.366/.481 (.847 OPS), 15 2B, 23 HR, 77 RBIs

From their '09 lines, I agree Thome had the better overall season. But what do you project them to do in '10? Dye is about 4 years younger and, if he limited himself to DH, capable of putting up similar or better stats than a 39-year-old Thome, who profiles more like a platoon player these days. Dye had a disastrous second half last year that he is likely to improve on. With Thome, what you see is what you get, minus some expected decline for age. Also, Thome and his balky back are more likely to get injured even limited to DH, while Dye (mostly leg problems) might see an upturn in his health if he avoided the field. We've seen in the past that even minor injuries have a major affect on Dye's hitting.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
In his Sunday, MLB Whispers column, Phil Rogers speculates KW might consider Russell Branyan, had not thought about him and not sure I'm a big fan.

He'd be a solid option if Andruw is getting a bulk of the ABs when a lefty is on the mound. I thought a return to Seattle was in his future though.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
Branyan has MASSIVE pop, but he would be hated here for his K's.

Tons of K's versus tons of non-K outs..... it seems like very often the latter situation is hated less, even when it comes sans power totals.

Hey at least Branyan cant GIDP if he's striking out. And we dont have to bat him that high either...

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jan 9, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Tons of K's versus tons of non-K outs..... it seems like very often the latter situation is hated less, even when it comes sans power totals.

Hey at least Branyan cant GIDP if he's striking out. And we dont have to bat him that high either...

If you sign Branyan, you have to hit him in the cleanup spot

Branyan basically put up the same numbers Thome put up last year and it was considered a breakout season for him at 33. Who knows about his back. Thome is older between the 2 but has a far superior track record and probably is the better bet matching the 2009 numbers or at least being close to them of the two. I'd pass on Branyan.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 07:57 AM)
Branyan basically put up the same numbers Thome put up last year and it was considered a breakout season for him at 33. Who knows about his back. Thome is older between the 2 but has a far superior track record and probably is the better bet matching the 2009 numbers or at least being close to them of the two. I'd pass on Branyan.

I don't think we can count on Big Jim to be the hitter the Sox need at this point in his career. Branyan's health (back) and career numbers give me reservations about signing him as well. I don't see the answer to the White Sox DH vacancy anywhere on the free agent market. Matsui would have been an ideal fit, but with him gone, there's no great or even good LH option still out there.

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 10, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
Branyon? No way, not what Ozzie wants. This will probably get laughed at, but how about Vizquel and bat him second?

Vizquel's only plus for pretty much his whole career has been his defense. DHing him would be moronic. Then again, our manager is Ozzie Guillen, so I guess it's a near certainty to happen.